Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
C40

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by C40 »

Two of the things I'm looking forward to the most about buying a house:
- room for a big garden
- space for a gym!

Hopefully I'll be sharing pictures of my ERE strength training setup within the next 6 months :-)

On the actual fitness side, I made a "6 pack challenge" bet that ends by July 4 with a co-worker. He is continually overweight while nearly continually having plans/bets about losing weight. His part of the bet wasn't to get a 6 pack but it was to lose a VERY challenging amount of weight (his own choice). He's going to have $100 for me on Monday. yay!

riparian

Post by riparian »

A real bear. Normally I have polite black bear neighbors but now I have this creepy stalker grizzly bear. It's actually illegal to shoot brown bears (plus a lot of fucking work) except for in defense of life and property, but totally legal to shoot black bears. Anyways, I figured I could solve this problem by eventually shooting him or by not running in the woods, and not running in the woods sounds much simpler. (He hasn't come around here and tried to get anything, which is unusual for a problematic sort of bear. He seems to be a young male so he'll probly move on shortly.)

Anyways. I'm going to a conference in a couple weeks and was hoping to lose like 15 more pounds before I got there. Fatness totally fucks with my income when I travel. Damnedest damn problems.

workathome

Post by workathome »

How does fatness fuck with your travel? I don't think airlines charge more??

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Riparian's income is affected, not the travel.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Sorry, I meant to delete that post. I don't see the option to edit it or anything now.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Can that time frame be extended? Some of us feel differently about what we've posted the next day :oops:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Bigato, you're too nice to realize how often some of us with no filter have to edit our posts :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

An article about the dangers of triathalons for middled-aged men...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-2 ... hlons.html

Ego and I have discussed the reported dangers of endurance training before. Running is the sport they usually focus on, and some studies show an increase in cancer rates for long distance runners. This is the first time I've seen triathalons as the focus. Apparently, the swim is to blame...
“The swim seems to be a particularly dangerous time,” said Andre La Gerche, a cardiologist at Melbourne’s St Vincent’s Hospital and marathoner. “Paradoxically, in the marathon, it’s the opposite: it’s the last mile of the event where the vast majority of fatalities occur.”

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I have plenty of excuses (none as good as a bear!) but my workouts have not been steady. I did my couch to 10k run today and it hurt. It has been six weeks and I am only on week four. Diet has stunk too. Too much junk food around with increased traffic...

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote: “The swim seems to be a particularly dangerous time,” said Andre La Gerche, a cardiologist at Melbourne’s St Vincent’s Hospital and marathoner. “Paradoxically, in the marathon, it’s the opposite: it’s the last mile of the event where the vast majority of fatalities occur.”
One of my pet peeves. Years ago races were put on by volunteer organizations and held for the sake of the race alone. They were cheap, relatively short (10K) and the participants did a few races a month, with a handful of participants racing every weekend. Everyone knew everyone else and we all competed to make each other stronger.

Today races have become expensive, large, silly, profit-making, mud-n-roll dress-up chalk throwing festivals that fund feel-good charities. At the other end of the spectrum are ultra-long races where middle aged guys who haven't exercised in ten years set absurd goals - sedentary to ultra-marathoner in six months - then wonder why they get irreparably injured at kilometer 60. The middle ground, a simple, cheap, weekly 10k has all but disappeared because municipalities require large charity donations for permits.

A few years ago I entered a mid-winter tri-club sprint race. It was a beach start and when I dove into the first wave I literally couldn't breathe. It was the first and only time in my life I ever quit a race. I'm not surprised that the swim is particularly dangerous.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

epic fail this week...

I had another small procedure done, and instead of just scaling back my workouts I skipped them entirely. Ugh! Why do I do that? I don't skip showering or brushing my teeth when something goes wrong, so why do I skip the workout? I need to change how I view it mentally.

Heading out for an easy run this morning just to shake off the cobwebs.

Hottentot

Post by Hottentot »

jennypenny wrote:epic fail this week...

I had another small procedure done, and instead of just scaling back my workouts I skipped them entirely. Ugh! Why do I do that? I don't skip showering or brushing my teeth when something goes wrong, so why do I skip the workout? I need to change how I view it mentally.

Heading out for an easy run this morning just to shake off the cobwebs.
The way i keep doing my workouts is to not make them a chore.
I focus only in what i'm training. If it's the upper body, the lower body or total body.

Today i practiced upperbody so i did some sets of pullups, dips and pushups till almost exhaustion.
Tomorrow i'll do some light training, maybe just some abs.
The next day i'll do HIIT training total body, so i do some burpees with squats.
And this goes on. It's never boring for me because i don't always do the same variations, it's less than 50 minutes and i plan based on what i practiced the previous day, of course with resting days in mind.
So i almost never skip a workout.

But this is me and i'm not obssessed with becoming big or something like that. I'm ectomorph anyway, i can't become big without supplementation and a religious routine of weight training.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I started swinging clubbells again using a density protocol (I think it's described in the ERE book). I'm already reminded how much HIIT sucks. Following an aerobic ride on the bike trainer, I subsequently feel good (endorphins). However, after HIIT, I just feel bad and whiny.

