Low energy

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Atlas

Low energy

Post by Atlas »

Hi,

So for about all my adulthood, I had a very low amount of physical energy.

I am not sure why. Most of the time, I feel like just sitting down, or staying in bed. I often lack energy for basic tasks like doing meals.

Yet, I am able to do sport daily. So, I am not sure I understand.

I often wake up tired and drowsy.

My work is mostly mental in front of a screen, so it has not been a problem. But perhaps work was the trouble, since it turned me into a couch potato? Even if I walk everywhere and I do sport, I am still a couch potato the rest of the day.

I am really not sure where to start. For now, I am going to reduce screen time to half a day max and see where it goes.

Any advice would be welcome.

prognastat

Re: Low energy

Post by prognastat »

My two main things would be work out more, though it sounds like you may already be doing.

The other is it also sounds like it could be a symptom of depression if chronic.

Finally are you getting 7-9 hours of sleep a day?
Last edited by prognastat on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Augustus wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am
As a last resort, you may want to check your thyroid and other things. If your hormones aren't regulated properly it can make you feel lethargic all the time.
+1, except I wouldn't classify it as a last resort. Ask your doctor to test your thyroid levels. It's a very simple blood test, and based on your struggle I would start there just to check it off the list.

I have some personal experience with this, and can testify that an underactive thyroid will really wipe you out not only physically but also mentally. It kills your motivation as well as your energy, and can even be a hormonal root cause of depression. The good news is that it's also very easy to treat.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Another +1 on thyroid check. And will add blood sugar check as well in case you're prediabetic which indicates a needed diet change.

And +1 on depression symptom.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I eat a diet mainly of veggies, nuts, fruits.
Food ( I eat veggies, peanut butter, eggs, milk, fruits)
In addition to daily martial arts, I walk everywhere. I do not own a car, do not take a taxi. My motto: if it takes less than an hour to walk, I go on foot, for sure. If it takes more, I might take the bus. I refuse to go in elevator, since stairs are free exercise. People offer me lifts, and I refuse them. Why? When I walk, I feel good, I can think about life and I feel healthier.
How many calories are you eating? How much protein/carb/fat? It looks like you get a lot of physical activity in your day; you might not be getting enough food.

Atlas

Post by Atlas »

First, a big thank to everyone who contributed!

Some information:

1) I have had depression in the past. Quite major. So, maybe there is a bit of that, but my thoughts don't feel that negative. i.e. I try to do lots of positive changes in my life. I have great friends, and I see people regularly. Some negative thoughts still linger. Perhaps I should try answering these thoughts rationally, and see what happens, this is a component I feel I could attack to solve this problem. Worse comes to worse, I will have answered rationally some negative thoughts and perhaps I will break negative thoughts patterns. This might not solve the lack of energy, but this will solve other things.

2) I do have sleeping problems. Sometimes quite major, other times less. They might be causing negative thoughts, or perhaps it is the other way around. I do not take drugs, coffee, medications, alcohol. I wear amber glasses and close my screens several hours before going to sleep.

3) I am back from an hour and a half of sport, and of an hour and a half of walking. I can do martial art for two hours without problems. I can fight for a full hour without much need for a pause. (I have found that I find three hours straight of martial art difficult, but so does everyone). So, perhaps there is a huge motivation component to this lack of energy. i.e. I enjoy martial arts tremendously.

4) I eat very well, and I do eat enough calories.

5) I had my thyroid checked at some point, because of the lack of energy, a few years ago. No problem there.