COVID topic vol 2

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
A Life of FI

Re: COVID topic vol 2

Post by A Life of FI »

Ego wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 am
What might that calculation look like adjusted for obesity and other comorbidities?
The 26 Euro countries that participate in Euromono have had about 380 deaths above what is considered a substantial increase (the red dotted line) in the 15 to 44 year age group, per my calculations.

There are almost certainly immunosuppressed, obese or people with other comorbidiities in that number but even without getting into the comorbidities the number in itself is relatively small to start with - considering the total population of those 26 countries.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

For vaccinating 300 million people from 16th January until July-end:

Russia's Sputnik 5, in third stage of trials, gets approval for emergency use. Shots will be imported as well as manufactured by Dr Reddy's and 5 others for local trials.

Pfizer: applies for emergency use authorization in December.
India: Do bridging study in India
Pfizer: First commit to buying the shots.
India: No
Pfizer: withdraws its application in February.

Johnson & Johnson vaccine (in collaboration with Biological E), Novavax vaccine (in collaboration with Serum India), Zydus Cadila's vaccine, and Bharat Biotech's Intranasal Vaccine maybe approved by October.

Infected: 13,873,825
Active: 1,108,000
Recovered: 12,336,036
Deaths: 172,085
1st dose: 97,177,000
2nd dose: 13,009,000

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

A Life of FI wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm
The real problem is the fifty plus group, all of them in the UK have been offered a vaccine now but in some ares as many as 30% haven't taken it. These are the people filling intensive care.

Coming out of lockdown looks trickier than going in.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@ducknald_don:

Yup, non-compliance is such in my region that the fully vaccinated grouchy old man with whom I reside grimly joked that he may be one of the last surviving Republican men over 50 in our state. I replied “Well, bright side would be that it ought to improve your dating options.”

Frita

Post by Frita »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am
@ducknald_don:

Yup, non-compliance is such in my region that the fully vaccinated grouchy old man with whom I reside grimly joked that he may be one of the last surviving Republican men over 50 in our state. I replied “Well, bright side would be that it ought to improve your dating options.”
Ha, thanks for the laugh.

That reminds me of this zinger. People here are about 99% masked up. I saw someone walking by with a mask over just the mouth, which I occasionally see.
Frita: Teen, wearing a mask over just one’s chin is a “chin diaper.” What do you call it if it’s over the mouth but not the nose?
Teen (without missing a beat in flat, Garfield-like affect): a Republican

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I dunno, the biggest non-compliance I've seen over the last few months is in NJ -- a democratic stronghold. Besides, I thought we weren't doing politics anymore?

I wish this kind of stuff would stay on the MMM forums. :(

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Frita:

Luckily, the Republican with whom I reside is also reasonably intelligent about science/math and extremely fastidious.

I’m sure it varies by region, but in my neck of the woods, it is very difficult to find any man over 55 of either political affiliation who really believes in climate change or resource depletion, and it’s like the Reds half don’t believe in it one way and the Blues half don’t believe in it another way. So, my super fantastic choices are Anger, Condescension, Silence or Celibacy.

@jp:

Cross-post, but I did try to flip it from politics to “can’t teach any old dogs new tricks.” IOW, cross lunch table grouchy old lady talk.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yes, this is what happens when the people welcome without question the narrative being intubated down the throat of society.
They can't help but to regurgitate it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yup, that’s why it’s better to read a wide variety of books and to talk to a wide variety of people instead of social media, podcasts, blogs, your usual breakfast club etc.

Ego

Post by Ego »

You left out the most important.

Think

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Right, and then come to your own conclusions held open to constant update/revision in alignment with Bayesian probability, intuition, etc.

In the book “Decisive”, one suggestion towards facilitating mending of a broken dialogue was to ask both parties what evidence (loosely defined) it would take to convince them of opposing take. So, for instance, if I still needed to be vaccinated, a known/discovered mechanism linking high risk for J&J to my specific demographic OR an order of magnitude higher statistical incidence might cause me to refuse it.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

jennypenny wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 am
I thought we weren't doing politics anymore?
You didn’t get the joke?

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Following up on my personal experience of recovering from Covid last year, with my libido raging hard as ever;

No less than 4 of my uncles in their late 40’s to late 50’s had Covid, one of whom is a chain smoker and one of whom is obese. All fully recovered. They stayed at home and received no medical treatments.

My 80 year old grandmother has recently recovered from Covid. She is overweight, has Type 2 diabetes and has previously enjoyed two heart attacks. She stayed at home and received no medical treatments.

No one I know has died. Family, friends of friends, colleagues, people at the outermost fringe of my social network. No one. Zero.

My sympathies are with those who have lost loved ones. I would have the same sympathies if they lost loved ones to regular old influenza.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Received my first Pfizer shot yesterday.

IL finally opened up for "the other 60%" (inessential non/workers between 16 and 65).

