Dental placebo tip

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Peanut

Dental placebo tip

Post by Peanut »

Saw a couple posts about teeth so I thought I’d share my hot tip. Coconut pulling works. It’s just swishing with coconut oil for 15 minutes a day. I tried it a few months ago bc I was desperately grasping at straws.

I had just seen my dentist who wanted to do a bunch of sealants (basically fillings but not for cavities) on my teeth for some gum recession (thanks braces!). I had sensitivity but no other issues and he likes to make a buck in my experience so I resisted. I also think fillings tend to lead to cavities because they create new jointures as it were. I saw a periodontist bc it seemed like if the issue was gums a dentist wasn’t the right expert. This guy first says I was in the top 5% of who he sees (but he’s only seeing people with issues, so whatever) and if he were me he wouldn’t let anyone touch my teeth. I mention the sensitivity and of course one minute later he recommends two gum grafts! I’m more inclined to do this treatment but I also find it increasingly terrifying after a little online research so I postpone the surgery.

So I do the coconut thing for a few weeks, think my teeth do look whiter at least, get busy with life, ignore and don’t really notice the sensitivity after a while. 6 mos later I’m back at the dentist and the tech and my dentist both notice the gums look better and that the sensitivity has practically disappeared. “Somehow your teeth are cleaner,” my dentist also comments. I warily mention the coconut swishing and he confirms it works well for me. Recommends we prioritize just one sealant over the dozen he initially wanted to do but I’m putting that off again.

Who knows how long things will maintain but for now I’ve had a stay of dental work. Incidentally the nyt mag had a placebo article that was fascinating and I think can explain it all as well.

George the original one

Re: Dental placebo tip

Post by George the original one »

Interesting, had never heard of it. Note not to spit the oil down the sink as it will lead to clogs. https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling