Personal Trainer

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thrifty++

Personal Trainer

Post by thrifty++ »

Im having a dilemma around whether to engage a personal trainer. I have been lifting weights for a very long time and thoroughly enjoy doing so. However since entering my 30s I have started to acquire a number of injuries. I am 33 now. However I only lifted the intensity of my focus and works outs since when I turned 29. So I don't know whether these injuries are age related or intensity related or both and hopefully they are mainly form related which is something I have more control over.

This started at age 30 when I had a nasty neck sprain which went away in a month or so with less activity and physio. Then I have had sore lower backs for short periods of time which seemed like back sprains. Then the most serious thing which interestingly was hardly any pain at the time I incurred it was distal clavicle osteolysis to my shoulder which ultimately I had to have surgery for. Also I badly sprained my ankle playing touch rugby. Then also most recently I had a bad upper back sprain which was bizarre. I have seen doctors about each and every one of these things and mainly the report was that the were sprains and just to get physio and relax and it will go away which it has with each. Another thing is that I know my leg muscles are very tight and not very flexible as I stupidly ignored stretching for some time. So for the last 6 months I have really focussed on stretching which has really helped - this might have been part of the lower back strains occurring I have heard - from tight hamstrings.

So as a result of the above I am thinking of getting a personal trainer to help with me stretching ideas, workout ideas and perfecting form in every possible way to minimise injury risk and maximise body health. Problem is this is not cheap. Will probably cost at least $600 per month, for a while anyways. Alternatively I thought about researching workout health with books from the library and also try videotape my form (which is not really all that easy or perfect I would think). But once I started that I injured my upper back and had that weird painful sprain for a few days so that put me off bothering.

So any ERE style thoughts on this dilemma? Personal trainer or not or other ideas?

zarathustra

Re: Personal Trainer

Post by zarathustra »

What kind of lifting do you do?

I'm no expert, but I think you could do just as well for a lot less money.

I have only been lifting for two years (focusing on powerlifting for the last year) and though I started out learning through a good crossfit class, I stopped that eventually to just focus on powerlifting for strength and form, and did a lot of self-education online (the amount of resources on this is staggering) and believe it or not, i get compliments on my form all of the time, which I attribute to the research and thought I put in as well as really focusing on good form and the main full body lifts instead of trying to move up in weight super fast.

Additionally, there are so many forums and places you could post video of yourself to get free input/advice or cheaper input. Even a reputable online trainer will be less expensive than that.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Ah ok good idea on a cross fit class. Maybe I should try that.
The lifting I do is pretty traditional weightlifting stuff. eg bench press, dumbbell chest workouts, bar and dumbbell bicep and triceps workouts, dumbbell and machine shoulder workouts, leg press, squats, barbell lunges, calf raises, seated row, back workouts with barbell and dumbbell and ab workouts.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Might want to try this book called Core Performance:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004 ... _i=desktop

You would want to pay attention to the Movement Prep and Prehab sections. You can get a used one for $4.

This guy founded Core Performance (now called Exos), which trains half the draft choices for the NFL combine and a lot of other professional athletes. They really focus on injury prevention in their training.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Thanks Chad. I will see if I can get it from the library - I seem to be able to get any book I want when I order. Love it.
Have you used the book yourself?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I haven't met very many personal trainers that would be qualified to help you.

It sounds like you need to learn to move better. Yoga a couple times a week could sort you out in short order. Look for a teacher with a couple of decades of experience. 600 bucks would buy a lot of classes. It's not uncommon to find a physical therapist or occupational therapist or massage therapist teaching classes on the side, because they like it. A very cheap way to access that expertise.

Chad

Post by Chad »

thrifty++ wrote:Thanks Chad. I will see if I can get it from the library - I seem to be able to get any book I want when I order. Love it.
Have you used the book yourself?
I have used it for myself and we used it for developing workout program for college football players when I coached.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Scott 2 wrote:I haven't met very many personal trainers that would be qualified to help you.

