Medical Testing Timing

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
brookline

Medical Testing Timing

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I am seeking advice about the timing of a medical test. Here is some background. I have been seeing a nutritionist who takes an integrative medicine approach. Her track record at diagnoses has been very good to date and so I wish to take her advice. She believes that my food allergies/ sensitivities are greatly aggravated by candida albicans (bad yeast) living in my digestive tract. There is much to support her theory including food sensitivities and symptoms that persist despite my having been on a very strict diet since June 2013. (I am much better thanks to a Paleo Autoimmune/low FODMAP/no nightshades diet but definitely not cured.)

She prescribed a Microbial Organic Acids Test. My insurer states they will pay for the test. However, the laboratory that performs the test (they seem to be the only one I could identify that runs this test) claims the insurer will offer to pay and then refuse. They are insisting on my paying $200 up front, out of pocket for the test. They will not assist with any part of filing a claim with my insurer. I am low on cash right now and will be for the next few months to come.

Candida symptoms fit a number of ailments. However, I have a bit of fungus growing on my skin elsewhere and this is supposed to be an indicator of internal yeast problems. So here is my question. If it is likely that I have a yeast infection/overgrowth, would it be better to take the test before undertaking a cure or after to see if the cure was effective? I would hate to put myself through another 90 days of strict dieting if my yeast levels are fine. However, it is possible my insurer may be willing to pay for one test but balk at a second. So it might make more sense to get tested at the end of the process and see if I was successful in ridding myself of yeast. Do any of you have recommendations? Thanks!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Medical Testing Timing

Post by jacob »

On the second paragraph, it's my understanding that you can get a letter of coverage from the insurer stating what they will cover BEFORE anything is done. Then you take that letter to the provider. It's a bit disturbing that they're unwilling to do any of the filling work.

brookline

Re: Medical Testing Timing

Post by brookline »

Hi Jacob,
Thanks very much. To your comment, It is really dismaying how greed infects the entire US healthcare system. Most everyone wants to charge the maximum to provide the minimum in service.