Soy Phytoestrogens, or Why I Don't Eat "Staples"

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Soy Phytoestrogens, or Why I Don't Eat "Staples"

Post by jacob »

Financially speaking 100% self-sufficiency in any one area is almost never worthwhile. As a hobby, sure, why not. IMHO, generating your own food supply is certainly more useful [in a sense] than building your own toaster from scratch.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

I've never seen Okinawan/Hawaiian purple sweet potatoes here (UK) so I was looking up the nutritional content of the orange kind. It seems it's different, and in particular, the orange kind has huge amounts of vitamin A/beta-carotene which the purple doesn't, and less of the things that might protect against cancer etc which the purple ones have. There still seems to be debate on whether excess vitamin A from food sources is bad for us (excess synthetic vitamin A can be).

I used to be able to buy white-fleshed sweet potatoes--might check a few Asian stores to see if they still have them, but they didn't keep as well as the orange ones so they may have lost the demand battle.

This is interesting if you trust Wikipedia (but note the figures for wheat are not for flour but for the whole wheat grain, which few people eat--I don't think you'd get that much protein in whole wheat flour, and certainly not in white).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_pot ... od_staples

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

@Jacob- I like to envision myself homesteading in a Mad Max type world, with steampunk/Robinson Crusoe -like homebuilt technology. That seems unlikely to come to pass for a number of reasons. But its this fantasy that motivates my interest in homegrown food, homebuilding, DIY projects, solar thermal power, etc. I used to work part time with home builders before and during college, and sometimes volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. I did this because I thought if I knew enough about how to build a house from the ground up, I could fix anything that ever broke in my own home without hiring somebody. Since I never followed those pursuits beyond the novice level, very little of it has stuck with me. Nevertheless, I think investing some time into considering how you would sustain yourself in the absence of civilization is a good way to figure out how much or little you actually need from other people. Your posts about peak oil sometimes trigger these thoughts:-)

@heyhey- Hypervitaminosis A is a very real condition. Its usually associated with eating animal Liver. The classic story is about arctic explorers coming down with it after eating a polar bear liver.

wrt wheat flour; in researching this topic, I came across several lists relating protein/dollar. They were often inconsistent, likely because of different time/place/economic conditions for the people compiling the data, but this one says wheat flour was the least expensive protein AND calorie source they could find.

http://www.andhigherstill.com/2013/06/t ... -food.html

$1 of Wheat Flour = 163g of protein and 6000 Calories !

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

JasonR wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... v-i-n-hive

Mealworms and bangs.
2:30 shows how life is better with worms.
It worked for Fry, it can work for you.
What a great idea! I want to make a DIY version.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

What about meat quality and adrenaline?
Seems like there are many reasons not to eat stressed animals.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

ThisDinosaur wrote:@heyhey- Hypervitaminosis A is a very real condition. Its usually associated with eating animal Liver. The classic story is about arctic explorers coming down with it after eating a polar bear liver.
You're right. I wasn't clear. I meant I think there is still debate about whether you can get too much from beta-carotene i.e. plant food sources. Retinol from animal food sources is definitely dangerous in excess.

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/i ... g-you-man-

IPAs Are Giving You Man Boobs
Not many people know this, but those hops in your favorite IPA are actually wonderful medicine for insomnia and menopause, thanks to their high phytoestrogen content. These same phytoestrogens, however, might be less desirable for men, as indicated by the common condition known among brewers as Brewer’s Droop.

Yes, you read that right: Hops are giving men man boobs.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Oh, a little bit of man boobs is okay,so long as they blend in proportionally with the pectoral muscles. I, personally, find the droopy wrinkly chicken skin on a skeleton look more off-putting. Us old folk got to keep some flesh on the bone. YMMV.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Chicken and eggs are great protein sources that seem relatively inexpensive vs other animal products, so that's what I eat for most of my protein. But how do they compare with beans?

Black beans are about 600 Cal per pound, and I'm choosing them to compare due to their high protein content. I don't buy them dry (yet) but found some bulk prices at about 65c per pound for big tubs. If 1 lb. dry makes about 3 lb. cooked, that's about $0.36 for 1000 Cal. Of course canned beans would be much more, > $1 per 1000 Cal at my grocery store's prices.

I can get dark meat chicken for $1 per pound, about 800 Cal = $1.25 for 1000 Cal. Eggs are about 700 Cal per pound and prices have been varying lately but average about 75c per pound = $1.07.

So let's say we're trying to choose between 1 lb. per day of beans vs. chicken and eggs per person. That's roughly 80c per person per day or $292 per year. We're talking about potentially $10k per person needing to be saved for a 3% withdrawal rate, so it's not a trivial amount, especially if you have a lot of mouths to feed.

With that in mind I will certainly be stocking up on a few years' worth of bulk black beans, once I have a house or an apartment with more pantry space anyway.
In addition, I plan to:
- Grow fresh veggies with at least some protein content
- Grow hazelnut trees (15g protein per 100g serving)
- Raise chickens for fresh eggs
- Aquaponics system for fish & veggies, or try fishing if there's a nearby lake or pond
- Buy venison during deer hunting season if it's available locally
- Maybe catch the occasional squirrel or woodchuck
- Visit family weekly, where they are sure to serve generous portions of meat
- Buy poultry, dairy, peanut butter, etc. from the grocery store, but be able to get enough protein from only the sources above if needed - should be doable given the variety of sources above and the fact that we really don't need to eat tons of protein to be healthy

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

to be honest, brute doesn't quite get the obsession with protein. bodybuilders, sure. regular humans?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Hazelnuts are great. If only the squirrels and Stellar Jays didn't eat all of mine off the tree before they're even ripe....

How long do dry beans keep before they just won't cook down? Sometimes it seems like they stay hard no matter how long you cook them. Does pressure cooking fix that?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'm in the same boat as brute. With the way most people talk about protein, if they didn't have it you'd think they die or shrivel up.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

enigmaT120 wrote:Sometimes it seems like they stay hard no matter how long you cook them. Does pressure cooking fix that?
Yes PCs significantly reduce the cooking time, also, you may need to extend the soaking period. If stored correctly, beans can last for decades. The older the beans, the longer your cooking time.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

6% of calories need to come from protein if your goal is maintaining current muscle mass and staying healthy, if building muscle aim for slightly more, >9% should be sufficient. As you will have guessed, getting 9% from your diet can be easily achieved with beans, see vegan body builders. :shock:

Regarding Phytoestrogens;
https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/wiki/faq ... oid_soy.3F

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

vexed87 wrote:6% of calories need to come from protein if your goal is maintaining current muscle mass and staying healthy
(2000kcal * 6%) / 4 (kcal/g of protein) = 30g of protein per day for average humans? it's hard not to get that much if humans eat any animal products at all, or any legumes at all.

brute is more concerned about sufficient (healthy) fat consumption.