Get strong with: Acrobatics!

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

Get strong with: Acrobatics!

Post by TopHatFox »

I think raising a barbell up and down is boring and expensive in space & often $.

Raising oneself into a handstand, headstand, back-hand spring, back-flip, or other acrobatic moves is way more dynamic, and, yes--fun! It also requires nothing but some ground or a tree, and can be done during breaks or when walking about one's day.

Solvent

Re: Get strong with: Acrobatics!

Post by Solvent »

Well... Yes... But it's not that simple.
With a barbell, learning to deadlift, one week you can lift 20kg. And the next, you can lift 25kg. And after that, 30kg.

Acrobatics are fun, and can make you strong, but how long did it take you to learn a back hand-spring? Did you find the progression straightforward?

Having worked at both acrobatics and weighted movements, I would never hesitate recommending weighted movements over acrobatics for 90% of people wanting to get fitter.

Because in learning a handspring, the first week you can't do it (or anything like it). And the next week you can't do it. And the next week you still can't do it. Without good coaching, and a lot of persistence, it's hard to push through without easily being able to measure your progress. For most people.

I'm not saying that acrobatics won't make you strong, or agile. And I'm not saying that most people can't do it. What I would say, though, is that due to the way you must learn it, most people won't do it.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Indeed! Multiple (or even one) back handspring is on my bucket list, but it requires a very high percentile foundation to engage in. If you already own it, keep it. But if you don't, it's not a starting point. Many can't even maintain a plank for more than a few seconds.

It's similar to parkour. A great idea if you're young enough to not be prone to injury/recover quickly. Old folks either need to have a lot of physiological capital or take a lot of care. Note ... while you're young, build up a lot of flexibility/strength/plyo resistance ... don't let anything slide! (I let my plyo slide :-( )

PS: Anyone in Chicago wanna teach me the back handspring without breaking my spine I'll do it. I'd like to be the next presenter of US Iron Chef ;-P

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

For the back handspring, spend a good long time developing a really nice bridge (and variations), handstand (and variations), and then work through back limbers and front limbers. Once you can do all that, it should be pretty easy to make it dynamic. The benefit is that if you can do all those other "slow" skills, you'll not only do a back handspring, but you'll have a lot more strength, mobility, and injury-resilience.