However, results are coming quick (it's much quicker to regain than to actually gain). I'm already half as awesome as I was at age 30.

Once I reach my goal of 120+ swipes <10 minutes, I'm probably going to lose all interest, as usual.

The goal is based on this
http://www.rmaxinternational.com/home/i ... &task=view
My record is 231 points in the 180lbs division. It's too bad that this competition didn't take off.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Club bells are one thing I have never tried. Probably have to add them in at some point to see what benefits I get.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

[quote][Today races have become expensive, large, silly, profit-making, mud-n-roll dress-up chalk throwing festivals that fund feel-good charities./quote]

I agree with this. People who know me as a triathlete continually ask me are you doing (insert area glow run, mud race, etc.) I am just not a fan.... In fact even the original spirit of the ironman has been bastaradized to coporate levels destroying the original intent of the athletes who did the first triathlon. Ironman races today commonly charge over $700 simply to participate.

http://www.triathlonhistory.com/

Why is that when you need exercise the most, it is the hardest to get going? My own exercise regime has been lacking lately.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

sshawnn wrote:[quoteWhy is that when you need exercise the most, it is the hardest to get going?
Distractions & priorities. I've been "computing" for the past month and realized it's past time to incorporate more exercise again.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Ego wrote:Today races have become expensive, large, silly, profit-making, mud-n-roll dress-up chalk throwing festivals that fund feel-good charities.
So this, have had several girlfriends that never wanted to go hike or bike with me, but the loved these stupid, expensive back patting festivals.

exGF y: I'm going to run a *drum-roll* HALF MARATHON!
Me: You want to run one? Alright, let's put our shoes on and do a .25 now, and in a week we'll do a half.
exGF y: This one is for charity.
Me: Ok, we'll cut them a check... Let's go run! You don't have to buy exercise.
exGF y: ...
Me: *dies a little inside*

I'm also annoyed by long distance proselytizers in general... You shuffled your feet for 6 hours without stopping, I get it. But please stop pretending you've reached the pinnacle of physical achievement or I make you give me your lunch money!.. I'm glad that sentiment is dying and CrossFit (which looks like a great program) is replacing it. That said, I think the competition in a CF gym would be beneficial, but as an omega type all the type As would really start to irritate me.
/rant

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The last two weeks have been much better. I haven't missed a run. I even made it through that crazy heat wave last week. I also signed up for a couple of races. I know some of you think they're over-priced indulgences for runners (which many are), but I need the incentive. I'm a cheap bastard, so if I pay money to enter a race then I know I'll run it. I also like having a training schedule. I'm not a "wing it" kind of person when it comes to exercise.

Do any of you follow Anton Krupicka or any of the other minimalist trail runners? There's a new movie out about him I'm going to see. I like his minimalist style. He's known to duct tape some gels in the waistband of his shorts and just head out. He also lives out of his truck for part of the year so he can run. I like the way a lot of trail runners have been living--low budget, low frills--just to do what they love. Seems very ERE. Reminds me of some of the old timers in the movie Riding Giants. Trail/ultra running has taken off now, so the influx of money will change the vibe going forward, but I've enjoyed watching the way some of the runners live.

OOPS! This link is the making of In the High Country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4FQylCMEA

Watch this--actual trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlEDMBeJOP0

Trailer for Riding Giants (fun movie if you've never seen it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADy8f6t4Ri8

Ego

Post by Ego »

That looks like it will be good.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:The last two weeks have been much better. I haven't missed a run. I even made it through that crazy heat wave last week. I also signed up for a couple of races. I know some of you think they're over-priced indulgences for runners (which many are), but I need the incentive. I'm a cheap bastard, so if I pay money to enter a race then I know I'll run it. I also like having a training schedule. I'm not a "wing it" kind of person when it comes to exercise.

Do any of you follow Anton Krupicka or any of the other minimalist trail runners? There's a new movie out about him I'm going to see. I like his minimalist style. He's known to duct tape some gels in the waistband of his shorts and just head out. He also lives out of his truck for part of the year so he can run. I like the way a lot of trail runners have been living--low budget, low frills--just to do what they love. Seems very ERE. Reminds me of some of the old timers in the movie Riding Giants. Trail/ultra running has taken off now, so the influx of money will change the vibe going forward, but I've enjoyed watching the way some of the runners live.

OOPS! This link is the making of In the High Country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4FQylCMEA

Watch this--actual trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlEDMBeJOP0

Trailer for Riding Giants (fun movie if you've never seen it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADy8f6t4Ri8

Congratulations on 2 week success. What is the psychological rule of thumb for the time to create a habit? 3 weeks, I think. Only one more week.

Minimalist sport thing seems very popular amongst the non-team and non-direct competition sports. Climbing seems to be another huge minimalist sport. Even skiing gets a few people who are basically ERE just so they can ski and that sport is expensive.

I will second Riding Giants. I have watched it numerous times. It makes you wonder why aren't surfing and living in the back of your vehicle.