More on Microbiome

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: More on Microbiome

Post by Ego »

I'm trying to come up with a reason I decided this topic needed to be in DIY Skills rather than Health. What was I thinking?! The only thing I can come up with is the fecal transplant thing, which is DIY. :lol:

Yes, please move it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nature just put out a collection of reviews of the most recent findings on the gut-brain axis. The collection is free but the individual reviews are paywalled. Lot of interesting stuff here....

https://www.nature.com/collections/dyhbndhpzv

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Cool. Bookmarked. Semi-related note, the book "Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision" which I am STRONGLY encouraging everybody to read includes a section entitled "The Rise and Rise of Epigenetics" which might particularly interest you. The parallels between modern soil science and microbiome research are kind of fascinating. My experiment with feeding my micro-orchard a diet promoting a fungal growth such as would be found at the sunny edge of a woodlands was fantastically successful. This spring I saw at least 5 different human eye visible varieties of eukaryotic organisms thriving in a spot that would recently have been described as hard-packed urban-core. If you build it, they will come.

One of the items on my wish list is a microscope with digital camera. Maybe we can all research a good deal, and then have fun posting magnified pictures of our fecal organisms? I am not even joking. I think that would be an interesting thread. Also, might help me finally break free from my pastry addiction.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

NYTimes: Exercise Alters Our Microbiome. Is That One Reason It’s So Good for Us?

"...In particular, they noted widespread increases in certain microbes that can help to produce substances called short-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids are believed to aid in reducing inflammation in the gut and the rest of the body. They also work to fight insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes, and otherwise bolster our metabolisms.

Most of the volunteers had larger concentrations of these short-chain fatty acids in their intestines after exercise, along with the microbes that produce them.

These increases were greatest, though, among the volunteers who had begun the experiment lean compared to those who were obese, the scientists found.

And perhaps not surprisingly, almost all of the changes in people’s guts dissipated after six weeks of not exercising. By and large, their microbiomes reverted to what they had been at the study’s start."

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

theBMJ: The role of the gut microbiome in systemic inflammatory disease

Discusses autoimmune diseases, different forms of IBD, and Includes a little info on fecal transplants.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Gut bacteria play key role in anti-seizure effects of ketogenic diet

Maybe the ideal diet for people is based on individual microbiome conditions and needs. That would explain why some people swear by vegan diets and others swear by keto/paleo/LC diets.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

jennypenny wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:57 am
Gut bacteria play key role in anti-seizure effects of ketogenic diet

Maybe the ideal diet for people is based on individual microbiome conditions and needs. That would explain why some people swear by vegan diets and others swear by keto/paleo/LC diets.
Some people feel great on carbohydrates and some don't. A big part of it, I think, is insulin sensitivity and how people uptake glucose. Some people feel very energized on carbohydrates while some, like myself, get bloated, feel hungrier, etc. Of course, we could also argue that someone who is raised on the standard western diet...who already is heading towards metabolic syndrome...tries to suddenly switch to a vegetarian diet...of course they might feel terrible!

I feel amazing on keto but terrible on vegetarian based diets; however, I don't like going full keto though because it is so expensive. Eventually settled on a compromise where I eat beans almost daily and some meats so I keep my carbs generally pretty low (under 200, ideally 100 or less) and upped my intake of fats (olive oil) for calories.

As far as what is the "right" way to eat, I really feel intermittent fasting, whether keto or vegetarian, is something everyone should try. The amount of research and health benefits coming out is pretty convincing in my opinion. Health benefits range from mental clarity, increased metabolism, lower inflammation, improved insulin sensitivity, anti-aging - it almost sounds like a magic pill. I eat on a 16 hour fast / 8 hour eating window on standard days but when I focus in I skip breakfast + lunch and eat between 6-10pm Monday-Friday.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:25 pm
Ubiome normally charges $89 for their microbiome sequencing test kit but they have a special right now, three kits for $89. $29.33 each. It expires on Friday at midnight.

http://www.ubiomeblog.com/seasons-greet ... it-for-89/

Would anyone like to share a kit?
https://www.businessinsider.com/custome ... ing-2019-5

FBI raided Ubiome for their billing practices and customer complaints. I am not surprised.

I had to call them about five times to get my results released for the first test. Finally they said there was something wrong and sent me a new test but then posted the results of the first test. I sent it back and waited forever. When they finally posted my results online for the second test they appeared to be from two different people. The results were not particularly useful.

Just now I tried to log in. They now insist that I sign a HIPAA authorization for them to use my information. I refused to sign so they refuse to allow me to access the report. Not happy.

