What is your favorite legume?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
sky

What is your favorite legume?

Post by sky »

What is your favorite legume? How do you cook it? What other food do you eat it with?

daylen

Re: What is your favorite legume?

Post by daylen »

I do not have a favorite, but right now I have a bucket of lentils, a bucket of pinto beans, and a bucket of red beans. I combine with some semi-random mix of rice, egg noodles, flax seeds, ground beef, chicken, pork, tuna, green beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, peas, brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli, jalapenos, habaneros, and/or ginger. For spices, I use cayenne pepper, pepper, salt, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, and/or thyme. To cook, I use a pressure cooker, a cast iron skillet, and/or a dutch oven.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Snow pea pods and green beans, steamed, maybe with a little grass-fed butter or a dash of salt. I also like most types of beans and peanuts, but they don't show up often in my diet.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Fresh green peas and black beans. I pretty much lived on frozen green peas, ramen and biscuits with jelly for a few months when very young and broke. I eat fresh peas with a little bit of butter, and I mash black beans with sauteed onion, sometimes peppers, and squeeze of lemon or lime.

My most hated legume is the peanut, because it has almost killed me on several occasions when it sneaked into a recipe unexpectedly. Lima beans are the nearest commonly eaten relative to the peanut, so they also give me a very slight reaction which makes them unpalatable. I substitute sunflower butter for peanut butter in recipes and on raisin toast.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I have black beans and pinto beans in 5 gallon buckets and kidney beans and brown lentils in smaller tupperware. In terms of usage, I use mostly black beans and lentils. I only use pinto beans for one recipe---and when I say that it means that one recipe dominates, not that I don't make other things---and that's done in the slow cooker with broth, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and a jumble of spices. The other ones are pressure cooked. The lentils are obviously used to make lentil soup. I make a somewhat more advanced version these days than the grad-school recipe posted on the blog. Black beans are used for tomato/chili as is kidney beans. I like kidney beans the best but they are harder to "get right". Black beans are also used for various stirfrys. For me it's the universal bean.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Obviously the official legume of ERE is the lentil.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Lentils. I think their texture and taste compliment ground beef especially well.

I always cook them by bringing them to a boil, then simmering for 20 mins, and turning off the heat and letting them sit for 20 mins. I make several days worth at the same time.

Pinto beans are good for burritos. I let them soak for a day then put them in the slow cooker for about 8 hours, then mush em up. They make me fart like a monster. I don't eat them often.

cheese

Post by cheese »

I don't cook with beans frequently but the two varieties I keep in my pantry are pinto beans and Great Northern beans. Pinto beans because I bought a 10 lb bag from a wholesale club on a whim a couple years ago (almost finished! only another year or two to go :lol:) and Great Northern beans because pinto beans by themselves can get kind of boring after a while. These get thrown into the slow cooker (50/50 blend) with onions, celery, carrots, diced peppers (green bell pepper, jalapeños, or whatever I have on hand), chicken and/or beef stock, and a bunch of spices (chili powder, thyme, dry mustard, ground/whole allspice, ground ginger, etc.). I add tomato paste and apple cider vinegar for the last 30 minutes. This recipe is incredibly flavorful and delicious (I was pleasantly surprised the first time I made it) so I'm typically happy with it as is but I've also eaten it over rice or topped with sour cream. Corn chips if I'm feeling particularly indulgent. Like everything else I eat, hot sauce is usually involved at some point.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Kidney beans, made in the slow cooker. ERE level 10. :twisted:

https://www.johnson.k-state.edu/health- ... ooker.html

My bean selection is mostly determined by what Aldi stocks - great northern, black, pinto. Great northern beans are the most consumed. My wife doesn't like black beans.

All cooked the same way:

1. Measure cup beans
2. Rinse and sort out rocks
3. Put unsoaked in slow cooker with 2.5-3c water (vary based on bean age) 1/2 tsp salt, ~1 tsp of random spice blend, 1/8 tsp of cayenne
4. Cook on high for 6-10h (vary based on bean age)
5. Cook with top off if beans done but still too wet

Cooking on high gets me a 30+ minutes boil eventually, so I will include kidney beans if I want. Aldi doesn't typically sell them though, so it's rare.

I don't bother with mixing vegetables in to the recipe. It's too much work. I'd rather eat them raw.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Canned, unsalted black beans.

I've tried different preparations of dried beans (pre-soaking, slow cooking, pressure cooking) and for whatever reason they always give me GI troubles. But canned beans do not.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Peanuts are easily the best legume, and I have a tough time choosing between Nutter Butter or Baby Ruth form. :D

Unfortunately I’ve also discovered legumes may not agree with my digestive system particularly well so I’ve been cutting back on my peanuts, beans, and lentils. It’s funny what you can be sensitive to when you pay close attention.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Probably mostly due to lack of any others in my diet peanuts are the top one for me.

Dave

Post by Dave »

It is a toss up between black beans and red lentils. The black beans get used plain or in a mix of dishes like tostadas or burritos, and the red lentils always get cooked into a dal fry with onions and Indian spices.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Haven't eaten lentils in a while to make a good comparison (which reminds me I should go pick some up...) but have eaten Pinto Beans for dinner for about 6 weeks now. Gotta go with pinto beans for now. I usually fry 2 pieces of bacon to get the fat out and I fry the beans in that while cooking 2 potatoes. Sometimes I add an egg on top. Mix it all together for a filling meal.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Chickpeas and lentils.
I like them mostly for their flexibility, can be used as flour to make some sort of focaccia (I think I posted the recipe for the chickpea one in the recipes thread), soups and great pasta sauces

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Yellow. Pressure cooker. Rice.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Red Beans (not kidney beans)
White Beans
Peanuts
Snow Pea Pods
Green Beans

Frita

Post by Frita »

Lentils: sloppy joes, taco filling, soup, plain, veggie burgers

Black beans pressure cooked with chiles, onion, garlic, and tomatoes with cilantro, citrus, and salt at the end: plain, refried, filling for tacos/enchiladas/burritos/gorditas/sopes, thinned for soup, Gallo pinto, veggie burgers

I like other legumes too but find those to be the most versatile. I am branching out with chickpeas; the verdict isn’t out yet.

What’s your favorite whole grain? I love plain fashioned rolled oats. I eat them daily, often a couple times, the same way. My family does not share my passion.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Pintos, white beans, and lentils. And peanuts, if they're a legume too.

I strongly lislike black beans. All y'all are crazy.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

My favourite legume is probably the peanut, which I eat in some form or other basically every day at the moment, because tasty. I also like to eat most beans and also peas. Kidney beans are good in chilli/soup/etc., and green beans or peas are good in the "meat and three veg" style meal, which my family eats a lot of. I haven't really properly tried lentils (shock horror :O ), and my least favourite legume is probably the chickpea, which I haven't been impressed by any time I've tried it.