Hamstring tightness

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thrifty++

Hamstring tightness

Post by thrifty++ »

In the last couple of years I have developed quite a hamstring tightness. Periodically I get mildly sprained hamstrings from things which I should not, like fairly normal workout routines at the gym, things like back extensions, or even from swimming once. I am aware that my hamstrings are not very flexible and are tight.

I suspect that the cause of it might be that I have for several years done heavy weight workouts on my legs, like lunges and leg press and squats. For a couple of years I was ridiculously slack by hardly ever stretching before and after. I now regularly do so. Yet I still have the tightness. In fact often stretching seems to have caused a minor sprain. I find it frustrating as it affects the frequency and dilligence with which I can do work outs.

Has anyone experienced this before and found a way through it? How?

plantingourpennies

Re: Hamstring tightness

Post by plantingourpennies »

I had similar issues with my hamstrings, but have mostly overcome them in the past year or so. The key for me was making sure that my hamstrings, lower back and glutes were all stretched before a workout, not just my hamstrings. I use a variation on "child's pose" that my wife showed me-it seems to hit all three areas most effectively.

http://kimfischyoga.com/wp-content/uplo ... 5-0010.jpg

I vary the position of my legs-spread out or not and do the pose 3-4 times before a lift. Good luck!

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@plantingourpennies thanks I like the childs pose. Its quite a soothing pose actually. I can get a sore lower back sometimes too. I think the whole mid section region of lower back to hamstrings is all a bit mucked up from mistreatment. I really need to do lots of flexibility work to loosen it all back up again. I do childs pose each workout but only before and after once. I am surprised that has worked for you so well just alone. Its such a nice easy stretch. I am happy to try doing that more often.

pukingRainbows

Post by pukingRainbows »

You could also try rolling a tennis ball or lacrosse ball or dowel under the sole of your foot. You can press down hard enough that the sensation feels quite strong like a deep massage.
This can work to ease some tension in your low back and hamstrings as they are connected by the fascia of the muscles.
Good luck!