Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
Chad

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by Chad » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:37 am

@jp

At least it's measurable in real life events!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:03 pm

https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-after-50/

Although mostly endurance focused where strength training is seen as complementary, I recommend it anyway.

Ego

Post by Ego » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:48 pm

We ran a 10K this morning. 90 degrees and 90% humidity with a hilly course. I was happy with my effort but even happier when Mrs. Ego came across the finish line as the first woman overall. She won a trophy and a meal at one of the island's nicest restaurant. The speed work is paying off.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:08 am

@Ego--That's awesome! I would have assumed that traveling would have a negative impact on your fitness level. Is it hard to keep it up while traveling?

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:38 pm

It's strange. Now that I look back I realize that our fitness levels plunged (or maybe it is better to say changed) while hiking the Lycian Way. Partially, I believe, because we were carrying heavy packs long distance, day after day, but not really doing anything intense. That effort demanded a lot of calories but the food in the rural places was not terribly nutritious. Lots of white bread. Few fresh vegetables available to purchase.

We turned things around in Ubud. It is by far the healthiest place we've ever been. Organic produce can be bought directly from the small-plot growers and the grocery stores are chock-full of healthy foods. We rented mountain bikes and were riding a lot. Running through the paths along the rice paddies is magnificent.

Mrs. Ego was practicing yoga at the Disneyland of yoga, The Yoga Barn. http://www.theyogabarn.com/ I'm not a yogi, but being around those who are the most dedicated yoga-people in the world had a positive influence, even on me. I mean the doers, those who are actually dedicated to a particular practice. Not those who adopt the trapping of someone who seems to be a doer. They are there too.

I was going to write longer thread on Bali as an ERE destination but I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, one other thing. While walking or riding around Ubud I would count the single females and males. Not the locals, just the foreigners. The ratio was always about 75% female to 25% male. And most people are healthy. The book and movie Eat-Pray-Love showed the West that Ubud is a place where single females can go without being harassed. And so they come in droves. Single ER guys (or ER women interested in finding other women open to adventure) take note.

I digress.

Chad

Post by Chad » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:17 am

Ego wrote: While walking or riding around Ubud I would count the single females and males. Not the locals, just the foreigners. The ratio was always about 75% female to 25% male. And most people are healthy. The book and movie Eat-Pray-Love showed the West that Ubud is a place where single females can go without being harassed. And so they come in droves. Single ER guys (or ER women interested in finding other women open to adventure) take note.
Wouldn't that be harassment if I hit on them? :)

Ego

Post by Ego » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:10 pm

It is interesting to see how the lopsided ratios flip the dynamic entirely.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:10 pm

I took a month long break since finishing Insanity in which I just did a few workouts per week (mainly Fast&Furious and a couple of the Month 1 + a few spinervals). Resting pulse dropped suggesting some previous overtraining. BF% went back up a bit.

Last week I started on Insanity Max:30. So far so good. (My shoulders are DOMS killing me as I type this.)

In terms of intensity, this feels like month 3 in terms of stepping up similar to how month 2 felt compared to month 1 (see post above). The exercises are gnarlier (more stupid human tricks involving more motion/coordination, but I' getting used to picking them up faster); and there are practically no breaks. Post exercise soreness appears almost immediately after a few hours akin to clubbell or kettlebell density training. The good news is that workouts all only last 30 minutes which I greatly appreciate. Month 2 took almost one hour each every day ... which is a lot considering the HIIT nature---almost a 1000kcal total burn. Max:30 is just HIT... there aren't really any intervals left. Also, there's practically no stretching. The warmout is part of the workout and thus you just kinda scale into it.

In my opinion, this system works great until the point where one maxes out. After that it feels like efficiency goes down a lot because there are no 30 seconds to recover. Compare doing burpees for 3 minutes followed by a 30 second break and then repeating. You might last a few rounds. Then try just going all out until you fail. Then start again. The first run is great. The subsequent ones get more and more pathetic. Of course this pushes the body a lot more even if the total reps are ultimately fewer.

Interestingly, while Insanity was mainly limited (for me) by muscular endurance, Max:30 is mainly limited (for me) by aerobic capacity. Which is new, and weird, and pathetic. Also nonstrategic, since aerobic capacity is one of the few age-dependent markers :?

I'm happy to note that I'm somewhere in the middle of the cast this time. Last time, I was near the bottom when I began. Of course there are always a couple of superhero[in]es.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:09 pm

As a proxy measure for the frequency of flailing limbs intensity ...

30 minutes of Max:30 records as ~3000 steps.
55 minutes of Insanity records as ~2000-2500 steps.

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:56 am

This morning we did the Bali International Triathlon & 5K. I did the sprint tri and Mrs. Ego the 5K.

I had reserved a tri-bike but somehow the reservation got lost in translation so I ended up borrowing a folding bike from a nice Indonesian woman who overheard my plight. While the bike was way too small for me and more suited for commuting to school, I was happy to have it and made the best of a less than perfect situation.

Mrs. Ego kicked ass in the run once again. She was the second woman overall. I have to admit, I think I get more pleasure out of seeing her win than I would had I won myself.

In triathlons the organizers write your age on the back of your calf for all to see. I was passed on the bike by a guy with the number 69 scrawled on his leg. When he passed I yelled, “I’m giving it everything I got and I’m getting passed by a #&$%@#$ 69 year old". He immediately sped up and left me in the dust. I eventually caught him near the end of the run and we crossed the finish line together.
jacob wrote:
Look at the healthy outliers that you know/are aware of.

