Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Jason

Re: Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:03 am
Anyways, I am curious about what sort of theatrical event you attended, since I recently noted that the relatively affluent crowd at the symphony was noticeably more slender than the crowd I might find shopping at the working class inner ring suburban Walmart near my current residence. Also, I am wondering about the quality of your local water supply given a high prevalence of men with fat butts in the population.
We attended a production of the play "Love Letters" in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. It's a fufu artistic community on the PA/NJ border about an hour away from where we live. It starred Meredith Birney and Michael Gross, the parents from the 80's TV show "Family Ties." Meredith looked good although she is currently a lesbian. We had a nice time. I used to work for a classical music publisher and would always pass on the orchestral tickets but jump on the opera tickets for the very reason you describe. I prefer zaftig women, especially those dying of tuberculosis. Oh, yeah.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Jason wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm
Meredith looked good although she is currently a lesbian.
Jason wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm
I prefer zaftig women, especially those dying of tuberculosis. Oh, yeah.
the quotable Jason :D

Jason

Post by Jason »

RE: Meredith

I'm sure 7W5 can (and most likely will) break it down statistically, geographically, socially, anecdotally, historically, personally, existentially, (perma) culturally, sexually, physiologically, psychologically, anthropologically, scientifically, geo-politically, intellectually, and maybe (fingers crossed) lucidly, the switching and/or addition of teams amongst middle aged people is often surprising and in this particular instance, personally disappointing.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Eh, one of these days I will learn how to make really good graphs like Fish does, and then be done with the word-slaw blizzard completely.

Anyways, I feel sorry for Silent Generation and Boomer age females. They got a cruddy deal their whole lives due to demographics and changing social mores. So, can't blame them or be surprised if they want to change teams at this juncture. In my experience, older men don't tend towards switching or adding teams. It's more like they go from player to co-ed coach. Though, some also maybe hold a bit of preference for a guy who looks like Taylor Swift over a female who looks like Aunt Bee, which only comes out when they attain the same age as Aunt Bee. I am about ready to retire from the field completely one of these days very soon and focus my energies on amateur field botany instead, so I don't even care.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Pretty sure Silent and Boomer females rated themselves (in 1970) as happier than the current crop...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Kriegsspiel:

Quite possibly true, but you have to remember that "happy" was a larger part of the job description in 1970. Kind of like how every commercial for feminine products these-a-days makes use of the adjective "strong" or "active" or "successful."It kind of boggles my mind to realize that my DD27 and the majority of her friends would already be married suburban wife/mothers if it was still 1970, instead of mish-mash of young businesswomen, slacker art students, and entry-level academics. To the best of my knowledge, she only has one friend in her fairly large social circle who already has a child, and just a few are married.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm
a female who looks like Aunt Bee
Oh, just once, to hear her scream my name louder than Andy's.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A new video with Drs. Valter Longo and Rhonda Patrick ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGFWRXEzz8

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I should have asked ... has anyone read Longo's book? I'm particularly interested in the opinion of someone who is a proponent of a keto/paleo/low carb diet. I read it because I'm still on a quest to find a vegan-ish diet that provides enough nutrients for me.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I read it. It was sufficiently convincing to me to reduce my otherwise large rice/pasta intake to somewhere between zero or just a small component (1/2 cup) of my meals. All replaced with more vegetables. Dairy is now a rarity. He also makes the argument for more fish---I never really liked fish. Trigger-alert: Red/white meat and dairy don't get any kind comments. Beyond that, I mostly paid attention to what I already knew/ate: Also notes the benefits of time restricted eating, now also known as intermittent fasting.

So tl;dr: Vegan+fish on an IF (18 hour) schedule + the occasional/optional annual fast (5 days or so).

Oh yeah, and eating lentil soup is vindicated. One of the few suggested recipes in the book is close to my old version of lentil soup. His tastes better. Add peas and a potato. Note that despite all the bad things he says about cheese, some recipes contain a little bit of cheese (like a spoonful of parmesan).

