COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
JL13

Re: COVID-19

Post by JL13 »

I"m confused about the timeframe. I think Phase 3 trials require a 2 year period by the FDA? So if they start today then that's July 2022. Yet the news outlets are repeatedly saying a vaccine could be available in winter or early 2021? How does that work?

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

It works like this:

S&P 500 futures are down in overnight training.

Report comes thru from major news wire of vaccine hopes.

S&P 500 futures trading in the green by market open on vaccine hopes.

Oligarchs sell stocks.

Thinking of starting Mister Imperceptible LLC, a new crypto-biotech hedge fund that seeks to tokenize the cure for common cold. Opening soon for new investors.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:57 am
If this were Twitter I would like this post.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:01 pm
If this were Twitter I would like this post.
Fortunately it isn’t.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

COVID-19 Deaths

USA passed up France in per capita deaths this morning when we crossed 148,011
That puts the USA as 10th worst in the world. The only reason we're not 8th worst is that Chile & Peru passed us up in the past two weeks.

But, wait, if don't bother counting the tiny city-states of San Marino and Andorra, we're 8th worst.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

One more thing to add... at the current weekly death rate, exceeding Italy & Spain's COVID-19 per capita death rate appears possible by the end of September. Yes, did you ever think we'd be saying the USA has a worse per capita death rate than Italy?!?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

George the original one wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 pm
Yes, did you ever think we'd be saying the USA has a worse per capita death rate than Italy?!?
Yes, https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf?ua=1

The USA's healthcare system is ranked 37th according to this whitepaper. Italy is #2.

chenda

Post by chenda »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 am
Yes, https://www.who.int/healthinfo/paper30.pdf?ua=1

The USA's healthcare system is ranked 37th according to this whitepaper. Italy is #2.
I doubt though that in itself is having a big impact on Corona outcomes, at least within first world societies. Afaik the US is providing free Corona care to its citizens

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Doesn’t surprise me at all. U.S. population is very unhealthy compared to the Italians.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Peanut wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am
Doesn’t surprise me at all. U.S. population is very unhealthy compared to the Italians.
I'm not necessarily on board with the proposed solutions--e.g., my experience as a lawyer who works with restaurant clients in the U.S. is that mandating calorie disclosures, etc., just means I make more money interpreting government regulations, creating larger barriers of entry, etc.--BUT, I absolutely LOVE the identification of the (or a) problem by Boris Johnson here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/uk/boris ... index.html. If only our government leaders would use their bully pulpits and use COVID as an excuse to encourage "my fellow Americans" to do their civic duty and quit eating so much shit. Wear a mask? Sure. Stay at home as much as possible? Ok. But how about, also, put down the fried food, get off your ass, and go for a walk in the sunshine? Do it for 'Merica damnit!

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Hristo Botev Can BMI impact health insurance premiums, or is too invisible or marginal to incentivise weight loss ?

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

chenda wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 am
@Hristo Botev Can BMI impact health insurance premiums, or is too invisible or marginal to incentivise weight loss ?
That's a really interesting question that I know nothing about, and I suspect is REALLY complicated, but I would love to hear from those who know more. My own anecdotal experience is, as I recall, I've never been required to get a physical or anything of the sort in connection with setting my health insurance premium. Frankly, I really have no idea how insurance premiums are set. I definitely DID have to get a physical/blood work to find out what my monthly payment would be for my term life insurance policy--and the higher your BMI, etc., the higher your payment is.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

chenda wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am
Afaik the US is providing free Corona care to its citizens
Source? I remember hearing conflicting anecdotal evidence of man right before being vented (he later died), “Who is going to pay for this?”

Maybe it was more in the “be held accountable” sense of the word, and not referring to financial obligations.

And recent article implying testing is paid for, treatment is not:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincin ... 5513902002

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

US testing is free. This was part of one of the early acts signed into law.

Some insurance companies and some states(?) cover all treatment expenses.

Otherwise a COVID hospital trip is billed at ~$20-30,000 rising to $75,000+ if going on a ventilator.

CS

Post by CS »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 am
I definitely DID have to get a physical/blood work to find out what my monthly payment would be for my term life insurance policy--and the higher your BMI, etc., the higher your payment is.
Our tester had a "calibrated" scale that was 10 lbs off, i.e. showed a weight lighter than it really was - which benefited most people. As someone with a real BMI of 18.5-19, it put me in the anorexic category, which I certainly am not! (Not all of my physicians scales could have been that far off.) The insurance was so expensive that we skipped it. Luckily that turned out to be a good decision in the long run.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

CS wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm
Our tester had a "calibrated" scale that was 10 lbs off, i.e. showed a weight lighter than it really was.
I need to get one of those scales for personal use.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

One of my employers once did a health screening. If you passed, you got $300. They tested BMI, cholesterol, blood pressure, and presence of nicotine. My guess is the insurance company offered the company a discount if they did this since policies are negotiated on a per-company basis.

I had many coworkers in their late 20s/early 30s fail the test, largely due to high blood pressure and nicotine.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:09 pm
One of my employers once did a health screening. If you passed, you got $300. They tested BMI, cholesterol, blood pressure, and presence of nicotine. My guess is the insurance company offered the company a discount if they did this since policies are negotiated on a per-company basis.

I had many coworkers in their late 20s/early 30s fail the test, largely due to high blood pressure and nicotine.
My old firm was self-insured and so always did health/wellness incentive programs; DW's employer does that as well. I think that's great. But do/can we charge higher premiums on an individual basis for folks who are in higher risk pools? Is there some sort federal law that prohibits that kind of thing?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Meta-study: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 9/fulltext

Eye protection reduces the infection rate by a factor ~3 (from 16% to 5%).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEXKR4C/ works well with cloth masks but even after removing the foam, the nose bridge interferes with my respirator. I'm thus stuck with leaving a gap or using my shooting glasses where the nose bridge can be removed for better coverage. Not sure what the ideal solution here is ... maybe more DIY finagling is in order.

Note that the 3M is sold with various lenses like clear (linked), smoke, mirror, ...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We are flying back from SD on a smaller jet, and we were informed that masks with valves/vents or basically anything that looked like a respirator or construction mask was prohibited on board. We were told similar rules with an upcoming hospital visit for my son.

Just FYI in case this is a new trend. People might need to keep a standard-issue face mask with them in case they run into this.