Sunbed for vitamin D and/or vitamin D pills in wintertime

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
J_

Sunbed for vitamin D and/or vitamin D pills in wintertime

Post by J_ »

In the last month of spring, in the summer months and the first month of autumn I take a sunbath at least three times a week out in the air. So can my skin make enough vitamin D. But in winter there is too little sunshine in the Netherlands at 52 latitude.

Sufficient vitamin D levels in your blood is very important to improve your immune system, for your bones and heart and to avoid diabetes 1, cancers and multiple sclerose.
One of the indicators for a bad reaction of your body to a Covid infection is a too low vitamin D level. Litterature advises 30 ng/mol of vitamin D level in your blood.

So in the wintermonths I take every week a sunbed treatment of 15 minutes. I have a skin which has a "normal" sensivity.
In those months I take vitamin D 1000 iu pills on the other days.

This is my layman knowledge, please comment.

Alphaville

Re: Sunbed for vitamin D and/or vitamin D pills in wintertime

Post by Alphaville »

i take vit d supplement year round since my local uv rays are brutal and the wrong wavelength and i have a history of sunburns in childhood+youth (life in the tropics). hence don’t want to tempt fate. but i miss the beach.

years ago dr. tested levels & found them low (bit of a new thing these tests and not a sure thing) and prescribed supplements.

placebo perhaps or not? but i find it helps me avoid winter depression and my wife used to get muscle pains now gone.

northern latitudes do a number on my brain and vit d + fish oil seem to help.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Are you sure the sunbed has the same effect on the body as the sun with respect to production of Vitamin D?

My understanding is that sunbeds are for tanning and those machines generate different wavelengths of light compared to the sun. Consequently, with respect to Vitamin D, I don't think sunbeds are comparable to the sun.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

Sunbeds are a terrible idea.
Sun burns and gives a warning you should listen to. You usually do not expose your whole body to the sun anyways.
UV beds isolate UV from IR and visible light, which is never recommended.
You will increase your risk of getting skin cancer, possibly damage your eyes without noticing, for no real health benefit.

Stick to the pills, and walk outside at midday when the sun is bright, just 10 min would do the job if you are fair-skinned.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

stoneage wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:54 am
Stick to the pills, and walk outside at midday when the sun is bright, just 10 min would do the job if you are fair-skinned.
according to my dr the areas we get exposed with clothes on (face, forearms) dont do much for vit d levels

didnt discuss the science as it’s not his job to school me and has other patients but yeah

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I take 2500iu of D3 most days. This keeps me a little above borderline low levels, based on blood tests from my annual physical.

I don't really like going outside, especially when it is hot and sunny.
Last edited by Scott 2 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoneage

Post by stoneage »

Choose your poison...

https://www.e-cancer.fr/Professionnels- ... the-debate
Summary : We were able to apply all epidemiological criteria for causality to the relationship between sunbed use and melanoma. Together with the new evidence on the strength, dose response, and temporality of the association of sunbeds with melanoma, this will hopefully close the debate over whether indoor tanning contributes to melanoma.
https://www.e-cancer.fr/Comprendre-prev ... ees-recues
L'EXPOSITION ARTIFICIELLE AUX UV NE CONTRIBUE PAS, OU TRÈS PEU, À LA PRODUCTION DE VITAMINE D
Cette vitamine, nécessaire notamment à la fixation du calcium sur les os, est produite par l'organisme à partir d'expositions aux UVB, mais aussi absorbée par voie digestive. Or les lampes de bronzage artificiel émettent une faible quantité d'UVB, rayons également responsables des coups de soleil. C'est pourquoi l'exposition aux UV artificiels ne permet pas d'augmenter son taux de vitamine D. Dans le cas d'une carence, la seule solution efficace consiste en une complémentation par voie orale, qui vous sera prescrite par votre médecin.

MÊME OCCASIONNELLE, TOUTE EXPOSITION AUX UV ARTIFICIELS PEUT ENTRAÎNER UN CANCER
Les études épidémiologiques disponibles ne permettent pas d'identifier une fréquence en-dessous de laquelle le risque de cancer cutané ne serait pas augmenté. Plusieurs études ont même montré une élévation de ce risque chez les personnes faisant une séance moins d'une fois par mois.
ARTIFICIAL UV EXPOSURE DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE PRODUCTION OF VITAMIN D, OR VERY LITTLE.
This vitamin, necessary in particular for the fixing of calcium on the bones, is produced by the body from exposure to UVB, but also absorbed by the digestive tract. However, artificial tanning lamps emit a small amount of UVB, rays also responsible for sunburn. This is why exposure to artificial UV rays does not increase your vitamin D level. In the event of a deficiency, the only effective solution is oral supplementation, which will be prescribed to you by your doctor.

EVEN OCCASIONAL, ANY EXPOSURE TO ARTIFICIAL UV CAN CAUSE CANCER
The available epidemiological studies do not make it possible to identify a frequency below which the risk of skin cancer would not be increased. Several studies have even shown an increase in this risk in people who do a session less than once a month.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Vitamin D increases calcium absorbtion. Calcium can strengthen your bones. It can also calcify your arteries or end up as calcium oxide kidney stones. That's why a lot of people stack it with vitamin K2 which stimulates bone growth so that the calcium goes where you want it to. Personally I get this premixed:

https://smile.amazon.com/Thorne-Researc ... rne&sr=8-4

J_

Post by J_ »

Thanks all for advise. I will quit visits to the sundbed.

SimpleTimes

Post by SimpleTimes »

Definitely agree on skipping the sunbeds. Some eggs, especially those from pasture-raised hens that have been able to forage in the sunlight contain an amount of Vitamin D. I've found them more effective than supplements personally. An egg a day keeps the doctor away lol!

And mushrooms contain Vitamin D as well.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Marc Sorenson: Embrace the Sun

If you are looking for good information on the sun, tanning beds, Vitamin D, etc. and enjoy listening to podcasts, this is a great episode packed with good practical info.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

I was speaking more towards Dr. Marc Sorenson but all information should be independently verified.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i've never independently verified the existence of atoms, but i trust they're there thanks to the collaborative production of theories which have not been falsified after rigorous & repeatable empirical experiments.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

OK?