Planning for Quarantine

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Planning for Quarantine

Post by Ego »

What are you doing to plan for being quarantined?

Ego

Re: Planning for Quarantine

Post by Ego »

I am hitting the library this afternoon to stock up on books.

I plan to get the one-month free trial of amazon prime for their video service.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

i am not doing this, but a piece of advice i remember from when reading accounts from wuhan - organize with people around you and find a volunteer who will be available in a chat group, get medications/grocery orders from people, pick them up and deliver them to doors (put in front of door, call/send text). this minimizes the number of people moving about.

another one: find how you can pay without cash. cash changes hands all the time and can be a vector if you are at community spread.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I am also hitting the library today and some last food items. The big one for me is water. Water is not provided so I have to go to the dispensary to fill. Everyone else does too, making it a perfect vector for transmission...I'm increasing my supply and filling up today.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Planning on isolating more and more over the next couple weeks even if there's no quarantine. Here are some things I've bought that might not be on a basic prep list.

- Sunscreen
- Several jars of salsa
- Mung beans (dried in order to make our own sprouts)
- Lots of frozen veggies instead of the standard prepper canned food advice (assuming the power's going to stay on)
- PaperbackSwap books on my Reminder list that I previously wasn't sure I'd have time to read
- Materials from the hardware store for any projects you can work on in the next few months

Also consider selling any stuff you've been wanting to get rid of sooner rather than later.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

go get your teeth checked. nothing like a sudden toothache/dental emergency you can't take care of

CS

Post by CS »

ertyu wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:36 pm
go get your teeth checked. nothing like a sudden toothache/dental emergency you can't take care of
I'd say it's much too late for that. Dentists offices are full of aerosols. Don't even think about it.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

How is this thread different from? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11232

Ego

Post by Ego »

Good point. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on making lemonade from the lemons of being cooped up for a long period. How to use this sudden wealth of time wisely. I wonder how many novels will come out of it. Someone just predicted an explosion of December babies.

I probably should have used that thread. Please feel free to lock

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I could eat out of my freezer and pantry for a few weeks, and on top of that I could loose a good bit of weight before my health would be compromised.

My main prepping activity right now is trying to lay in a supply of a couple prescriptions.

I'm an introvert by nature so for me being quarantined isn't too different than an extrovert being forced to go to parties. :) First thought is I'll probably play around with my guitar and guitar toys a lot. If it's late enough in the spring before we get into complete lockdown territory I'll probably get in the car and head up to my cabin to hide. Population density in that area is about 2/mi^2 IIRC.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Haha, yeah, in my case, I'll refer to the xkcd @jp posted a while ago:

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I finish work this month - unrelated to the virus - but it is handy.
Have a few projects to keep my busy and not much intention of going out much.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

Seems like the US authorities are opting for Social Darwinism and healthcare collapse. Doubt we see much in the way of quarantine. Tell your sick and/or elderly relatives that you love them.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

I also think having a consistent daily routine is very important. I'll probably be working from home soon so that'll help fill my time. Then I can finally get my house organized. :lol:

I'll also be optimizing my container garden and using the indoor exercise bike. And once the Internet goes down, my VHS collection will finally be vindicated. :lol:

CajunQueen

Post by CajunQueen »

I have a preschooler at home so I have made sure the TV antenna can pick up PBS kids at all times, stocked up on cheap supplies to make DIY sidewalk chalk, playdough, & bubble soap. I'm looking hard at a subscription to an online educational platform like ABC Mouse. Set up Skype for the grandparents.

I called about a community garden close by, the city is updating the park it is in and aren't renting any more plots. Since it is pretty deserted I may plant some starts in an abandoned raised garden bed anyway. Construction isn't due until late summer so I may have a few months. Used this opportunity to buy a pressure canner I've been wanting for a while. So if the garden produces, I will be putting up vegetables.

Located some books recommended by our forum members at a local Uni library so I will be (hopefully) getting those tomorrow. Checked stash of fabric, thread, and yarn. Will check paint supplies tomorrow too, this will be the perfect time to paint the 1970s wood paneling.

Overarching plan is to deep dive into introvert book/garden/DIY mama.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

https://vm.tiktok.com/p616D3/ neat contraption for safe touching of buttons

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Ha! That Babylon Bee article is the laugh I needed today.