COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
fiby41

Re: COVID-19

Post by fiby41 »

Metros closed. Article 144 invoked prohibiting assembly of more than 4 people in my state. International flights have been barred from landing.

There was an exodus of day labourers, skilled workers in the past week, going back to their own states by packed trains. At this point it's the 'high fliers' who pose a greater threat to public health than the 'illiterate masses.' Foreign returns breaching quarantine protocol and the police and vigilant citizens playing catch-up returning them to home isolation like kindergarten children who've lost their way.
The date until when you're supposed to stay home is stamped on the back of your palm, you can read it, how hard could it be?

President Kovind is quarantined as he came in contact with a member of parliament who partied with a wannabe actress who went to London on 3rd March and has tested positive. She has been charged with 4 counts by the police. Only silver lining is contact tracing seems to be working for now.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

NZ has moved to level 3 alert and goes to level 4 on Wednesday (Tuesday USA time). This will mean everything is closed except essential services. Police and NZ defence will be patrolling the streets to enforce compliance with requirements. Everyone is required to self isolate.

This decision came after discovering 102 cases now in NZ and 2 of them not traced to an external source.

NZ has also made any rent increases by landlords illegal.

Its difficult to say whether cases are increasing or its just the rate of testing increasing. NZ has been following an aggressive testing policy at about ten times the rate per capita of South Korea's testing regime.

I feel quite good about the changes. Historically NZ tends to be very nimble and makes law and policy change very quickly because its small. And because people in NZ are not scared of the govt. At worst people criticise it as "the nanny state" or "PC".

It feels like quick action is now being taken. I am just worried about the attitudes of some of the people flouting self isolation rules. But I am pleased its going to be controlled by police and military action now.

Hopefully it can be brought under control here. None of the 102 cases are in critical condition. At least NZ is well placed with its location to manage it and the govt is flush with money to inject into the economy.

It sucks that we are heading into winter here soon though. I don't know if there is any connection to the virus and cold weather but it just makes it feel much worse. It does make a practical difference in that we will be entering flu season simultaneously which adds to the risk and hospital usage. Im gutted my work has kicked me out before I got the flu jab. Kicked me out in terms of closing the office and I am working from home. But I dont think they are organising the flu shots anymore that we get each year. I wonder if there is any chance getting a flu jab privately. Not confident.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

Like Ego mentions critical infrastructure passes. My coworkers who are currently working at Fermi Nuclear have been given similar passes a couple days ago "incase of marshall law" so they can commute to the plant. I guess the tents and trailers are for the Plants critical personnel, operators, to stay on site if need be. A tradesman there for the outage actually tested positive monday-ish. All the fitters, boilermakers and millwrights on his crew were sent home to self quarantine for 2 weeks. They are now checking everyone's temperature at at the gate before going through security. Interesting times.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

The Johns Hopkins tracker took away the graph of cases outside China & recovered cases overlaid onto the confirmed cases graph. Also took away the ability to change the graph to log scale. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

As of yesterday the cases outside China were continuing to grow much much faster than recovered cases. Something like 3.4x more confirmed cases in the past week but only 1.4x recoveries. Since cases have been growing steadily about 3x per week for several weeks I would have expected recoveries to keep pace in growth though with numbers delayed a few weeks, so this lack of recoveries was concerning to me. Is the explanation that many countries are just not reporting recoveries like China was? That would be make sense and be a good reason to remove recoveries from the graph.

Edit I see now that recoveries are being reported, at least according to the tracker, for every country with >500 cases except USA, Canada, and Turkey.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Last edited by bostonimproper on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Change is happening fast.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/608560/

Taking advantage of this impulse, some are already going much farther. On Friday, the Hungarian government sent a bill to Parliament that will give dictatorial powers to the prime minister, Viktor Orbán, in the name of the “emergency.” For an indefinite period of time, he will be able to ignore whichever laws he wishes, without consulting legislators; elections and referenda are to be suspended. Breaking of quarantine will become a crime, punishable by a prison sentence. The spread of false information or other information that causes “disturbance” or “unrest” will also be a crime, also punishable by a prison sentence. It is unclear who will define false: The language is vague enough that it could include almost any criticism of the government’s public-health policy.

CS

Post by CS »

Prefer this tracker.
https://ncov2019.live

Edit: Cup of coffee bought.

