Tips for fasting

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Peanut

Tips for fasting

Post by Peanut »

Ok, Chad's latest postings on fasting made me reconsider my anti-fasting position, as my dad died youngish of freak lung cancer. If one wants to try it, how should one start? With one day or two? Are there only health benefits to doing two days as opposed to one? Water is still necessary, right? Is there a way to eat before or after so as to minimize risk of weight loss?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Tips for fasting

Post by jacob »

1 lbs of body mass is worth 3500 kcal, so you WILL lose body mass. To minimize the amount of muscle, do nondestructive forms of exercise, that is, don't work out so as to break down muscle tissue; just do enough to remind the body that muscles are still required.

Water is absolutely necessary.

I would guess there are substantial benefits to doing longer times and that two days might not be enough. Technically, I do 22 hours of fasting each and every day.

In terms of eating, don't pig out. Neither before but especially not after---you'll probably throw up if you overload the system.

slimicy

Re: Tips for fasting

Post by slimicy »

I started using the "eating window" method frequently referred to as Intermittent Fasting (IF), where you narrow down the amount of time where you're "on" and "off" of eating. It's very easy to get into a 16 hour fast daily this way. If you google IF you can get a lot of hits.

Going more than a day or two can evolve naturally from this habit by skipping one window.

The whole "you don't want to lose muscle" thing is a myth. Your body has evolved not to lose muscle unless absolutely necessary, which I believe is around 7 days without food. Source: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... g-part-14/