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://www.genengnews.com/insights/mic ... s-in-mice/

The transfer of human microbiota to mice has successfully transplanted phenotypes of obesity, depression, Parkinson’s disease, schizophrenia, and multiple sclerosis. Now, we can add autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to the list. A new study suggests that the gut microbiome and its metabolites contribute to hallmark ASD behaviors and associated neuronal activity and gene expression.

Ego

Post by Ego »

DIY mouthwash to promote healthy oral microbiome.
https://youtu.be/EnkJqACCEE4

Xylitol 1g/100ml water
Baking Soda 1g/100ml water
Peppermint Oil 2 drops / 1000ml water
Potassium Nitrate 2g/1000ml water

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

NewBlood wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:07 am
I'd be interested in a typical weekly list of your 30-40 different plant-based foods to get more ideas for meals. I know I'm way far from that number...
I'll post my response here as the reason I started targeting this number was to support a healthy microbiome. I learned about this from a Rich Roll podcast earlier this year and started paying attention to variety in my diet. This has led me to loosening the purse string in the grocery store a bit. For example, I might pay 2-3x for a large bag of deluxe mixed nuts instead of buying the same quantity of peanuts.

I've found focusing on "topping" dishes such as oatmeal or salads is an easy way to add a variety of plant-based foods into my diet. I used to top my oatmeal with one type of fruit and possibly some nuts. Now I'll add a few different kinds of nuts, chia seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and a few different kinds of berries or fruit - all in smaller quantities. I take a similar approach with salads - a few different kinds of nuts and seeds, a mix of greens, radish, green onion, bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and a couple fresh herbs such as basil from my windowsill. Also, eating dishes like soups/stews, stir fry, curry, fried rice, kimchi, and veggie breakfast scrambles add anywhere from 5-10 different plant varieties in one meal.

Here is a list of many of the plant-based foods in our diet over the course of a month:

-Green cabbage, purple cabbage, Napa cabbage (in Kimchi)
-Garlic
-Yellow onion, red onion, Walla Walla sweet onion, green onion
-Ginger
-Carrot
-Celery
-Radish and radish greens (in veggie scrambles)
-Tofu
-Edamame (frozen)
-Peas, green beans, corn (frozen)
-Russet Potato, red potato (sometimes Yukon Gold)
-Sweet potato and yams
-Cucumber
-Bell peppers
-Cauliflower
-Broccoli
-Eggplant
-Salsa (contains a variety of plants but we use jalapeño when making from scratch)
-Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (frozen)
-Grapes (frozen from the garden)
-Plums/prunes and peaches/nectarines (dehydrated and frozen from the garden)
-A variety of apples
-Oats
-Rice (White and Brown)
-Quinoa
-White Flour
-Wheat Flour
-Olive Oil
-Avocado
-Avocado/coconut/safflower oil
-Nutritional yeast
-Honey
-Salt
-Pepper
-Popcorn (air popped)
-Roasted sesame
-Seaweed (Furikake)
-Chia seeds
-Cashews, almonds, pecans, pistachios, peanuts, walnuts
-Raw pumpkin seeds
-Zucchini and yellow squash
-Lettuce/Greens/Spinach/Kale (I started buying Earthbound Farms Spring Mix to increase the variety of greens)

Then there are the fresh and dried herbs. Herbs are a really easy way to add more variety and flavor. Some of the heartier herbs grow pretty easily inside as well. We grow a few varieties of oregano, basil, and mint right now. I buy a large amount of dill during pickling season in the fall and freeze it. I usually have either curly or Italian parsley on hand. We have a well stocked pantry of dried herbs. We also have plenty of different kinds of herbal teas that include different plants.

I also consume organic, vegan protein shakes after resistance training. This has a bunch of different plants, but I don't really count that when I'm trying to hit that target.

I'm sure there are plenty that I'm missing.

*ETA - I almost forgot lentils :lol: . Red, green, brown yellow. I recently started adding dried split peas to some of my lentil soups. I should probably add beans. We don't eat a lot in our household, but garbanzo, black, and kidney beans are always in the pantry.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

Thanks for the list WRC!

Gotcha, counting spices, seasoning and seeds definitely makes my list a bit less sad. Thanks for providing some other nuggets of meal inspiration. I'll catch up with this thread to get the context.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The All Of Us research program offers free whole genome sequencing to participants including ancestry and health analysis.
https://www.joinallofus.org/

The Nutrition for Precision Health study is part of the All Of Us study. You must register for it after completing the initial screening with All Of Us. They are offering free microbiome screening to participants. You must live near one of the centers.
https://nutritionforprecisionhealth.org/