Fresh/Simple Post-Workout nutrition

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Slevin

Fresh/Simple Post-Workout nutrition

Post by Slevin »

Like many of us on this forum, I like to work out intensely, and afterwards I always work up a big appetite.

Now for the past few months I have been solving this calorie deficit with good old fashioned ice-cream. Just ice-cream + milk. Post workout shakes have been my go to for about a solid year now, and since I have started eating much more simply/fresh/frugally I have created a schism between my workout food and the rest of my food. The ice cream cost is not substantial (maybe $4 / week) but I would like to move to more meal-ish meals, preferably without meat.

Does anyone have any quick / simple meals that would fit the bill (high in protein + fat + calories)?

Kriegsspiel

Re: Fresh/Simple Post-Workout nutrition

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Dude, just drink some chocolate milk and/or whey after you workout, then eat whatever else you need to after that.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Two beers and a smoke?

Seriously though, I just have a banana. It reloads lost carbs and more importantly it has potassium so subsequent cramps are avoided. Then I just let dinner sort out the rest. I'm not trying to get big in the most efficient way or anything though.

For your very own WeightGain3000 recipe, put milk/water/yogurt, banana, peanut butter, *berries, a little bit of oatmeal, protein powder in a high speed blender.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Milk is probably the best possible post workout nutrition. Every mammal survives on nothing but milk during the time in its life when every single body tissue is growing at its highest lifetime rate. Which means it contains literally everything you need to grow new muscle. Also, its got plenty of potassium.

Nobody knows what causes cramps, but a lot of research debunking the idea that its a potassium issue was circulated after LeBron James had a cramp on the court while drinking Powerade.

If you're trying to lose weight, though, whole milk is a little high in calories. Whey isolate would be better, then.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Nobody knows the exact cause, but medical science has collected some strong correlations, such as dehydration and depletion of common electrolytes.---So I'll go with that. Works for me too.

Ego

Post by Ego »

ThisDinosaur wrote:Milk is probably the best possible post workout nutrition. Every mammal survives on nothing but milk during the time in its life when every single body tissue is growing at its highest lifetime rate. Which means it contains literally everything you need to grow new muscle. Also, its got plenty of potassium.
Ahem. True. Baby humans drink human milk. Baby cows drink cows milk. So after that baby cow does a hundred burpees it should drink cows milk. There is irrefutable evidence (lactose intolerance) that most humans should stay away from the stuff. There is less that irrefutable evidence that everyone should.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

ThisDinosaur wrote:If you're trying to lose weight, though, whole milk is a little high in calories. Whey isolate would be better, then.
Oh no... You have reminded me of the horrible taste of eating non-fat cottage cheese :cry:
Ego wrote:Ahem. True. Baby humans drink human milk. Baby cows drink cows milk. So after that baby cow does a hundred burpees it should drink cows milk. There is irrefutable evidence (lactose intolerance) that most humans should stay away from the stuff. There is less that irrefutable evidence that everyone should.
Luckily for me I am descended from a culture which is not lactose intolerant (or at least to any noticeable degree). I guess milk does seem like a very good solution to after-workout nutrition. Best if I can find the non sugar-added stuff.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

@ego
We share a common ancestor with cows around 160 million years ago. The components of eutherian mammal milk are largely identical between species, but with varying proportions of fat/protein/carbohydrates. Larger species generally having more fat.

Almost all mammals are lactose intolerant as adults, as they tend to stop producing the lactase enzyme around the same time they get their first set of teeth and can eat their parent's diet. BUT, most humans from Europe, west Africa, and the Arabian Peninsula have a Lactase Persistence mutation. That is irrefutable evidence that these populations have evolved to subsist on milk.

Ego

Post by Ego »

ThisDinosaur wrote: Almost all mammals are lactose intolerant as adults, as they tend to stop producing the lactase enzyme around the same time they get their first set of teeth and can eat their parent's diet. BUT, most humans from Europe, west Africa, and the Arabian Peninsula have a Lactase Persistence mutation. That is irrefutable evidence that these populations have evolved to subsist on milk.
No way Jose. The fact that humans (and mammals in general) become lactose intolerant as adults is pretty good evidence that nature doesn't want us drinking the stuff. The only thing evolved to subsist on cows milk are baby cows.

Lactase persistence in some populations is evidence that some have evolved to better tolerate certain forms of milk. Tolerating something is not the same as thrive on it.

But you can believe what you will. If you have kids, hopefully you will have them genetically tested before allowing them to drink it. Type 1 diabetes is not a nice disease.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12115/full

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Ego, that is a strong argument, but i can only counter that you can find compelling evidence against human consumption of literally any food you can think of. Which is something I personally find seriously frustrating. The only sense I can make of it is that evolution isn't perfect, and there is no 'end point.' Meaning, there will never be a time when all living humans are perfectly adapted to any food source. We literally "tolerate" everything we can eat that doesn't kill us. Most humans who don't have celiac disease can tolerate gluten. Does that mean its good for you? I have no idea. There are good arguments to either side. Lions tolerate occasionally getting maimed by Wildebeests. I don't think that means they weren't meant to eat them.

Incidently, the lactose in milk may be there mainly to cause GI distress in any animal eating it that isnt a baby mammal. Thats why there aren't really many milk parasites (adult organisms that live mostly on another animals milk) other than humans. Basically, white people were in the process of evolving into milk parasites until the Egyptians started selling us bread.

Ego

Post by Ego »

ThisDinosaur wrote:Ego, that is a strong argument, but i can only counter that you can find compelling evidence against human consumption of literally any food you can think of.
No argument. That is evidence.

Can I find compelling evidence against human consumption of 'literally and food'? No. I'm having trouble thinking of a literally any moderately ingested, complete vegetable, fruit or legume with a mechanism of action on humans that causes T1D, or any other disease.

Certainly there are some foods that cause problems for certain people. I think we'd agree that they should be avoided.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:No. I'm having trouble thinking of a literally any moderately ingested, complete vegetable, fruit or legume with a mechanism of action on humans that causes T1D, or any other disease.
None of those links address moderate intake of complete vegetables, fruits or legumes. We've strayed far enough. I'm done.