Sandbag Workout?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Gilberto de Piento

Sandbag Workout?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Anyone tried working out with a sandbag? Anyone tried making your own bag? I'd prefer free weights but I don't want to take up space or spend money. I already have sand and I can probably get a duffel bag for free. I know the sandbag thing is hyped right now but it seems to have some benefits.

theanimal

Re: Sandbag Workout?

Post by theanimal »

I've used them in packs for weighted hikes and also as a semi fireman carry back and forth mixed with other exercises. I wasn't aware they were in and don't know what others do with them. I think it's worthwhile to try if you already have the materials. Its just weight in a different form.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I haven't but it's on my to-do list (since 10+ years, from back when functional fitness was all the rage and I was still "collecting" workout equipment :-P ). The DIY way would be to stuff a duffel bag with many double lined duct-tape wrapped ziplocks full of dry sand. You can then adjust its weight by adding/removing the ziplocks. Tony Horton's Hard Corps program (which you can pick up for <$15 on ebay) uses sand bags. A sandbags is mostly a "shifty" version of a barbell that's hard to grip, so similar exercises apply (squats, presses, deadlifts, ...) while supposedly targeting the stabilizers and grip better. Also a lot cheaper than a barbell.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I use a sandbag for striking drills. Basically a square pouch 8”x8” . I filled it with beach sand from the beach for free.

Not quite what you want to do but I suspect construction is the same. I bought some XXL denim jeans from my local thrift shop. Some big big fat guy’s jeans. Never worn. Maybe he lost weight and they didn’t fit anymore. Wrangler brand. Cut panels and stitched them together.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I've made my own sandbag . I purchased super cheap pea gravel (2ea 50lb bags), weighed out 30lbs into a heavy duty construction garbage bag (puncture resistant & thicker mil) and then wrapped it with gorilla tape. This gave me a 20lb bag, 30lb bag, and 50lb bag. This design has been going strong for over a year. If you plan to really throw the bags around, you can DIY a canvas bag to wrap them in.

My inspiration for this build was from a site called rosstraining.com. He makes a lot of his own equipment.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2017/01/he ... -homemade/
https://rosstraining.com/blog/2019/12/t ... equipment/