COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
George the original one

Re: COVID-19

Post by George the original one »

thrifty++ wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:14 pm
However there is still no confirmation that all NZers coming in at the border will be quarantined. FFS everyone wants it, the epidemiologist advice is saying to do it and the govt has given no reason for the failure to do so.
Logistics? After all, it takes manpower to ensure no one is slipping out of their quarantine and the quarantinees need someplace to reside. Maybe a combination of quarantine and testing to shorten the quarantine.

Negotiating with favored trading partners? You don't want to appear Trumpish at this point by acting unilaterally.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@GTOO - yeah that's probably one point is the man power. The space will be easy. Bucket loads of empty hotels to fill and staff to use. Be good for business. But probably more the police. Frustrating they haven't said that though or any reason.

Not sure about the trading partners one. Its only NZ citizens allowed in now. Its all the returning NZers

Ego

Post by Ego »

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science ... ions-about
A team from Fudan University analysed blood samples from 175 patients discharged from the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Centre and found that nearly a third had unexpectedly low levels of antibodies. In some cases, antibodies could not be detected at all.
Big problem.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Re walks, we're not leaving the house unless necessary. Neighbour and us are taking turns buying fresh produce.
10 mins walk to the east, 3 members of the same family were hospitalized. Niece had returned from Dubai in the first week of March. 3 more later, 1 family member, 2 neighbours.
15 mins south on my path to the long distance bus stop a tea vendor tested positive yesterday. The police frequent there.
App has been launched that gets to know your location via Bluetooth & wifi and lets you know if you've had come in contact with someone compromised or have been to a place where they've been and what to do next.
Kerala has started walk in to get tested.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

foreigners i know working in china say antibody blood tests administered through employers, results to be reported to local CDCs. I assume same applies to the 50k Wuhan residents leaving the city to return to work elsewhere in the country. China has taken the tightened surveillance route to managing this. most people outside of china imo underestimate how effective china will be at managing this because they underestimate how tight the state surveillance is.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Re, let the immune reopen economy, 51 survivors in SK test positive after being discharged for testing negative.
Not wearing a mask now an arrestable offense in my city.
Last edited by fiby41 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

My sister's stepson's stepdad died of Covid 19 in New York city yesterday.

He was 55 yrs,no underlying conditions except a stressful job in finance that he hated.

It was his birthday yesterday the day that he died.
Looks like he caught it from his 94 year old mom who died just a week before him.

Seemingly he had pneumonia for a week before he died and left it too late...when he finally went to hospital they put him on a respirator for a day and then he died.

Why he didn't go to the hospital earlier is so weird..are people in New York delaying going to hospitals even if really sick???

My sister didn't really know him but said that it was very sad as he was hoping to move to Carolina to a less stressful life.

He was just one of the 731 who died in New York of Covid 19 yesterday.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

1taskaday wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:25 am
Why he didn't go to the hospital earlier is so weird..are people in New York delaying going to hospitals even if really sick???
It's not just the US. There's a podcast from an NHS doctor working in one of London's hospitals that my wife listens to. He said that people now come to the hospital late with everything, i.e. people who broke something or had hearth attack/stroke leave it for hours/until the next day hoping they get better because they don't want to overwhelm the HNS. Obviously they are in way worse shape when they finally show up in the hospital. Another unintended consequence.

Saltation

Post by Saltation »

Our hospitals are not yet over capacity in our region but I had to go to the hospital yesterday. 31 years old, non smoker, regular exerciser (2000+ miles on bike each year, plus free weight exercising 3 times a week) but a hereditary high blood pressure issue (treated). I was splitting wood yesterday and I developed harsh acid reflux, stomach churned, cold chill came over my entire body and was a little faint of breath. Went inside and took my blood pressure: 188/96 (this is with a medication after resting). Needless to say given the variety of symptoms I went to the ER because urgent care will not accept me as a patient with these symptoms. At the hospital I was tested at 190/100. I was in the ER for 3 hours and multiple EKG's and blood samples later determined everything is fine. Doctor chalked it up to a potential viral condition that ran it's course quickly. It took more than two hours at the ER for my blood pressure to go below 150/80. I did not want to go to the hospital because I do not want to potentially be around this virus and if the elderly or someone else need services we don't want to be filling up beds.

