Exercise and Covid19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thrifty++

Exercise and Covid19

Post by thrifty++ »

Has everyone on here stopped going to the gym?

With 52 confirmed cases in NZ and 2 not related to travel I do not feel safe to go to the gym, despite going to a high spec gym which has made significant H&S changes in response to the virus.

Im having difficulty working out a satisfying exercise regimen.

What sort of things are other people doing?

Im looking up exercise equipment to buy online as currently I have nothing. What things have people found useful? Im thinking probably some good dumbbells is number one for resistance training. Then number two maybe a barbell and some weights.

HalfCent

Re: Exercise and Covid19

Post by HalfCent »

x
Last edited by HalfCent on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

We both worked part-time at the YMCA up until last week when they closed it. We just got word that it will be closed until June 30th.

For travel we have a poor-man's TRX. Here is a DIY version
https://youtu.be/IAmnLlwNloU

I used it this morning along with a pull up bar at the empty playground (disinfected before use). I also ran a few miles. We've been alternating a day of hard/longish run 10-12K, then a day of easy run/trx.

Mrs. Ego does the same but substitutes resistance bands for the TRX and does a modified yoga/crossfit workout in the empty apartment downstairs that she now calls her studio.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

No major difference for me. Only thing that changed is I stopped doing jiu jitsu and swimming.

I do a mix of calisthenics, kettlebells, running and olympic lifts (I have weights and kb at home). If you are able to pick up a kettlebell I recommend it. You can stay or become very fit without it, but the weights offer some nice variety and increased resistance.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Luckily we are allowed to go out for exercise in California for now.

I have a cross country ski machine that I’m putting many miles on.

Craigslist was full of old machines of all types up till recently. I haven’t checked and things change fast in this environment. I noticed there were a lot of cross country skiers because they were popular in the 1980s and now their owners are giving them up cheap.

I recommend the prison cell workouts. There are YouTube vids. I did one for a year many years ago and it was pretty strenuous. Lots of burpees, star jumps and pushups. They took away the weights in our local jails years ago and these routines got perfected.

I punch a sand bag to work out the stir crazy mind stuff. Just a 8”x8” denim pouch filled with beach sand tied to a beam in the garage. Helps me calm down.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I have been out of the job that made me acutely, miserably depressed and am now dull, stare-at-the-wall depressed. That seems to be how my brain is dealing with the covid disruption and with spenfing time at my parents. Haven't exercised. In addition to the classic no-energy-ot-motivation-to-move, there is something about living in close quarters with my parents that makes it feel like a bad idea. If I survive corona and move out, I'll look into it.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Best wishes guys. I’m focusing on core workouts these days.

One good place to start is the basic, glorious squat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclHkVaku9U

No deep squats are required, preventing injury is #1.

Watch this too for further reference:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlSklgtbHs

^^These guys are great.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

thrifty++ wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Has everyone on here stopped going to the gym?
I'm interested if people are still going. I do jiu-jitsu and I think some gyms are still open. To me we have a social responsibility know to socially distance ourselves and I'm definitely not going to the gym.

I haven't been doing much exercise but I will start exercising at home more. I have mats at home that I can roll on by myself and a pull up bar. That is enough for me to get a good workout. Plus I have a skipping rope which I reckon I'm too lazy to use. I'm also going to go on some walks. It's beautiful weather here at the moment.

take2

Post by take2 »

COVID-19 has ironically been very good for my personal health. With my commute cut out and generally working less hours I’ve been exercising everyday. My routine is:

25 burpees
150 abs
10 min kettlebell workout (16kg using a free app)
3-6 mile run

llorona

Post by llorona »

Gyms here have been closed since last week, and I stopped going about a week before that. On alternating days, I've been either walking or doing a combination of bodyweight exercises (squats, pushups, crunches, etc.) and stretching.

Gonna look up the prison cell workouts that Sclass recommended...

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I was training for an ultra marathon before things got a little crazy here in SoCal. I was running ~35-50 weekly miles but decided the increased calorie expenditure wasn't a great idea considering grocery stores have been a little sparse.

So I've changed my weekly routine to include a combination of kettle bell strength training, 6-12 miles of running, calisthenics and occasional walks with the DW. Exercise has been vital to both my physical and mental well-being. I suggest everyone partake in some degree of physical activity or exercise. Your mind and body will thank you.