Burpee competition

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
guitarplayer

Re: Burpee competition

Post by guitarplayer »

Bankai wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 pm
27 but I've never done this exercise before so my form was likely poor. Are you guys doing this with or without pushup?

Also, fuck this exercise, my heart and lungs are still crazy 3 minutes later.
I think without the push-up - and I wonder why?

As long as people on the forum might not like debt, HIIT gets one's body into an oxygen debt territory. That is why the heart and lungs go hard for a while after the exercise is done.

Also, one's body is still in the 'workout' mode while one is already writing a post on ERE forum :] And at least for me, I can concentrate better after it. I guess some permaculture principles are at play?

With the pushup and without trying particularly hard, today I did 12 in 42 s = 17.14/min.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's the standard burpee... not the crossfit one. See post #1 for the rules.

Cam

Post by Cam »

I did 21. Damn you folks are in good shape. I will keep on burpeeing my way to the top though so watch out.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

31 - first set
26 - second set 5 minutes later

@theanimal- on the horizon- gonna reel him in!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:06 pm
31 - first set
That is too much. Sir, I declare. Too much! I don't think I can live with being #4. I'll get back to you on that.

Meanwhile, here's a more comprehensive round of "fun" if you're so inclined?
viewtopic.php?p=104784#p104784

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

jacob wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 pm
I'll get back to you on that.
Please do!

The more comprehensive workout looks fun/hard. The older links have been removed from youtube due to copyright claims.

Here is an updated video of the exercises in your list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVo_Jyyw00Q

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

27. I second C40's question though:
C40 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:03 pm
How high are you guys jumping?
The OCD part of me wants to standardize this. I like the idea of what iDave mentioned, where you have to touch a marker 6 inches above your standing reach for it to count. Not very practical though.

What if we stipulate you need to jump as high as you can each time? I think that might bring down some of the high scorers, but who knows, maybe mountainFrugal is just that much of a beast

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

In the video I linked he calls them Suicide Jumps at 1:30 : https://youtu.be/HVo_Jyyw00Q?t=90

I followed this form and height (3-4 inches) for the jump. I would be happy to retest if a consensus is made.
Smashter wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:53 am
mountainFrugal is just that much of a beast
RAWRRRRRR! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOw-OXjYVU

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Smashter wrote:
The OCD part of me wants to standardize this. I like the idea of what iDave mentioned, where you have to touch a marker 6 inches above your standing reach for it to count. Not very practical though.
Especially not with 8 foot ceilings.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:15 am
In the video I linked he calls them Suicide Jumps at 1:30 : https://youtu.be/HVo_Jyyw00Q?t=90

I followed this form and height (3-4 inches) for the jump. I would be happy to retest if a consensus is made.
I am happy to use that as the standard so that even the 8-foot ceiling crew can participate.

I don't want to sound like a braggart, but it was actually hard to get myself to stick with such a short hop. I apparently have some deep urge to do explosive jumps from my decades of basketball playing/training.

I got 29 this time. I'm gunning for you, MF!

C40

Post by C40 »

Smashter wrote:
The OCD part of me wants to standardize this.
I think burpees are too far too subjective and variable to use to compare different people who are not doing them right in front of each other. Pull ups, push ups, etc: same.

IMO the only truly comparable methods are the simplest things like running a certain distance on a standard size running track, or using power meters (but only if using reliably accurate meter types, which only works for people participating in the same specific sport - bicycle racing is a good example and power numbers are very comparable)

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Edit: This score invalidated by bad form

33 with smaller jumps, but I had a slippery floor that made me slower. I’m also on the “this might have too much variability to be a useful measurement” argument. I didn’t put my hands above my head though with the jump, is that an important part of form?
Last edited by Slevin on Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

C40 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 pm
I think burpees are too far too subjective and variable to use to compare different people who are not doing them right in front of each other. Pull ups, push ups, etc: same.

IMO the only truly comparable methods are the simplest things like running a certain distance on a standard size running track, or using power meters (but only if using reliably accurate meter types, which only works for people participating in the same specific sport - bicycle racing is a good example and power numbers are very comparable)
If we assume that a horse can be described as a sphere, the burpee exercise boils down to moving one's center of mass up and down through gravitational resistance. So,

Total power = reps * mass * g * delta h / one minute, where delta h is the range of center mass,
and specific power (watts/kg) is total power divided by mass.

The delta h range is the critical aspect of a "fair comparison". It increases if
  • You're taller
  • You jump higher
  • You raise your arms higher during the jump
  • You go lower in the plank, e.g. your arms are shorter
  • You do chest to deck (which we don't do in this thread)
  • Probably some other stuff I didn't think of
I'm currently suffering from a sore arch from walking too much (damn pokemon challenge), but I do remember last time I did a timed effort was that I had an even split after 30 seconds. So there's definitely some technique/physical limits to the absolute max it as well.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Thanks Jacob; I’ll edit my existing post and repost on Monday with full arm above head extensions in the jump when I’m recovered from my strength training last night.