Things to report: Online booking at an IL mass vaccination site (empty store at a strip mall). Booking was no problem (there were open slots available for hours) and comparable to booking a plane ticket w/o having to fill in much more than your name which they'll match to your ID. (They never asked for proof of insurance. The process was free.) The site logistics was run by the army directing people around (sit there, okay now walk over there, sit there, go to station #44,...) and blue-shirts and purple-shirts doing the shots and taking head temperatures. It took about 1 hr to get through including 15 mins of "recovery" (checking for adverse side-effects). No bottlenecks in the system---they must have been at this for a while---maybe the army should take over the USPS :-P They auto-booked my second shot on the spot. Far far less paperwork and signatures involved than what's typically required to get a cleaning at the dentist. I like! Oh yeah, valved-masks were not allowed. I anticipated there might be "complications" trying to communicate through my P100/N95 monster, which makes it even harder for people to hear my mumbling voice, so I double-masked instead. Overall, people were very good at spacing. I figure there was probably some self-selection effect for the most "well-trained" humans early on in the season.

So far no side-effects but a slightly sore shoulder.
(If I didn't know, I'd guess I'd taken a hard hit or a punch to the shoulder a few hours ago.)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Congratulations!

I was knocked pretty hard by second Moderna dose. Chills, terrible headache, fatigue, and pretty big lump on arm, but I have known to be hyper-active immune response, so MMV.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

An old post of mine reminded me of a better way to think about the J&J vaccine, not that it matters (unless you're a J&J shareholder) since other vaccines are available, unless they're not.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/my-hd ... -care.html

Specifically, NNT (numbers needed to treat), NNH (harm), NNV (vaccinate).

NNH is 1,000,000 (as discussed above)

The definition of "treatment" is a bit iffy but lets define treatment for a vaccine as something that keeps you out of the hospital.

Since Janssen keeps everybody out of the hospital, the NNT for 40-49 year olds is
https://www.statista.com/statistics/112 ... te-by-age/
100,000/176.8 = 565 .. but since these stats only included half a year and doesn't include the third wave, I feel comfortable dividing by (at least 2) to get 282, so

NNT is 282 (for the 40-49 yos) ... that is to say, you need to vaccinate 282 people to keep one person out of the hospital.

The NNV is defined by the inverse of the incidence rate. Unfortunately we haven't tested everybody so we don't know what it is. It also varies by location as some places are harder hit than others, we can put a limit on it. The Dakotas are the hardest hit in the nation with 13.5% of the population having tested positive at this point.

NNV is 1/0.135 = 7.4

In summary
NNH ~ 1,000,000
NNT ~ 250ish (for a 40-49yo)
NNV ~ 7 (for all ages)

Unless one is philosophically opposed, these are no-brainer ratios. People regularly take drugs with far worse ratios.

A COVID hospitalization course runs on the order of $10,000 to more than $100k. This gives the vaccine an fair/arbitrage market value (if you had to pay for it instead of getting it for free) for a 40-49yo of $10000/282 = $35 or more. (This estimate does not include lost hours for being sick at home or paying for long-hauler treatments which would increase the fair value.)

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am
Yes, this is what happens when the people welcome without question the narrative being intubated down the throat of society.
They can't help but to regurgitate it.
What narrative ?

Ego

Post by Ego »

chenda wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am

What narrative ?
I could post a thousand examples where the media framed a person espousing thoughtful, mild criticism of our covid response as a Trump supporting, tobacco chewing, capitol invading, inbred, idiot.

It is no surprise that....
Frita wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 am
Frita: Teen, wearing a mask over just one’s chin is a “chin diaper.” What do you call it if it’s over the mouth but not the nose?

Teen (without missing a beat in flat, Garfield-like affect): a Republican
I am not hammering on Frita or the Teen and I am not commenting on the politics. I just think it is amazing how well the mindfuck has taken hold considering obvious evidence to the contrary. For instance, in the US Naomi Wolf is one of the loudest voices speaking against the covid response. And in Europe you see things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuEh-cm6J0

They don't appear to be extremists to me. Except for the beat box guy. Beat boxers always try to take over and impose their nonsense on everyone.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Maybe I would be more inclined to buy the Covid-lockdowns equal tyrannical government power grab argument if it weren’t for the case that I’ve read historical accounts of government responses to other pandemics such as the last great plague in London. In that situation, if one member of a household tested positive, the entire household was put under lock and guard. This policy and many others did not continue after the plague burned out.

I am not privy to her reasoning, but in my state the governor is not choosing to return to lock-down even though cases have sky-rocketed, and I think this is because she is trying to act in sync with the will of the people in a new landscape where the vast majority of those at risk have been availed of the option to be vaccinated.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:35 am
I am not privy to her reasoning, but in my state the governor is not choosing to return to lock-down even though cases have sky-rocketed, and I think this is because she is trying to act in sync with the will of the people in a new landscape where the vast majority of those at risk have been availed of the option to be vaccinated.
That's my attitude too. I've heard it described in terms to the effect that "given the availability to effectively bulletproof vaccines to everyone who wants them, the pandemic is morally over" with the only people still going to the hospitals/morgues being those who deliberately decided that the risk of not getting vaccinated was worth it.

(Insert various disclaimers about those who for one or another want to but cannot get vaccinated. Also the timing because full voluntary vaccination won't be over until June.)