It sounds like you need to learn to move better. Yoga a couple times a week could sort you out in short order. Look for a teacher with a couple of decades of experience. 600 bucks would buy a lot of classes. It's not uncommon to find a physical therapist or occupational therapist or massage therapist teaching classes on the side, because they like it. A very cheap way to access that expertise.
I don't quite understand your post. Why would PTs not be qualified to help me? Why would yoga help with my weights workouts? Why would I use a therapist for a yoga class rather than a therapist as a personal trainer?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The type of issues you are talking about, a personal trainer is supposed to refer out to a medical professional. Their scope of practice is programming, motivation, and basic form. A little common sense goes pretty far in these areas, so it seems unlikely you are doing then poorly. Maybe you're throwing the weights around like a crazy person, but I doubt it.

More likely, you have movement patterns or mobility issues that are leading to the injuries. Changing these requires focused work, ideally with the help of someone that understands how to read a body and what healthy range of motion is.

Some top tier personal trainers might have this expertise, but it's going to be rare. The topic is tangential to what 90% of the market wants. It's unusual to see a movement professional take on the field, because it pays poorly and carries a ton of hand holding. Most clients are buying a gym buddy.

Many styles of yoga are built around moving better. Iyengar is probably the most extreme in this area. Movement professionals get drawn in to teaching it. My guess is because changing a body takes hours of focused work a week, over months. It's rare to get duration of access to a body in their profession, especially before the person is injured. With a class of yoga students, they get the access.

I did a year as a trainer in college. Been lifting for about twenty years. Never got all that strong, but don't have much in the way of injuries. Yoga over the last couple years had made most of the aches and pains go away. One of my teachers was an occupational therapist, another is a massage therapist. I run into other movement professionals in the studio from time to time.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Forgot about these yesterday.

More resources for mobility and recovery:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

A book by the same guy:

http://smile.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple ... y+starrett

Though, this one you should definitely get through your library, as it's expensive.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@scott2 thanks I can see what you are saying now. Although I do think some trainers do have quite a few credentials around movement. I have been researching qualifications and experience online and there are a few. But they are not cheap. About $120 an hour. But yes I agree many trainers are simply there for motivation. I would be hugely unsatisfied paying $100 an hour for motivation I don't need.
But I do think you are on to something. I think I might have issues with my body alignment generally. I am quite inflexible. I think I might have tightened my body up through insufficient stretching over the years. So it probably is a good idea for me to get into yoga and make myself more supple to reduce injury risks.
@chad thanks very much for the books. I will add these to my reading list.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

My preference would be to change the problem rather than to find a solution.

To avoid form problems, I pick sports or moves where the form is robust to injury by which I mean that it's okay that the form not be exactly right to avoid injury. The sacrifice here is that I can't go for maximum repetition because that would lead to overuse (e.g. running) nor maximum strength on 1 reps (e.g. Olympic or power lifts).

Age does change one's ability to recover from injuries, so I've also started scaling back on sports where a one-time mistake could permanently wreck me for years or forever, e.g. hockey.

In summary, I'm trying to be strategic about this. Then again, I've never really felt I was married to a given sport. I'm more of a serial monogamist when it comes to these things.

WRT coaching, I've found it most helpful when it comes to complex movements, e.g. form and technique. I would note though, that technique is just a context-free learning stage one goes through before one "gets it". The ultimate point is not to follow technique. It is to understand how the motion should feel on one's body to achieve the optimal result. This education takes years or decades. It's no easier than learning something intellectually. In that regard, I think it's important to have a teacher that's on the same page as oneself. E.g. one that has either dealt with or understand your issue. E.g. if you're tall, it's best to have a tall teacher so as to better learn tall-person issues, etc. Someone who is not naturally athletic should not have a teacher who is naturally so. And so on.

In terms of ideas (google and forums) and schedules (books), I think that's something anyone can do by themselves once they understand the point of scheduling/periodization/base training/etc. or what a given exercise aims to do. Following a program without understanding what it's supposed to achieve and how it does that is inviting over- or undertraining.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

How do you warm up? I never did it before lifting when I was younger, but now that I'm getting older, I spend a lot longer warming up. I start with foam rolling, then I get on a C2 rower for about 5 minutes, then start pyramiding up the weights to whatever my working sets are. Haven't had any issues once I started.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/warming-up/

This article is a good summary.