Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
BRUTE

Re: Fasting Can Regenerate Your Immune System

Post by BRUTE » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24 pm

for clarification, brute puts cream and coconut/MCT oil in his coffee. the fat in coffee itself is probably way too small an amount to make any difference.

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

Oh, ok. I looked it up and a cup of black coffee contains 0,05 g fat.

Not impressive, but your reply made me think further and since human beings (and all animals) basically only have been drinking water for hundreds of millions of years, it is no wonder than any other substance might promote or inhibit some kind of metabolic reaction somewhere in the body even if it is ingested in tiny amounts. And besides caffeine, coffee contains hundreds of other secondary metabolites so of course the effect on the fasting body must be different from drinking pure H2O. Pretty exciting stuff.

UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:33 pm

@BRUTE I'm curious about how you make WD work along with a low-carb diet. From what I understand the WD is mostly about having one big meal a day, and fasting through the interim? I guess I'm having a hard time imagining how I would regularly eat enough calories in one sitting to make that work.

For example yesterday for dinner I had half a roast chicken, a big salad topped with bacon and balsamic dressing, and a baked yam. That's a huge meal and I was stuffed afterwards, but it only totals ~1200 calories and my BMR alone is over 2k.

Does the fat in your coffee make up a significant portion of your daily total, or how are you getting the caloric density of your evening meal up to the point this works? Should I be eating a jar of almond butter with a spoon for desert or something?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:01 am

@UrbanHermit:

fasting and keto go super well together. fasting is basically putting the body in ketosis (=fat burning mode). with a carby IF/WD, the body leaves ketosis once a day and then gets back in over night. with a keto diet, it just stays there.

eating enough isn't really a problem. fat is very energy dense.

the fat in the coffee probably adds up to 200-500kcal per day, depending. sometimes brute just adds cream, sometimes he adds a tsp of MCT oil.

for reference, the "huge meal" UrbanHermit has listed isn't actually a lot of energy. chicken is very lean, and salads are worthless in terms of energy, especially with balsamic dressing. so it's basically 1/2 chicken (very lean), some bacon (1 strip? 2?) and a yam.

it's very easy to get lots of energy with fat. cream can be added to almost anything, as can oil. instead of lean chicken, UrbanHermit could eat fattier meats like pork or ribeye steak. cooking with lots of butter and lard/tallow. using lots of olive oil in the salad. personally, brute doesn't like salads much. lots of effort, nothing in there.

brute likes to eat whipped cream with some cocoa powder or dark chocolate (melted) for dessert. cream only has 1/3 fat by weight (rest mostly water), but tastes great, and is quick and easy to make.

the easiest way though is to eat fatty cuts of meat and drench any sides like vegetables in buttery/creamy sauce.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:39 pm

TedX talk with Longo about the benefits of the Fasting Mimicking Diet