Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
Augustus

Re: Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Post by Augustus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:13 am
I would reconsider fasting if I were you, Augustus. It seems your body will tear itself apart.
Yeah I'll have to be careful for sure, I don't think I'll do a water fast, at least not while I'm working full time. But I need to plan out one of the fast mimicking diet style fasts in the near future, I'm moving soon so I want to get that out of the way first. I've restricted myself to 200 calories a day for a couple days before, without issue, as long as I don't exercise. The key for me seems to be no strenuous exercise during low calorie diet restriction, I did that when I was younger and messed up one of my legs pretty bad when I used to run every morning, that was in my pre whey every day era, wish I had figured that out sooner.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... d290365859
Some evidence from research involving humans indicates that TRF has benefits even when people don’t eat any less. In a study that is soon to be published, Peterson examined eight men with pre-diabetes, a condition in which people are close to being diabetic but not quite there. Researchers prepared all food in the study, and the participants ate it under supervision. The men tried two schedules: eating all their meals between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., and between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Compared with the 12-hour schedule, the six-hour window significantly lowered blood pressure and improved insulin sensitivity, the ability to process glucose.

“We were really excited about the results,” Peterson says. “It was a small study, but it was done extremely carefully.” In a similar study, also not yet published, she looked at 11 overweight people who followed the same two regimens. Although those in the six-hour window did not increase the overall number of calories they burned, they did increase the amount of fat they burned and reduced levels of a key hunger hormone called ghrelin; these metabolic changes might make it easier to lose weight and body fat.

“I think that within 10 years we will have some really clear guidelines for meal timing,” Peterson says. “But we are in the early stages of this research. There is a lot more work we need to do.”

In 2015, Panda looked at the eating patterns of 156 adults; more than half spread food consumption over 15 hours or longer, while only 10 percent consistently ate within a 12-hour window. He followed up with eight of these people, who were overweight and typically ate for 14 hours or more a day. When the subjects were limited to a 10-hour window for four months, with no other restrictions — they could eat whatever they wanted — they lost weight, slept better and had more energy.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

I've read about how successful that 14 hour fasting window is in several different studies. It would explain the success of the warrior diet. I saw an interview with Dr. Longo and he said he recommends eating breakfast and dinner with nothing but water in between. It's only a 12 hour fasting window but he said compliance is important and more patients were able to follow a breakfast/dinner regimen.

@Augustus -- Have you tried changing when you exercise? When I was having issues, my ortho suggested that I start exercising in the late afternoon or evening instead of in the morning to help prevent injuries.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am
I've read about how successful that 14 hour fasting window is in several different studies. It would explain the success of the warrior diet. I saw an interview with Dr. Longo and he said he recommends eating breakfast and dinner with nothing but water in between. It's only a 12 hour fasting window but he said compliance is important and more patients were able to follow a breakfast/dinner regimen.

@Augustus -- Have you tried changing when you exercise? When I was having issues, my ortho suggested that I start exercising in the late afternoon or evening instead of in the morning to help prevent injuries.
I've noticed the 8/16 format of restricted feeding has helped me sleep, and I feel better overall. I try to do my eating from 9am-5pm each day.

I'll have to start paying more attention to when I exercise to see if there's a difference, I almost always exercise in the afternoon, after carbing up a little in the morning. The only thing that's ever made a difference is protein as far as I can tell, with a protein shake within 2 hrs of exercise I've been injury free.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am

Dietary supplement shows promise for reversing cardiovascular aging

"But a new University of Colorado Boulder study published today indicates that when people consume a natural dietary supplement called nicotinomide riboside (NR) daily, it mimics caloric restriction, aka "CR," kick-starting the same key chemical pathways responsible for its health benefits.

Supplementation also tends to improve blood pressure and arterial health, particularly in those with mild hypertension, the study found.

"This was the first ever study to give this novel compound to humans over a period of time," said senior author Doug Seals, a professor and researcher in the Department of Integrative Physiology. "We found that it is well tolerated and appears to activate some of the same key biological pathways that calorie restriction does."

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 pm

jennypenny wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am
We found that it is well tolerated and appears to activate some of the same key biological pathways that calorie restriction does."
and there were no side effects and humans lived happily ever after.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Augustus wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm
I try to do my eating from 9am-5pm each day.
interesting here would be what Augustus' natural circadian rhythm is. without alarm clock or societal factors, what time does Augustus wake up naturally and go to bed at night?

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm

BRUTE wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:37 pm
Augustus wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm
I try to do my eating from 9am-5pm each day.
interesting here would be what Augustus' natural circadian rhythm is. without alarm clock or societal factors, what time does Augustus wake up naturally and go to bed at night?
Naturally? :lol: I haven't had a natural sleep cycle since pre kid era 3 years ago, maybe even pre wife era 7 years ago.

