Advice for triathlon

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
bradley

Advice for triathlon

Post by bradley »

I've decided that I want to train to complete some form of a triathlon (most likely a mini sprint first). I already ride a bike to work every now and then, I want to run more, and I used to swim, so I figured, why not do some focused training that also includes all three?

My goal, since I consider myself to currently be very inactive, is to use a training plan that readies me for a mini sprint: 400 yard swim + 8 mi bike + 1.5 mi run. I found plans that can train me for this in 10 weeks ("aggressive") or 20 weeks ("conservative").

Does anyone have advice based on their own experiences? I'm wondering if the plans are too easy for me, and if I should try training for a sprint, but I don't want to exert myself to much and end up with injuries.

CelticTiger

Re: Advice for triathlon

Post by CelticTiger »

What are your current recent PR's? what is your current training strategy? do you have anything in mind. Most people should be able to do a mini-sprint without training

bradley

Post by bradley »

The last time I swam recreationally, I did 100 yards easily, but 150 got me pretty breathless. Not sure on the time. I've run a mile before, and the most I've biked nonstop is 3 miles. I think my swimming is lacking the most, but I guess one of the best things to do would be to do a practice run.

I just looked up some basic triathlon training plans, and the 20-week plan starts off like this for month 1:

The event I'm thinking of is a timed indoor mini sprint: 10 min. swim / 30 min. spin bike / 20. min treadmill run. Not at all actual outdoor conditions, but probably a good start. Also not sure if I should try and find a timed event or a distance-based event.
Last edited by bradley on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

Personally,I would use the low intensity program (or none) and do a "survival event".

Just train enough in your weakest event to be sure to be able to finish. (it would be embarassing to be pulled . gasping and sputtering, from the water).

This will leave you with a future of improved times should you take a liking to it.

I personally, would stay away from ultras, which, like marathons, result in long term cumulative injury.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In January I started training for a half since I've done all three events at that respective distance individually before. However, after a few months I found that I simply didn't enjoy those daily 1-2 hour endurance workouts. Keyword for me was boring. Maybe I should have joined a club or found some workout partners instead of doing it on my own. Other strong indicators: I hate swimming (been there done way too much of that as a kid); I only tolerate running (I think it's a required human skill to be able to run somewhat so I do it); but I kinda like cycling. So in retrospect, I think I was more attracted to the ironman because of the standard it set (kinda like how everybody has to run a marathon) rather than any inherent love of the sport.

PS: Another issue is that while you can race on your mountain bike, swim in your trunks, ... this is an equipment intense sport if you get into it. Also entry fees for the long events are ridiculous. AFAIR, the Louisville Ironman race fee is $500+. Even the short ones around here are around $100.

Ego

Post by Ego »

In my first few races I struggled with the beginning of the swim where people are pummeling one another, swimming up each others backs and getting goggles knocked off. It is good to do a few open water swims to practice sighting direction and to deal with plunging into cold water. I like to sight the lines using big trees or some other landmarks before the race. It is often hard to make out the buoys when in the water. Also pay attention to the sun. It's a bitch to try to sight buoys or landmarks while looking directly into the sun. It is not unusual for a group to follow a fast pool swimmer in the wrong direction because he is used to lane lines. Practice transitions. I am always disoriented getting out of the water and it is easy to forget something important. It is hard to clean feet and put on socks with frozen fingers but it can be harder to wear cycling shoes with sandy sockless feet, so practice. The first mile of the run can be hard after getting off the bike so do a couple of quick, short training transitions so you will know that what you are feeling in the race is not unusual. And when that old guy with bouncing moobs passes you on the bike or run, don't let it get you down. That's the perfect time to remind yourself you are doing it for fun.

bradley

Post by bradley »

tommytebco wrote:Just train enough in your weakest event to be sure to be able to finish. (it would be embarassing to be pulled . gasping and sputtering, from the water).
You're absolutely right :lol: I'm going to do the timed event first just to see what I can accomplish.
jacob wrote:I think I was more attracted to the ironman because of the standard it set (kinda like how everybody has to run a marathon) rather than any inherent love of the sport.
While I do enjoy swimming and cycling, this is kind of my main motivation as well. I kind of just want to do it to know that I can. I (hopefully) don't plan on jumping on the brand-name equipment when I have reasonable alternatives. Hopefully sticking to local events will save on the entry fee, too.
Ego wrote:It is good to do a few open water swims to practice sighting direction and to deal with plunging into cold water. Practice transitions.
Thanks for the tips! I haven't swum in open fresh water in a while, so that's definitely something I should practice before any big event. Luckily I'm not going toward this with a competitive spirit in mind, but I do want to do as well as I can. Practicing the transitions will definitely make me feel more confident. Like anything else, preparation helps.

C40

Post by C40 »

My advice on triathlons: don't do it.

Well, don't do a full length Ironman. The training for that is very long and monotonous and the fitness benefit is not worth all the time it takes. Within endurance events, You'd benefit more from doing something that also includes/forces intervals of high power output. A sprint triathlon is so much shorter comparatively that the work vs benefit problems of an ironman don't really apply yet, so go for it.