Robert Kaplan’s More Than Medicine

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Frita

Robert Kaplan’s More Than Medicine

Post by Frita »

Has anyone read More Than Medicine by Robert Kaplan? This morning I heard about it on one of my favorite podcasts (link attached, segment is toward the end, as well as another to a USA Today oped).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/som ... 0431274490

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 726102002/

It confirms what I have concluded about the US’s healthcare business, that it is about shaking down the consumer based on fear with little health benefits.

Curious to know your thoughts...

Toska2

Re: Robert Kaplan’s More Than Medicine

Post by Toska2 »

Nice prepackaged top down solution in the article. No mention of the opioid or meth epidemics. No mention of our car culture. Nothing about a tight knit family/social bonds that might not be found in segments of the USA. Or the pervasive "winner takes all" belief that causes people not to try (get exercise).

I think health is more tenacity and persistance than wealth is. A body can only store so much "fitness". The effects are greatly delayed, the body can tolerate a lot of abuse, good or bad. With a little intelligence one can cook healthy meals and follow a routine.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@Toska2

I am curious if the book addresses the points you’ve brought up.

FRx

Post by FRx »

@Frita
I don't think it's good to consume mainstream information or news originating from the healthcare industry because it is such a financial conglomerate. When you tune out wide enough you'll see plenty of health media sources geared towards those like @Toska2 who believe that maintaining health is up to the consumer not healthcare.
As for the fear aspect, sure, I see that. No way to sell a drug for lowering cholesterol which can cause imminent liver failure in patient unless you scare the fucking pants off of that person about their high cholesterol.
But, to be fair, healthcare is a business and so is the drug manufacturer and they have to get the medication into your hands. If I as a doctor don't offer you the cholesterol medication (replace this with any other acute or chronic intervention) then I'm held liable. So I'm complicit in healthcare as a physician because my license is held by the medical boards which are staffed by physicians who hold board positions with pharmaceutical companies. If I want to practice medicine then I have to dance to their tune.
What I can do as a physician is tell my patient that they can control their own cholesterol through diet and exercise. Anecdotally this isn't well received by my patients because the average healthcare consumer has the false impression that medicine is advanced and that we can prevent diseases through technological (medication, surgeries, radiation, etc.) interventions.
For those who are open to the lifestyle intervention they want me to teach them how and that's just not possible in our current healthcare system where I have <10 minutes of face-time with the patient. They can simply enter "how to lower my cholesterol without medication" and filter out the websites which are selling them a tonic and read the ones which are in line with my basic outlines - lower intake of sugars, lower intake of animal products, less alcohol, more activity, less processed food.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@FRx

Do you like being a physician?!

No wonder when I go to the doctor, I feel like I am being told to get countless tests to identify preconditions and rushed through an assembly-line, boilerplate protocol. (I did have a terrific doctor in Tulsa, “retired” gal who opened up a small clinic. She took lots of time and was focused on holistic health.)

Now I better understand the pressures to conform to the healthcare business model. I was surprised that most of your patients prefer a a medical or medicinal solution over lifestyle choices. That explains a lot.

FRx

Post by FRx »

I love the practice of medicine but not being a physician.

Glad you found a great doc. Hope you'll find many more.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@FRx

Well said, I love teaching, just not being a teacher in a broken system.

When my DH retired early, we moved out of Tulsa to Wyoming. So far, I have tried three different doctors. All three weren’t a good fit. I suppose I will try again in another year. Until then, my focus is on maintaining/improving my health self-care.