Yunnan Hantavirus

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
fiby41

Yunnan Hantavirus

Post by fiby41 »

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Yunnan Hantavirus

Post by jacob »

Person-person transmissions of hantavirus are very rare.

People get infected from rodent urine or dry (dusty) feces insofar they hang around where mice live, like e.g. when going camping or sleeping on the ground. Obviously also when mice make it into the home and take care of business there. In the US, hantavirus is mainly an issue in the western parts of the country. There's about a dozen cases per year.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Thanks for the information. I've not been able to locate source but does it spread through saliva, mice bite? That is the reason being given.
I've seen a video of a man gulping baby mice with chopsticks intervalled by alcohol sips which I could share to prove I'm not making this up but my concern is as the mice were showing signs of movement does than mean they were uncooked

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

See https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/transmission.html ... and yes, also eating mice unless thoroughly cooked.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Here in my parts (SW USA) people get hantavirus usually when they're cleaning an old shed covered in rat feces and they don't use bleach or wear a mask, that sort of foolishness.

It's rare but it happens, and death happens if I recall because the body overreacts to the infection and basically tears itself up. I remember there have been some experiments with immuno-suppressing therapies that increased survivability.

I hate mice and will not stay in any dwelling that features mice droppings. Always check around/behind/under the stove.