What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
7Wannabe5

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Frita:

We get some delivery from Walmart.com through Fed-Ex. We get fresh food via my BF’s ex-wife. She orders on line and does drive-thru pick-up at a grocery store wearing a mask. The worker puts it right in the back of her van. Then she puts our food in the garage for my BF to pick up the next day. She is younger, so less at risk, and lives with their 6’2” 14 year old son who demands a ton of food. It’s a good deal for her because my BF pays for everything on top of his usual child support etc.

@whitebelt:

I think that was the most balanced, sensible advice in the topic that I have ever read on this forum.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@White Belt

Great post. But to clarify one point - the 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. It is actually 1 gram per pound of lean body mass....so if you're 190 pound male with 20% body fat, your lean mass is 152 pounds...so 152 grams of protein. Big 38 gram difference here. Also...individuals with a higher body fat % (greater than 20% or so), can "get away with" eating slightly less protein and still retain lean mass.

Though more protein certainly does not hurt if calorie deficit is maintained.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

new (?) theory postulates that a) we have multiple appetites for 5 nutrients, not a single one, and b) hunger for protein comes first, and meeting your protein needs first will reduce hunger for other macros
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ur-health/

this isn’t keto, but explains why keto/atkins/paleo might work without “insulin spike” explanations.

white belt

Post by white belt »

@Lemur

Well I've dug into some more research regarding protein intake, and it seems I did mischaracterize the consensus of 1 gram per pound of body weight. Recommended protein intakes for healthy (not morbidly obese) individuals seem to range from .8-1.3g/lb of BW depending on various factors.
Eric Helms wrote:I think ~0.8-1g/lb (~1.8-2.2g/kg) is probably the highest intake you’ll benefit from in terms of enhancing strength or mass gains when you’re not in a deficit. Higher intakes are fine, but the only benefit would be for people who tend to overeat in the offseason and want to limit their calorie consumption to prevent excess fat gain.

While dieting, the jury is still out concerning whether there’s a benefit from an intake higher than 1.8-2.2g/kg for muscle retention. However, there probably are some benefits in terms of satiety and potentially mood. That said, I wouldn’t go too high, as excess protein can displace your caloric allotment for carbs and fat. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and end up with a sub-par diet in terms of variety, micronutrient density, and adequate nutritional support for training. Thus, I’d cap dieting protein intake at ~2.8g/kg of total body mass, or roughly 1.3g/lb.
Source: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/refle ... g-protein/

Meanwhile, this review recommends .7g/lb BW for healthy individuals trying to gain some muscle. They do note that morbidly obese individuals should use their target bodyweight, not their actual bodyweight.

So given that we are talking about protein intake in a hypocaloric diet in this thread, I stand by my recommendation of 1g/lb of BW.

Edit: note that some of these sources focus on athletes, but I'd argue that any true ERE Renaissance (Wo)Man should think of him/herself as an athlete

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Does anyone know any good food or snacks that keep you full, but have low caloric count, and are either easy to access or prepare/make? Hopefully they are also sustainable ERE wise.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Boiled potatoes will do that. They do contain calories but the fullness/calorie ratio is one of the best. They're also cheap.

A better strategy is to wean off the body's tendency to keep constantly high insulin levels (which causes the sensation of hunger among other more chronic problems) and the feeling of being full. If nothing else, it provides an emotionally convincing alternative to snacking on cold potatoes.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jacob wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 am
A better strategy is to wean off the body's tendency to keep constantly high insulin levels (which causes the sensation of hunger among other more chronic problems) and the feeling of being full.
☝️ this

whenever i need to lose weight i reduce carbs, and soon enough intermittent fasting becomes highly possible

going from a simple starches diet to fasting state is difficult

going from some semi-keto thing to fasting state is nearly seamless

ps- i believe cold potato is resistant starch and behaves differently from fresh cooked. same with cold rice (24h refrigeration).

ThriftyRob

Post by ThriftyRob »

There are many competing schools of thought on eating for weight loss. The ketos argue for protein, healthy fats and no carbs – many of them get very confused about what carbs are though. The plant-based school, epitomised by Dr John McDougall, is pro-starch, anti protein, zero fat. His diet is pretty similar (in content if not execution) to the Gerson therapy which appears to have restorative effects for the immune system. The third main group is the fasting school (5 plus 2 and variations on this).

It has been question how two such opposing diets can be effective (plant and keto) and some proponents of the rival diets acknowledge that some people do better on one type of diet than the other. I got nowhere with keto (healthy fats are just not my thing) yet the pounds fell away following McDougall. Gerson is very close to a juice fast and is probably the fastest way to effect beneficial change, albeit it is a demanding regime to follow.

EricaR

Post by EricaR »

A cup of oats for breakfast is my choice.. I'm suffering cholesterol too..So, I eat a cup of oats with sliced bananas.. Not too delicious..but helps to maintain my health

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I know this is 'controversial' for some reason (it shouldn't be) but all diets are designed, one way or another, to trick a person into eating less calories. It really doesn't matter from a high-level if one is eating a higher carb or lower carb diet for weight loss. Yes some people do feel better on one or the other; that is for the user to figure out. Generally if one is insulin sensitive, they're better with the carbs. If one is insulin resistant, they're better with the lower carbs. Anyone who is significantly overweight will probably benefit a bit more with the lower carbohydrate approach due to this reason. Not to mention the initial drop in water loss is motivating when seen on the scale.

https://www.stephanguyenet.com/referenc ... xperience/

Anyhow, I've officially dropped 10 pounds the past month. I'm one pound away from being in a normal BMI range with the end goal to be 22 BMI. I just track my calories on a notepad (1700 calories a day) that I keep by my work station at home. I don't overthink the protein/carb/fat ratios: just hit the calories, eat whole foods like fruits, veggies, lean meats, workout occasionally, stay hydrated. It has been almost too easy.

Recommended Reading:
viewtopic.php?p=187822#p187822

One last note, +1 on potatoes, also adding +cabbage. Any whole foods that will fill you up but won't cost too many calories. Everything you eat is an opportunity cost for calories. For example, half a Hershey Bar is 110 calories but you could have eaten a whole banana for 105 calories. Mix in the veggies whenever you can; for instance, adding zucchini to eggs. Adding veggies to any sandwiches. Doing a lot of squash soup dishes lately (my personal favorite). + cooking skills also helps immensely. Diets don't have to suck from a taste perspective.