Then do what they do. Adopt their behavior.
I sat with him after the race and we talked about what he does. He said he is a persistent mother %#@#&! and he refuses to use his age as an excuse or as a way to inflate his accomplishments. Interesting guy.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Often wonder Ego if you keep a blog or record of your and your wife's adventures/travels on a blog ...would love to read about them.

Ego

Post by Ego » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for asking. PM sent.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:49 am

That's awesome, Ego.

I've added yoga to my routine to help with balance and flexibility. No offense to anyone who enjoys yoga, but I really struggle with how boring it is. I'm going to stick with it for now. It might help if I wore headphones so I couldn't hear the snap, crackle, pop of my joints as I did it. It would also help if my dog didn't try to lie down on the mat with me.

I think part of the problem is that I like to feel, I don't know ... wrecked, I guess, after working out. Do you know what I mean? Yoga is supposed to make me feel rejuvenated (which is does), but that's not nearly as satisfying. *sigh* I have issues. :(

Chad

Post by Chad » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 am

jennypenny wrote: I think part of the problem is that I like to feel, I don't know ... wrecked, I guess, after working out. Do you know what I mean? Yoga is supposed to make me feel rejuvenated (which is does), but that's not nearly as satisfying. *sigh* I have issues. :(
I completely agree. I like to feel spent after a workout. If my body isn't telling me "that's enough!" then it doesn't feel like a workout. I used to have to sit down for 10-15 minutes after a leg workout just to be able to climb the stairs to leave the gym. And, yes, I'm sure I over train now and then.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:12 am

Still no running :( OTOH, another clean workup. It's been a while since they plucked anything out of me. Fingers crossed that I've finally turned the corner.

I'm doing ok exercising. Work's been crazy busy, but the Christmas rush for self-pubbers is about over so I can get back to my normal routine. I also had some work done on the house (new driveway, new sewer line) that interrupted my routine as well.

It's hard for me to exercise without firm goals in mind. I think that's why I like running so much. Incremental increases in weights or decreases in body measurements are good but don't give me the same mental boost as a PR in mileage or time. I need to work on that. I haven't seen anything in the Best way to measure health/wellness thread that's caught my eye, either. Nothing my doctor measures is going to help me. I look like a 90yo former junkie on all of those tests. The one measurement I've started taking daily because of that thread is my resting heart rate.

I'll give it two more months, and then I'm going to try running again.

----

I'm trying to mix up my music a bit. I added some newer stuff to the playlist like ...

Elle King Ex's and Oh's (GTOO--you might like this one)
Kongos Come with me now
Daniel Rateliff's S.O.B. (my boys pointed that one out to me because it reminded them of me :oops: )

And I tried playing slower rock music like Rival Sons Open My Eyes over the other stuff when doing yoga and it helped.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:53 pm

jennypenny wrote: It's hard for me to exercise without firm goals in mind. I think that's why I like running so much. Incremental increases in weights or decreases in body measurements are good but don't give me the same mental boost as a PR in mileage or time.
Do you mean incremental increases in workout weights as in "the weight used for 3 sets of 10"? Yeah, I get that ... but it's easy to find alternatives. The density training I do with weights can easily be translated into PRs in points. E.g. how many clean&press can I do in 10 minutes? This can be a weekly test aside from the density progression.

The Max:30 I currently do has one write down the time of first failure (judged by the honor system) e.g. 16:27 for each workout. Since there are several different workouts, there's a PR associated with each. This can be highly motivating. BTW, the Max:30 has a low-impact modifier for everything.

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:15 am

Day 14 of Insanity. 2nd Fit test

Day 1 Day 14

Switch Kicks- 115 (1 kick is 1rep) 130
Power Jacks-60 63
Power Knees-102 103
Power Jumps-41 57
Globe Jumps- 11 12.5
Suicide Jumps- 17 21
Push Up Jacks- 36* 53
Low Plank Oblique- 41 (2 knees is 1 rep) 45

Very pleased. Improvements across the board. Had no issues with stopping this time unlike the first time on the push up jacks (because of sprained wrist). It also helped that there were a number of small things over the past 24 hours that have irritated me quite a bit. That provided some great fuel for the fire. :twisted:

Having been through Insanity a few times, I know the moves well. It does not appear to take too long for me to get back into solid form. My numbers on Day 1 and Day 14 now would smoke the numbers from my first time through Insanity. I have those around somewhere...I'll need to look for them. Anyways, on wards and upwards.

Chad

Post by Chad » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:11 pm

@JP
Love the Kongos.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm struggling with goals. It's hard to have more than one without short-changing them both. Do you think it's worth it to rotate between goals regularly? Like spending three months on getting faster, three months getting stronger, three months on endurance, and then three months on flexibility and new skills? I wouldn't ignore the other three categories for 9 months of the year, but I would only focus on drastic improvements in one at a time. Maybe it could be shortened to two month intervals? I'd probably add a break with a fast between each interval.

@Chad -- Cool. Something else to add to the list with football, beer, and MMA. :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Just started month 2 of Max:30. Initial performance with the new month was shameful as usual.

It's funny how every new month is like a punch in the face to the thought that I thought was in pretty good shape.

I'd estimate them as follows in terms of [my] perceived hardness:

Running 10k: 80%
Insanity month 1: 100%
Insanity month 2: 200%
Max:30 month 1: 250%
Max:30 month 2: 350% (it's as if you set out to do a 10k and conk out with a DNF after 8 minutes, more or less.)
Insanity Asylum: ???%

I need to pull out some physiology graphs to see if the age excuse really is valid. In particular whether max BPM and VO2max do go down with age. I'm definitely finding that I simply can't follow the program without overtraining. Month 1 took me two months to get through and I DNS'ed on 25% of the planned days.