Getting old sucks

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
1taskaday

Re: Getting old sucks

Post by 1taskaday » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Sclass,the way you took care of your mother would be a role model for any son/daughter to take care of their elderly parents.

Stop beating yourself up,we all do the best we can do at the time we do it.

Remember that and stop being so hard on yourself.

I believe things happen good or bad exactly the way their meant to happen.

There is such release in accepting that statement.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

J_ wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm
And please do not repeat the same "correlation is not causation" stuff before you have tried to be informed.
So, what are your scientific credentials to be saying this? Correlation /= Causation is about as fundamental as it gets.
J_ wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:05 pm
Otherwise you are repeating all the (most now dead) smokers who said that it was not proven that smoking leads to cancer.
It was well known that smoking leads to cancer. The general public's understating was delayed due to the massive public relations/propaganda campaign undertaken by the tobacco industry.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 am

Michael Pollan in his very interesting work, "In Defense of Food", writes a good deal about the danger of getting sucked too deep into the narrows of the modern reductionist tendency towards "nutritionism." Like you can remove food from nature and culture, break it down into smallest components, and then pin labels of "healthy" and "unhealthy" on these components and thereby find salvation.

The Native Americans in my region smoked tobacco and preserved their meat in maple syrup, yet they were not known to be significantly plagued with cancer or diabetes. It's almost impossible from modern perspective to try to explain why this was true without resorting to reductionist reasoning, so I might suggest that the fact that they ate a much wider variety of species than modern Americans and walked/canoed long distances on a regular basis might likely have something to do with it.

J_

Post by J_ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:00 pm

@7W thanks for the warning not to be sucked in. Yes, I write often about good nutrition (as part of a healthy lifestyle). It is because so many of the parents of my younger friends are suffering/dying from eating processed food. If they were more aware of the dangers of processed food and were more inclined to change their habit, they would not have to suffer so early or to die soo early. There is a lot of knowledge available of the advantages of non processed food, and I wish everyone (this forum included) that they may have a healthy life when they are getting old.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 pm

@J_:

Gotcha, and agree that there is a growing problem. General rule of thumb might be something like "Beware of overly efficient systems!"

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

Of course not agreed with by the wizards behind slicing and dicing mortgages into tranches into CMOs and CDOs. Cutters know only how to cut, I'm sure they are plying their trade in the economy somewhere. We'll see where it surfaces next.

mustafayacoob

Healthy Lifestyle

Post by mustafayacoob » Thu May 30, 2019 12:10 am

Everyone knows that if you took better care of your health you could feel better and increase your productivity. If you feel that you need to make improvements to your lifestyle for your health, you’re not alone. Taking time to reevaluate our lifestyles is part of life!
It’s very difficult to get out of old habits, a good healthy lifestyle can give you more energy, improved mental health, and can increase your chances of defeating the illness.
There are the most important five steps you can take to managing a healthier lifestyle:
1. Exercise
2. Include fruits and vegetable in your diet
3. Drink water more and more
4. Manage your mental health
5. Distress

ertyu

Post by ertyu » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:30 am

Getting old does suck.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:49 am

There are plenty of examples of people in advanced age maintaining good mental and physical health. I just watched a fairly recent interview with Charlie Munger - his succinct answers are pretty impressive for 95 years old. Definitely still sharp, even if the body is not what it used to be. However, I don't think he ever prioritised physical health much - it should be possible to maintain both to a high level (there are 100 years old still running long distances).

As for how to do it, it's the same advice as for general wellbeing - daily workouts, ideally not just cardio but strength as well; healthy diet, i.e. no junk/processed food and as little animal products as possible, consistent good sleep, stress management. And using your brain - learning new skills, languages - this is especially important for retirees. The last element, often forgotten, is having strong social bonds - partner, family, friends, the wider community, the feeling of being a part of something greater. Solitude, especially in front of the TV, is a highway to misery.

With all these, it's best to start early and make them lifelong habits.