What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
BRUTE

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Lemur wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm
99% of scientists agree that climate change (global warming) is a real phenomenon. I relate this to calories in - calories out theory; the vast majority of dietitians will agree that if you burn more energy than you put into your body, you will lose weight
*shrug*

brute tried it, and defeated the theory. multiple times. one time he weighed everything he consumed for 1 month straight. the other time, he designed a pre-planned meal that he ate as his only meal for 1 month straight. same meal every time.

brute does not care if 99% of humans agree on something if he can disprove it trivially with his own experiment.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Something occurred to me while walking around today that I don't remember being discussed in this thread. What kind of gains are you looking for? For someone just trying to get back down to the normal BMI range, perhaps calories in calories out is more important or at very least relevant (i.e. reducing calories leads to weight loss). This person is likely dropping the ball on many fronts and thus gains will be physiologically (though not necessarily mentally) easier.

However, if you're trying to get from 9% to 8% bodyfat you're playing a whole different game. You're going to need to be really in tune with your body and I imagine things like sleep and type of food eaten may play a much larger roll here. Perhaps discrepancy in goals between individuals could explain some of the discrepancy in success of different methods?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 pm

that certainly makes sense. for the record, brute was nowhere near the "crazy low bodybuilder" body composition (unfortunately).

brute could almost believe that the opposite is true: if there's a lot of fat to be lost, finding the right bottleneck will yield major, easy changes in body composition, as did fixing sleep + IF + keto for brute. to go from there to six-pack abs, maybe a lot more fine-tuning needs to happen, possibly even on the level of counting calories.

iopsi

Post by iopsi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Lemur wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm
I think we could all agree that eating less calories than your body requires results in weight loss? That is easy. What is difficult is what is lost. Muscle? Fat? Bones? Organ? Water? Tissue? It is probably some combination of all of these things; however, the ratios of what is loss is heavily dependent on many factors and genetics....

What has worked for me:
  • Higher levels of protein
  • A limit on carbohydrates (100g)
  • Refraining from added sugar (hard limit at 10grams) ; this includes fruit but I limit fruit to only one or two pieces.
  • Healthy fats? I try to stick to coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
The major factors that determine whether you preserve muscle during weight loss are: body fat % that you are starting at and the one you want to reach, amount of protein, training volume.

Generally when one start at higher bf %, you might even gain muscle while you lose fat if you train hard. Otherwise, the best one can do is roughly maintain what one has, which is done by eating lots of protein (it is suggested 1.6 and 2.2 g per kg if you are relatively lean and want to get leaner, like 15%/12% to 10%/8%) and moderate/high training volume. This will tell the body that you need those muscles, so they will be spared for the most part.

Lemur

Post by Lemur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:05 pm

iopsi wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 pm
The major factors that determine whether you preserve muscle during weight loss are: body fat % that you are starting at and the one you want to reach, amount of protein, training volume.

Generally when one start at higher bf %, you might even gain muscle while you lose fat if you train hard. Otherwise, the best one can do is roughly maintain what one has, which is done by eating lots of protein (it is suggested 1.6 and 2.2 g per kg if you are relatively lean and want to get leaner, like 15%/12% to 10%/8%) and moderate/high training volume. This will tell the body that you need those muscles, so they will be spared for the most part.
Agree

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm

New article about why CICO is wrong and terrible and bad:

1) Calories in is very difficult to measure - the 4, 4, 9 calories/gram for carbs, proteins and fat was measured/derived in the late 1800s and has never been updated.
2) Package labelling is off on average 18%
3) CICO does not take into account how food is digested and absorbed; interestingly, simple sugars can be uptaken at 30 cal/min while complex carbohydrates can only be absorbed 2 cal/min; the impact of this on insulin and the resultant metabolic pathways is vastly different in each case
4) The manner of food preparation can impact the amount of available calories; even something like cooking pasta and letting it cool can drastically change the amount of available (digestible) calories; same with cooking rice with coconut oil and letting it cool.
5) Genetics, microbiome and even small intestine length varies from person to person, so calorie uptake of the same foods is not equal across subjects.
6) There are other points, but the above was most interesting to me.

In the end, I think the advice at the end was to eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry, eat more whole foods, eat less processed foods and don't eat treats every day.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/d ... he-calorie

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am

Posting an update here. Fasting twice a week is what worked for me but I lost the habit. I'm at 90kg and about steady there. Will try to fast again but it can get difficult unless I'm isolating a little in my fasting days.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Less.