Best CBD for a pet?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
sarger17

Best CBD for a pet?

Post by sarger17 »

Hi all,

Long story short, I rescued a German Shepherd a few years back (he was 3 at the time)- He was chained to a fence prior and neglected. Had bad mange, chronic yeast, and acute arthritis. Fast forward 4 years- He's been on medication since and his arthritis is getting much worse. He's been on medications that give him severe side effects (bloating and other issues) and I want to give him something more natural.

Has anyone here experienced with giving a dog CBD? For reference, he's about 110 pounds and is around 7-8 years old. I'm totally clueless on CBD and starting my research now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Re: Best CBD for a pet?

Post by Jason »

If I recall correctly, Shaggy just brought Scooby Do into the van when he smoked it and soon enough, that dog was solving mysteries like nobody's business.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Have you discussed this with a vet ?

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

I've never used cbd, but I know that when looking for supplements you should look to see if the manufacturer is GMP compliant.

Any antiinflammatories should help too. You could cut some aleve into the proper dose and hide it in a hotdog.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

No experience with CDB, so I can not advise you on that.

We've treated arthritis in our dog and horse with MSM, this is a sulphur supplement sold in drug stores. Look it up, if you don't know about it. There is plenty of information online.

We mix it in their food for a few weeks when symptoms show and see fast results with it. Its great for humans, too. I take it when my joints hurt from too much farm work.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:44 pm
I've never used cbd, but I know that when looking for supplements you should look to see if the manufacturer is GMP compliant.

Any antiinflammatories should help too. You could cut some aleve into the proper dose and hide it in a hotdog.
Aleve will kill a dog. They can't process it.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

OTCW wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:08 am
Aleve will kill a dog. They can't process it.
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, naproxen can cause side effects in some animals. Since the toxic level is very close to the therapeutic level in dogs and cats, it is rarely recommended in these species.
If given to dogs, the dose ranges from 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound (1 to 3 mg/kg) once daily. Most veterinarians prefer and recommend other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) that have proven to be safe and effective for dogs.
https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-l ... -for-dogs/

Close. You have to dose them right.

sarger17

Post by sarger17 »

Thank you all! Very helpful!