If someone like myself were to catch COVID-19 I personally think I would be fine but so do most of us. However the intention of this post is to remind everyone to stay home or if you go outside stay away from people. The research coming out indicates that there is a very low death rate for people in my age group but not for my underlying medical condition. Spreading this around can have serious implications for those of us that are working to maintain our health but complicated situations.

CS

Post by CS »

@1taskaday
Sorry to hear about your sister's stepdad. That is horrible.

@fiby41
Yes, China found a good amount had low or no detectable antibodies after getting over it, which leaves the question of 1. what immune process helped them and 2. can they get it again.

@thrifty++
Hawaii is shipping back people who don't have a provable quarantine location. They are warning people to not even come because they won't make it out of the airport. These are US citizens but from other states, so I don't know how that would translate to returning NZ residents. Some people just won't take precautions. It sounds like jail and/or fines are the only way to deal with them. There will always be some... sigh.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Will

Post by Will »

Wow! Maybe some very positive things can result from this virus much quicker than expected: a feeling of empowerment that we can truly tackle the world's climate and pollution crisis if we want to. Reading this makes me hopeful for the future.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Some of the pics from around the globe are shocking (shockingly good). I wish people would make an effort to keep things this way but they won't, not unless a lot of people die or we're stuck inside for several more months.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Augustus wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:19 am
IIRC teams in Europe found antibody tests from some manufacturers in China to be accurate only 30% of the time. Antibody tests for covid don't seem to be mature yet.
At least some of them were tested in a lab and not by 'at home' anti-body test as the ones the UK found not working:
Huang said 10 of the patients in the study had an antibody presence so low it could not even be detected in the laboratory.

These patients experienced typical Covid-19 symptoms including fever, chill and a cough, but might have beaten back the virus with other parts of the immune system such as T-cells or cytokines.

How they did this was still unclear.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Bankai wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:52 am
At least some of them were tested in a lab and not by 'at home' anti-body test as the ones the UK found not working:
Exactly. These people showed symptoms, were hospitalized, recovered, were tested for antibodies and showed none. The innate immune system which is our first line of defense does not produce antibodies.

So, if this is happening with a statistically significant number of symptomatic patients, imagine how many people who were asymptomatic have simply fought it off with no engagement of their adaptive immune system and no antibodies produced.

Why is this important? Because it means that the antibody blood tests that everyone is demanding will be useless.

J_

Post by J_ »

International aid: 52 Dutch covid patients are flown to Germany for treatment in a hospital there.

Fish

Post by Fish »

I have been reading David Collum’s twitter feed since I didn’t want to wait until December to get his take on Covid-19. Lots of “I told you so” on stock buybacks, outrage over stimulus, and concern for loss of civil liberties in the long run.

Anyway, he is not feeling well and just got tested for C-19. Get well soon Dave. https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBCollum ... 9235206145

flying_pan

Post by flying_pan »

Took a drive for our cars (they were just sitting in a driveway for a month) to bring to working temperature, were driving with circulate air on (one benefit of having a station wagon, I guess – a lot of air inside). I live on the Oregon coast, saw TONS of cars on the highway. A lot of road construction, but the city center (there all the shopping happening) is pretty much closed. Still, some people were hanging out there, drinking coffee, etc. Not much, but some. All parks/recreation areas are closed with parking lots fenced, which is good!

I expected much more people walking/running around neigbourhoods, saw only 2 couples. On the other hand, this is rural USA, not a suburbia :D

Ego

Post by Ego »

A call to honesty in pandemic modeling

https://medium.com/@wpegden/a-call-to-h ... 156686a64b

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

They're trying to buy the medical community time to come up with a solution. I don't know why they just don't say that instead of the weird focus on ICU bed counts. It's similar to them telling people 'masks don't work' because they didn't have enough and then changing their tune and now telling everyone to wear a mask.

I'm not saying they're wrong to buy time any way they can, but the bullshitting is going to catch up to them. If they leveled with people, most would comply. Once people start to think they are being lied to, people will stop listening and it could make people even less trusting of health professionals than they were before the crisis.

I assume once there's a vaccine they'll want everyone to take it, but if people feel they've been misled multiple times during the pandemic they might be hesitant to believe claims that a vaccine is safe and effective.