Choosing a dentist

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
George the original one

Choosing a dentist

Post by George the original one »

Seaside being a small town, selecting a dentist is a bit different than in the big city. We have 3 to choose from. Choice #1 is the old guy with no bad reviews, but he's of retirement age and we'd rather have someone that's going to be around as long we will. Choice #2 is a new guy with decent reviews, though not as many as #1. Choice #3 is a husband & wife team that specialize in cosmetic dentistry and have one bad review, so we ruled them out.

Other choices would be to go further afield, to the county seat in Astoria. However I've been warned off the dentists in Astoria apart from one old guy who is about to retire... sound familiar, LOL?

So Choice #2 has become our dentist after wife chipped a tooth. The wait was long because the other dentists are on (or have been on) vacation and so the local dentists cover each other's patients when vacations happen. Apart from the wait, she was in & out and everything is fine.

Scott 2

Re: Choosing a dentist

Post by Scott 2 »

I learned - don't pick the dentist with a salt water fish tank in the lobby and a dedicated loan department.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I picked my dentist out of the yellow pages. She was the only one in my area with a female name, and I was gambling that a woman would be more likely to have smaller hands. She's pretty good though I rarely need anything beyond cleanings.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Step 1, be sure to clean your mouth so you don't need to go to the dentist.
Step 2, try to get dental insurance that isn't a complete scam (i.e. get something that has a reasonable benefit maximum). Self-insuring may be an option, check what is covered by dental versus health, if the benefit maximum is too low.

In bigger cities, try out a new dentist every year (for cleanings) to see if you would like them for bigger jobs as well. Be sure they get along with your insurance.

Be sure to save receipts.. HSA should cover what insurance doesn't. I suspect I've saved enough health and dental receipts from the past few years to draw a year's worth of expenses from my HSA.

Ego

Post by Ego »

enigmaT120 wrote:I was gambling that a woman would be more likely to have smaller hands.
:lol: So? The hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSL4cmFW_GU

Spin_Echo

Post by Spin_Echo »

It may be worth checking with any nearby university dental schools. The one in my town has a lottery to determine who gets accepted as a patient. If I needed major dental work that was non-urgent, I would submit my application to any nearby schools and cross my fingers.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

I definitely prefer old. Reason? No student loans to pay off. No new fancy clinic. I also prefer small operations. Reason? They don't work on an assembly line basis. I also prefer immigrants/anyone who doesn't believe in drill baby drill. Ideally the clinic has exactly 1 chair ... definitely not more than 2.

My current dentist is one dentist and one assistant who also does front office. They have two chairs total. The tooth-survey or whatever it's called is done by the dentist simply looking through here and there. No detailed tooth-by-tooth notes. She just writes up what is or might be problematic. Conversely, I've also had dentists that went through with a fancy bore camera and recorded a video or every tooth for the dentist to watch after me waiting half an hour. Imagine the costs of that. Also, she only fixes things that need to be fixed. Overall great.

(In case any Chicagoans are interested, they're on the corner of Lawrence and Hermitage.)

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Ego wrote:
enigmaT120 wrote:I was gambling that a woman would be more likely to have smaller hands.
:lol: So? The hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSL4cmFW_GU
I'm not sure I get the video, but yeah my dentist has pretty small hands. I did not forget to include a comma. They get the job done without dislocating my jaw (I still have my wisdom teeth).

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Interesting perspectives vol. 232421.

I got my filling/teeth crushed eating (human grade) sunflower seeds last week :(.