COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
llorona

Re: COVID-19

Post by llorona »

Here in the Bay Area, it's quiet. Schools and universities are closing, and nearly all group events are being cancelled. For the first time that I can recall, several of my nonprofit clients have either suspended their programs or have asked their employees to work from home. Most of this is voluntary, not because of government mandates.

DH is out of work for the foreseeable futures because all conferences, concerts, etc. have been cancelled in SF. We'll be fine, but really have to wonder about the potential economic fallout among gig workers and hourly temp employees.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

That is so sad Seppia... unfortunately probably only the beginning.

I want to thank you for posting the information from Italy...we are estimated to being 14 days behind at the moment.

J_

Post by J_ »

Thanks all for reporting about this subject. It has put me very early on alert. So I had time to (for)see things how they would develop, and time to prepare in goods and in mental preparation. And they still do. As the diagram "delay in comparison to Lombardy" helps to forsee developments in countries like the Netherlands, Austria and the UK and perhaps in parts of the USA.
It would be helpful to work on some scenarios how the near future (in weeks or months) in diverse countries or (federal) states would possible to develop. Will/Can some of us react?

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Will wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 am
Can someone please explain to me why people are hoarding toilet paper? Seems like it's the most easily replaceable product I can think of, especially while staying home in quarantine.
The TP thing turned into a self fulfilling bubble. It started with news of Hong Kong panic TP buying. So then people here started to panic buy TP, which created a real TP shortage and then no one could buy TP.

Sure having some extra TP isn't a bad idea but it's become so far beyond that. :lol:

C40

Post by C40 »

Just like after 9-11 attacks. Some folks declared it would cause a gas shortage. Then a bunch of folks went out to buy gas that day around noon I think. Then people heard there is a run on gas. Then a lot more people rushed out to buy gas. My college dorm room mate did so. I was saying "no, don't worry, there won't be a shortage. And you don't even need more gas. You walk to class!". He went and waited in line at a gas station. There was no shortage other than maybe for one day caused by folks that rushed out.

In the U.S., when something bad happens, one of the things running through people's heads is "don't just stand there, do something". In some cases, that's great. In others, they should be thinking "don't do something, just stand there". (Or, just relax/think/?)

I think I'll never forget when a member of one my teams at work - an engineer at the factory said while discussing some problem "ok we need to remember here that 'doing nothing' is always an option we should consider'". I've made "doing nothing" into one of my life strategies.

Ego

Post by Ego »

We should start one with lentils. Arrive before Costco opens and ask everyone in line where the lentils are located. Scream COMPLETE PROTEIN!!! when they open the door. Run around like a crazy person with a cart full of lentils. Post pictures of the bean shelves with an empty lentil section. Volunteer to be interviewed with plastic bags on head, hands and feet carrying a 50lb bag of lentils. Viral marketing.
Last edited by Ego on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

All schools and preschools are closed down in Bavaria for the next 5 weeks - 3 weeks of regular school plus 2 weeks Easter holidays.
Other federal states of Germany will follow soon probably, or have already (education is managed on federal level, not state wide).

Jason

Post by Jason »

9/11 was quick strike. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom (I think that's enough booms). This Corona is taking its time, creeping around the atmosphere picking off old ladies and movie stars and wives of world leaders. It's like The Fog or some shit. People locking their doors worried its going to crawl up their assholes and leave through their panicked pie holes. No control. No visibility. It's just fucking out there. And its fucking my shit up. Of all people, Bernie Sanders equated it to World War II and its aftermath. And Trump forgot, although I doubt he ever heard it, the saying that great leaders are made not born. I can't recall a person who looks so uncomfortable with the basic activity of reading. They should have told him "think about pissing on a Russian prostitute when looking into the camera." It would saved a few thousand on the Dow. That was an emperor has no clothes moment if ever there was one. I think he could have lost the election right there. It was finally time for Stephen Miller to cut and paste some historical presidential speeches and have Trump make his Gettysburg address. Instead we got a pamphlet on a new residential development. Anyway, my condolences to anyone who has this has personally impacted but for the love of my fucking retirement would someone please find a cure and proceed to stick a flu shot into the world's collective left butt cheek.

sky

Post by sky »

If you get covid once, are you then immune to the virus?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

sky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am
If you get covid once, are you then immune to the virus?
Still an open question.