I've lost ~5lbs over the past few weeks. I suspect mostly water weight because there's less glycogen to bind to now.

(Much of the Longevity book is used to promote his system. It's expensive and complicated (you need to supply the phone number of your doctor for consulting, lots of CYA). The system is mainly intended for those who think water fasting is hard. Conversely, proponents of waster fasting would think that the proposed 500kcal longevity diet is harder. Anyway, they're both designed to elicit the same effects.)

I'd suggest combining it with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1628600012/ ...

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

How is it possible to eat at least 2k kcal without pasta/rice on vegan diet in short eating window?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Bagels.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Stahlman - What do you mean short window? You have 6 hours to do it.

Example1: At 4pm you eat the equivalent of breakfast. At 7pm you eat the equivalent of lunch and dinner.
Example2: At 5pm you eat the equivalent of lunch. At 7pm you eat the equivalent of dinner. At 9pm you eat the equivalent of breakfast.
Example3: At 6pm you eat the equivalent of three dinners.

Exact times don't matter. Only the size of the window.

DW (who cooks by recipe) likes to inform me (and everyone else) that she usually cooks dinner for 4 people, where I eat for 3 of them (I mostly follow example 3). It's not hard to eat a normal day's worth of food in one sitting if the stomach has been empty for nearly 24 hours. It IS hard to eat enough to bulk up or fatten up though. I think that's 90% of the point for those who do IF.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@jacob--Do you have coffee or tea in the morning (I assume black) or do you stick to water?

@anyone--I'm still a little confused about his recommendation to choose foods that our ancestors would have eaten. I'm of Irish descent and the Irish aren't exactly known for their longevity, so why would I want to choose traditional Irish foods (albeit ones that fit into the diet)? My own parents died young (58 & 63) which makes me think that my goal should be to reduce the influence of my ancestry as much as possible.

It's interesting that Longo mentioned the effects on melanoma in particular. I'm more inclined to try it now.

I picked up the other book jacob recommended. I'll read it after the game this afternoon.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I had a cup of black tea Sunday. Half a cup yesterday, and the last half today. Before that it's been a few weeks since I had my last cup of tea or coffee. Otherwise, I drink water. If I drink any coffee/tea, it's ALWAYS black. Adding sugar would defy the purpose. I don't like creamer.

Fung talks about using bulletproof coffee. In the Warrior Diet Hofmekler suggests adding cream to carry you through.

I really like coffee (or maybe rather caffeine). After drinking coffee daily for many years, I started playing around with the "schedule" and found that I like sleeping well more than I like coffee. I've therefore dialed my caffeine intake down so it's more of an occasional treat than a habit or a dependency.

It's certainly easier to go without food using caffeine because it stabilizes blood sugar levels. Fung seems to have no problem with this effect.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

+1 JP.

The argument to 'eat foods that your ancestors have eaten' doesn't make much sense. First, how long back do you go? 100 years? 100k years? The vast majority of humans throughout history ate poorly and were malnutritioned. They couldn't really choose what they ate but they ate what was available/affordable (very little choice). It's like 'you should have a varied diet' - an advice that might help an 'average' person (read: someone on SAD) but nowadays one can do much much better (consciously choosing the healthiest foods on the planet that none of one's ancestors ever had access to).

Also, why would anyone ruin an otherwise healthy diet by adding junk food? Fish is in many respects even worse than chicken, and that's not easy.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

@Augustus:

It's the most polluted food on the planet (oceans = humanity’s sewer).

High in cholesterol and saturated fat.

Also, the most acid-producing (kidney stones, gout).

Very low in antioxidants and generally low in vitamins.

The only real benefit from eating fish is omega-3 which can be easily sourced from safer foods.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Oh, I almost forgot about the fruit.

As per Longo, I've largely cut out fruit as well even if it goes against all the standard advice.