When I was single, I'd go to bed around 1030 and wakeup around 8am. I'm an outlier, I comfortably sleep 10 hrs a day, my cousins are the same way. I've got weird genes apparently. Need lots of protein and 10 hrs of sleep to feel great.

Anyways, I used to take melatonin most nights. Now I stop coffee intake at 2pm and stop food intake at 5 and sleep like a baby unasisted around 10pm. Cutting out lcd screens at 830 is helpful also. And exercise.

Widee67

Post by Widee67 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:19 am

Have anyone tried intermittent fasting? I know this is not well known for some other countries but trying out my best of luck to know more about it.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:13 am

Intermittent fasting for 24 hours twice a week has been very helpful for me to lose fat.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 am

@Widee67 -- Did you read through this thread from the beginning?

There have been several discussions of IF in other threads on the forum as well ...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8359
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7925
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7471
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3710

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 am

Augustus wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm
When I was single, I'd go to bed around 1030 and wakeup around 8am.
brute thinks the circadian rhythm probably plays into the optimal feeding/fasting rhythm. it makes sense to wake up and then eat within 1h. brute naturally wakes up much later, so the "optimal fasting cycle" promoted by Panda et al would mean force feeding brute would've naturally woken up, which would never even be possible without the unnatural disruption of an alarm clock.

brute would not be surprised if larks thrived on a breakfast heavy cycle, and larks on a dinner heavy cycle.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:45 pm

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 am
Augustus wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm
When I was single, I'd go to bed around 1030 and wakeup around 8am.
brute thinks the circadian rhythm probably plays into the optimal feeding/fasting rhythm. it makes sense to wake up and then eat within 1h. brute naturally wakes up much later, so the "optimal fasting cycle" promoted by Panda et al would mean force feeding brute would've naturally woken up, which would never even be possible without the unnatural disruption of an alarm clock.

brute would not be surprised if larks thrived on a breakfast heavy cycle, and larks on a dinner heavy cycle.
Agreed, I haven't focused much on meal size, just on the 8 hr window, I usually have one large meal a day in the early afternoon, the rest is snacking. I think you could time it so that you cut off food 5 hrs before sleep and you'd get the same benefit. I didn't expect the sleep side effects, but I've never felt as tired before unless it was due to a lot of sun or exercise, so it's a pleasant surprise.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:12 pm

I vaguely recall a study where dieters who ate most of their food in the morning lost more fat, and those who ate most of it in the evening retained more muscle.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:16 am

My wife and I went to the theatre this past weekend and if nothing else it was a confrontation with the American ass and I have to tell you that on average, it’s really fucking big. Watching people squeezing by each other and trying to settle into their seats was of greater entertainment value than the play itself. I’m talking both male and female here. I couldn’t get over the average width. It was just a sea of sprawling asses. You could have stitched a circus tent together with the material designated just to cover people’s asses. It was both fascinating and horrific, like watching people jumping out of burning buildings. It’s like driving through Beverly Hills looking at houses, you think you’ve the spotted the biggest one and then all of a sudden a bigger one comes around the corner. I’ve never had weight issues but I just couldn’t see how people could be comfortable with asses that big. Some of these people could be sitting on the toilet and end up missing the bowl. I admit I’d give up ten years of my life for 20 minutes with Serena Williams but this was a tale of a whole other city I don’t want to be found in.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 am

Jason wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:16 am
I just couldn’t see how people could be comfortable with asses that big.
humans can get used to pretty much everything. especially if they see it all around them. it's "normal".

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 am

You are right. It did cross my mind that it was essentially a meeting of the fat ass acceptance society, although the venue of choice was not ideal as it was built when the average American physiogny was much different.That being said, social acceptance wouldn’t remove personal discomfort. I mean the average American chair must be three times the size it was a hundred years ago.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am

Weights have steadily increased upwards over the past many decades. The average American women today now weighs as much (160lbs) as the average American man did 50 years ago. The average American man weighs correspondingly more (now around 195lbs). Both are an inch taller now but that does not make up for the weight which increases about 7-8lbs/decade.

As noted above, people don't actually believe they're fat because the Overton window of body image is shifting. The "perceived ideal weight" has increased along with people's actual weight. The average person thinks they should weigh 10-15 pounds less no matter how heavy they're getting.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/158921/amer ... pward.aspx

Almost 70% of Americans are now overweight or obese. Since overweight starts at BMI=25, then number of Americans who are normal weight or less (BMI<22) is only about 10% (and most of these would be clustering near to 20+). (There's another 20% in the 22-25 range.) As a result, normal weight people now look [too] skinny relative to the average person.

Interestingly there's a direct correlation between average/national BMI and restaurant-spending (GDP) :o People's BMI dip slightly during recessions and then resume their upward trend coming out of it, just like the economy.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:32 pm

jacob wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am
the Overton window
If you looked through a window into this playhouse, you'd say most of the people were over a ton.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:17 pm

zing