George the original one

Will wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 am
Can someone please explain to me why people are hoarding toilet paper?
No, there won't be a shortage of TP, but how are you going to get more when you're in quarantine? And, if you're on the early side of being quarantined, how do you get more TP when the stores are closed because they have no personnel to open the store because peak quarantine happened while you were in quarantine?

So you effectively need at least 4 weeks supply on the day that you initially go into quarantine... but you're not quarantined yet, so how much more do you need in the meantime? Current USA estimate for peak virus suggests it occurs in late May or early June, so you maybe want around a 3 month supply if you think you're going to avoid all shopping during this outbreak.

George the original one

Oregon governor has closed schools beginning Monday for two weeks. Essentially extending the spring break by a week. Apparently there have been staff shortages this week, which either indicates a fear in employees or a massive outbreak is about to begin.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

@Ego - I support this plan. :lol: Let the lentil bubble commence!

Also I need all of your opinions. So like I said, I'm probably going to get a job offer soon that's a big raise and a promotion over my current role. But I'm concerned about quitting my current job and switching in the middle of this outbreak. Onboarding to a new team during a pandemic is problematic at best. The hiring manager said I could work from home during the outbreak, but so has my current manager. I'm worried about quitting my current role and then finding out the new company has gone on a budget lockdown due to the economic pressure, thus finding myself unemployed. Am I being paranoid here?

George the original one

flying_pan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:22 pm
I am in Lane County and I am surprised that we have 0 cases.
There could very well be cases, just that they're staying home and not calling the doctor yet, so not on the official radar. Current status of Oregon cases indicate 50% are hospitalized, yet we know that number should be around only 20%, so we're missing 3 cases for every 2 cases officially reported.

Hmm, okay, that's a little scary!

naturelover

Post by naturelover »

I'm really getting irritated by the panic buying. Two weeks ago nobody was even talking about this. They all looked at me very strangely when I cancelled my airplane tickets for the next few months. Costco and Aldi were a shitshow. People cutting others off, hoarding toilet paper (I seriously don't understand that one) and freaking out. I'm concerned myself don't get me wrong. But people stealing PPE from the hospital my wife works at is too much, and selfish.

Our jobs are relatively stable, but I'm considering beefing up the cash fund. I have ~6 months of expenses, but I might cut back on investing a bit so I can feel better. The plan is still to max the Roth and 401k's this year. What do you all think? I work from home but exposure is high due to living with a health care worker. We have the means to both max both those accounts - just thinking of putting the excess into cash vs. after tax account. However, I could take advantage of this and buy extra shares.

@seppia - so sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there.

Jason

Post by Jason »

The Brazilian President has tested positive. Trump will soon tweet that "I hear President Virus has a very weak immune system. Weaker than that overrated Tom Hanks and his ugly wife."

Ego

Post by Ego »

Starting to see terror here among those with incomes reliant on tourism and conventions. Not an insignificant number of people. Real terror. They see themselves as people who have followed all the rules, been responsible, contributed to IRAs and are now envisioning homelessness if they can't get fast access to their retirement accounts. I envision some crazy laws/emergency orders to come out of this.

Roth conversion jubilee anyone. Tenant protections and eviction freezes. Mortgage foreclosure moratoriums.

@AE, It is hard to give advice. Does either company stand to benefit from the crisis? Does either have a stronger foundation? Funding? A history of layoffs?

George the original one

Ego wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:31 am
Roth conversion jubilee anyone.
Oh, crap! I haven't done my Roth conversion for this year (the last time I get to do so) and I need enough to meet the Obamacare income. I see I still have enough... barely.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Jason wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:25 am
The Brazilian President has tested positive. Trump will soon tweet that "I hear President Virus has a very weak immune system. Weaker than that overrated Tom Hanks and his ugly wife."
the second test was negative, so he says

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

2 in my city.

Nationwide:
Epidemic Act of 1897 invoked.
Sanitizer and masks included in Essential Commodities Act.
Tourist visas were suspended yesterday. All visas except diplomatic suspended until 14th April at port of departure.
Any incoming travellers may be quarantined for 14 days.

I haven't encountered denial although awareness is high mainly due to social media which is also spreading rumours. Joking is being used as a coping mechanism. There is a gap between knowing what's it all about and actually being able to do something about it. If it takes hold there's seems to me to be an underlying understanding that we'd essentially be f-ed.
Things in our favour: 80% of population under 35 years.
Things going against us: poor public hygiene, inadequate healthcare, public transport that is always over capacity. Quarantine is not going to work here.