Soft drink consumption

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
vezkor

Re: Soft drink consumption

Post by vezkor »

I used to drink an incredibly unhealthy amount of pop aka soft drinks every day (upwards of 1 liter or more). This was back in highschool when I was 245lb 5'10" with very little muscle to speak of (age 16-17). After graduation (age 18) I gave up pop and most processed sugars/carbohydrates in general and started running 5 miles every other day. Quickly dropped to ~165lb, then have flucuated between 170 and 190 ever since (26 now) depending mainly on how active I'm being and how delicious the food within arm's reach is.

In the past 8 years I've gone multiple years without any soft drink at all, but I've also gone multiple months of having one almost every day... I certainly feel better physically when I don't drink it at all. I almost never purchase soft drinks, but there is still half a 24-pack of coke in my pantry from the wedding reception back in July!! I have one from time to time, and the wife really enjoys mountain dew so there seems to usually be a 2-liter in the fridge.

We don't drink any alcohol, though, so there's that! It's 90%+ coffee, tea and water for me.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I probably average 3 a week or so--diet only--non-diet tastes too sweet to me. Some weeks I won't have any, other times I might have a little more. I drink tons of unsweet iced tea.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I can't remember the last time I had soda. The worst I drink sugar-wise nowadays might be dark beer, 100% fruit juice, or tea w/ agave.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I don't drink soda. It burns my stomach. As a kid, we were only allowed to have soda on special occasions. We got to choose between water or milk, and since I had a sensitivity to milk, I had to drink water. When I was in my young 20s, my first husband could drink a 24 pack in 2-3 days and he had to stop when the caffeine was too much that he thought at times he was having a heart attack! I don't think he ever cut it out completely. Plus, the poison in diet soda is very, very bad for the brain.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I used to drink diet soda daily - and did for years. It tasted sweet and I used it as a way to not eat something that had calories when I was losing weight. But probably the last couple of months I have been slowly weaning myself off artificial sweeteners and have only been drinking it as part of mixed drinks when I go out. It's been a month or two since I've bought soda at all at a grocery store. Hope to completely kick all artificial sweeteners on Jan 1 so maybe I'll finally be one of the cool kids ;)

JeanPaul

Post by JeanPaul »

There are probably few more price-efficient sources of calories - I'm surprised you guys aren't all over it!

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

maybe it's because the body doesn't require "calories"

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

Yes, nearly every day, usually diet drinks such as generic cola or Irn Bru (this is mostly a Scottish thing, although Vexed or some of the well travelled ERErs will be familiar with it).

In general I'd say my diet is crap, because I can't control the quantities that I eat, sometimes I think I have a sodding tapeworm :lol:

Ayo

Post by Ayo »

When growing up my mother didn't allow soft drinks in the house.

Now it gives me stomach aches and an unsatisfied feeling. I drink it <2x/year.

I see similar trends with friends who do or don't have the habit of drinking it since they were little.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Sugary drinks of all kinds? Almost never.

Beer on the other hand, 12 oz. Almost every day.
Can triple that when I'm working during those hot summer days.

My DW likes to point to the empties that accumulate. I say every one of those is worth four hours of labor...