Health benefits of frugality

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
thrifty++

Health benefits of frugality

Post by thrifty++ » Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 pm

I often find that there are a multiplicity of benefits from frugality, not just increased wealth, but also things like better health and less environmental impact.

Health is often a big driver for me and sometimes the primary reason for my habits rather than saving money.

It seems to me now that the world is much wealthier that most of the modern illnesses relate to excessive consumption rather than under provision, save for a few small isolated parts of the world. Things like heart disease and diabetes from over-eating, high calorie consumption, eating takeaways, lots of meat and animal product, sugary high caloric processed food. Cancers from smoking cigarettes, excessive alcohol, eating certain meats, excessive sun exposure and sunbeds. Serious accidents form driving cars and/or drinking alcohol. Emphysema from smoking. Spinal problems and obesity from driving cars everywhere rather than walking or cycling. Obesity and diabetes from consuming pre-prepared food rather than exercising while gardening for fresh healthy food. Alcoholism and liver failure from excessive alcohol consumption. Problems and mental health problems from drug addiction. Serious STDS from frequent unprotected sex with many different casual sex partners. etc etc it goes on. So much seems related to over consumption. No longer things like malnourishment. Its the opposite now. Its overindulgence.

I think living light in this time of abundance puts you miles ahead in terms of health, longevity, energy levels and quality of life.

Any other things which people think frugality provides as a benefit?

unemployable

Re: Health benefits of frugality

Post by unemployable » Sun May 12, 2019 1:10 am

Reduced stress in general. Partially because you're not worrying about paying the bills, but also because you've stopped worrying about shit that doesn't matter.

Better sleep because you don't have all that stress, and you don't have to work as hard, or at all.

Fewer physical things you have to keep track of and therefore worry about.

If one's vision of frugality includes having fewer or no kids, that's several orders of magnitude of stress/time/energy you've jettisoned.

mustafayacoob

Post by mustafayacoob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 am

Health Benefits of frugality
  • Frugality Can Be Good for the Environment
  • Being Frugal Can Mean Less Stress
  • Not Caring Can Be Good for the Soul
  • You Have More Time for Things That Matter
  • Frugal Living Is Good for Humanity
  • Having the Ability to Give Generously
  • Retiring Early

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am

A recent conversations between me and my doctor.

Her: "Your chances of [croaking from a heart attack] are up to X%.

Me: "Well, at least my chances of dying of cancer are lower."

Her: "?"

Me: "They all add up to 100%"

I think I horrify her.

There are a lot of benefits to relatively strict frugality. For me the lowest $/calorie choices that are practical led to the above conversation. Some of us don't thrive as grain grazers.

So I give a +1 to what I think is the thrust of the OP: Frugality is best employed as an efficiency enhancement tool, but life should be optimized for other parameters. Health is a good one to include.

And so no one worries, 6 months subsequent to that conversation the opening line of the scene was:

Her: "Your chances of [croaking from a heart attack] are down to (X-6)%. That's about as good as it gets considering you're [an old male].

So now I'm less frugal and probably have upped my cancer risk because of all the extra time I'll have to contract it after I would have been dead from a heart attack.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Yeah, even if you take your food budget down to just $1/day, that still buys a lot of dollar store cookies. (sigh)