What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
C40

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by C40 »

I appreciate you sharing here :-)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute also likes humans to know how clever he is :D

C40

Post by C40 »

:D :) ;)

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I also appreciate you sharing and clarifying. I respect your smarts and your n=1 experiments, and I believe that only you know what is best for your specific biology. I apologize for calling you defeatist.

I think part of the reason we spar on health topics is I truly never thought I would see you say this:
BRUTE wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm
maybe 100% keto is not for all humans
So, kudos for updating, and may we all think things through as thoroughly as Brute.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute personally prefers the taste of fattier meats: beef, pork. brute finds whey isolate (or other protein powders) terrible, they're not filling at all. but nothing wrong with any of it, it seems more of a personal preference.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Brute: Fattier meat is definitely the way to go imo. It is usually the cheaper meat and fits perfectly into my Keto diet.

Keto seems to be the way to go for me; not only just for weight loss but for lifestyle as well. I feel full of stable energy (no ups or down), never get hungry during the day, I'm more mentally focused, and my bodycomposition just seems to improve subtly day by day. I'm not sleeping any better but when I do wake up in the morning, I'm not as tired as I used to be.

I mainly stick to fatty meats, eggs, cheese, avocados (sparingly...expensive little suckers), and vegetables. For veggies, usually just spinach, kale, Brocolli, and cauliflower. For caluiflower, I just take off a few chunks in the fridge and toss into whatever I'm cooking.

YMMV...I take it some people do better on carbs but some people are insulin resistant and I think diets with very low carbs really help these situations out.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I've done low carb high protein and did fairly well on it. I'm now experimenting with keto for the first time. No real complaints so far, and in terms of general feelings of well being I don't detect much difference between LCHP and LCHF, except maybe I sleep better on LCHF. The only problem is that autumn is coming and I seem to be subject to seasonal rhythms and have strong urges which tend to fatten me up as winter approaches. Fall being the one time of year I indulge in a few hours of day time television per week (yes, football) doesn't help that.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

changes in behavior and body composition in rhythm with the seasons. it's almost as if humans were animals.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 am
changes in behavior and body composition in rhythm with the seasons. it's almost as if humans were animals.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

A new study mentioned in the (failing) NY Times that supports the thesis that CICO isn't an accurate depiction of the metabolic pathways of the body:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/well ... eight.html
But a large new study published on Wednesday in the journal BMJ challenges the conventional wisdom. It found that overweight adults who cut carbohydrates from their diets and replaced them with fat sharply increased their metabolisms. After five months on the diet, their bodies burned roughly 250 calories more per day than people who ate a high-carb, low-fat diet, suggesting that restricting carb intake could help people maintain their weight loss more easily.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

Ketoacidosis results from having insulin issues. If you are not a type 1 diabetic, this is a non-issue.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Gravy Train wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:31 pm
by having a normal* diet and engaging in moderate** exercise.
Well, that's just it, right? The crux of the issue seems to be that there is disagreement on what a "normal" diet is. Is "normal" what most people do? Is "normal" what the human body is evolutionarily adapted to? Is "normal" what the government recommends (which, by the way, isn't "just read this". It's a 144-page PDF)? Low-fat, high-carb? Low-carb, high-fat? 33/33/33 carb/fat/protein? Something else?

If it were "common" sense, we wouldn't have so many fat people running (ahem) around. Me being one of them.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Gravy Train was compelled to be wrong. Ketosis is not dangerous for normal healthy people. The keto diet wasn't "developed" for use with epileptics, it already existed, and they discovered it helped treat it. Doctors can treat you if you're sick, but don't necessarily know jack shit about diets.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

fwiw, brute has been in ketosis for about 3 years straight now - still not dead. but it has shown brute that while a ketogenic can be helpful for fat loss, it is not sufficient as the only factor.

overall, brute believes that diet and exercise are overrated in their roles for fat loss. they are probably only the limiting factor in about 25-50% of humans struggling with body composition. this is why diets/exercise never work for all humans - not all humans are suffering from the same problems.

"normal diet" and "moderate exercise" work unless they don't, which makes them useless advice for most humans that actually have problems losing fat.

body composition is almost purely hormone driven. hormones are influenced by many things, including: diet, exercise, sleep, stress, environment, sunlight, and probably more. thus, all of these can be important factors in body composition, but none of them are necessarily the problem an individual human has to address to improve body composition.

"it depends" is the unfortunate answer.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Just cuz they produce it, don't mean they eat it. Plus, they also make corn (and therefore corn chip and high fructose corn syrup), but I don't see you throwing shade corn's way.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I'm sure they also avoided potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, soda, fruit juices and high carb vegetables.

Also truck driving generally tends not to be the healthiest lifestyle itself...

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Yes.

Even moreso when that someone is a person who has done studies and has facts to back up the assertions. At least more than an anonymous stranger (danger!) who invokes her uncles. :lol:

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Actually most advocates for keto will be advocating for more vegetables, but to be more discerning with your vegetables.

You cut out carb heavy foods and replace them with extra vegetables and meat/cheese/nuts. For vegetables you focus on vegetables low on net carbs(carbs-fiber)

Not trying to be combative, but multiple of your comments have shown a lack of knowledge on what keto actually means for those following the diet.

If you are still eating lots of carbs with your meat/cheese you aren't "basically" eating a keto diet.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Gravy Train wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am
the fact that people are purposefully following a diet that increases their ketone level is disturbing to me.
humans also die from hyperglycemia all the time. yet many humans follow a diet that increases their blood glucose levels.