Ego

Post by Ego »

It may be time to reconsider the details of Medical Advance Directives. Many here including me have expressed a desire to avoid extraordinary measures to sustain life. Some of us may have created Advance Directives stating that. Ventilation is considered an extraordinary measure.

Advance Directives by state
https://www.nhpco.org/patients-and-care ... -directive

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

theanimal wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm
@GTOO- Is that the first drop in growth for WA?
No. I think it's pretty much within the noise level.

George the original one

Lucky C wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:33 am
this lack of recoveries was concerning to me. Is the explanation that many countries are just not reporting recoveries like China was?
Remember that it takes at least a week for non-hospitalized recoveries and 2-3 weeks for hospitalized recoveries. Thus the USA, for instance, only has about 200 recoveries for the 40k cases.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Right but I wasn't taking issue with the recovery % rate, but the recovery growth rate. If case doubling rate has been constant e.g. 3x per week for the past several weeks, and recovery % rate stays constant over time, then recovery doubling rate should roughly match case doubling rate. That wasn't happening on the Johns Hopkins tracker but it's probably just a lack of good recovery reporting or an issue with just their tracker.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

I may be making this up(?!)(*), but I think a confirmed recovery takes two separate negative tests spaced some time apart. Since this is a lingering disease, I doubt a clinical diagnosis is enough(?) Given how a lot of countries are short on testing capacity, they may not want to spend them on updating their recovery numbers.

(*) I don't remember where I saw it.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

For those interested in the testing saga as pertains to the US.
TL;DR (my takeaway) Our bureaucracy face-planted a little.

https://thedispatch.com/p/timeline-the- ... latorsthat

CS

Post by CS »

I think China switched to three negatives to get out of the quarantine housing after finding some instances of negative then positive testing. Also cannot remember where saw that, but there were some really angry Chinese people posting videos about it and still being stuck in quarantine.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Lecture by Chief Medical Officer for England Prof Chris Whitty, the man in charge of the UK COVID-19 strategy: How to Control a Pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn55z95 ... 78008299b2

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

@jacob: Fauci said two negative tests 24 hours apart in his interview with Mark Zuckerberg: https://www.channel3000.com/i/faucimay- ... r-society/ (clip)
https://www.facebook.com/zuck/videos/li ... 294466031/ (full)

George the original one

George the original one wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 pm
Oregon Health Authority as of 8a Sun, Mar 22
- 161 Positives
- 2864 Negatives
- 3 Deaths

Cases by County
- 4 Benton (Corvallis) - Note two are actually in Washington state, though they're residents of Benton County.
- 12 Clackamas (Oregon City)
- 10 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 1 Grant (Canyon City)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Josephine (Grants Pass)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 4 Lane (Eugene)
- 19 Linn (Albany)
- 22 Marion (Salem)
- 19 Multnomah (Portland)
- 1 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 1 Union (La Grande)
- 55 Washington (Hillsboro)
- 6 Yamhill (McMinnville)

Cases by Age Group
- 4 17 or younger
- 4 18-24
- 13 25-34
- 49 35-54
- 91 55+

Hospitalized
- 43 Yes
- 88 No
- 21 Not provided
30 new cases. Added Hood River County.

Oregon Health Authority as of 8a Mon, Mar 23
- 191 Positives
- 3649 Negatives
- 5 Deaths

Cases by County
- 4 Benton (Corvallis) - Note two are actually in Washington state, though they're residents of Benton County.
- 14 Clackamas (Oregon City)
- 10 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 1 Grant (Canyon City)
- 1 Hood River (Hood River)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Josephine (Grants Pass)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 4 Lane (Eugene)
- 20 Linn (Albany)
- 30 Marion (Salem)
- 21 Multnomah (Portland)
- 3 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 1 Union (La Grande)
- 69 Washington (Hillsboro)
- 6 Yamhill (McMinnville)

Cases by Age Group
- 4 17 or younger
- 5 18-24
- 15 25-34
- 64 35-54
- 103 55+

Hospitalized
- 56 Yes
- 106 No
- 29 Not provided
Last edited by George the original one on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George the original one

So it looks like, because Oregon is still short on testing materials and judging by the hospitalization rate, that we're missing around half the cases out there. And that doesn't count pre-symptomatic people.

Will

Post by Will »

Ego

Post by Ego »

US Army plan to convert schools, dorms and hotel rooms into ICUs. Skip to 17:00

https://www.dvidshub.net/webcast/23526