Mental health: The lost art of concentration

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Mental health: The lost art of concentration

Post by jacob »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ital-world (*)

It includes a list of tips and tricks.

(*) ironically presented on an online forum after coming across it via an algorithm intended to distract

7Wannabe5

Re: Mental health: The lost art of concentration

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

People with ADHD or low-level cyclothymia suffer both from the tendency to be easily distracted and the tendency to hyper-focus. So, I would suggest that regulation may be more of an issue than stamina.

The danger of spending too much time at home is the tendency to zombie walk to the kitchen in search of something to eat whenever you hit a slow spot in whatever you are reading. Since it is generally wasteful to have inherent tendencies that serve no purpose, I think boredom, like thirst or pain, is trying to tell you that you are not diversifying your activities enough to meet the minimum daily requirements of your typical hunter-gatherer. So, you should stop trying to concentrate so hard on your arcane, abstract studies, and do something like:

1) Take a 2-5 mile hike and gather 10 items of value.
2) Make something from scratch.
3) Go visiting.
4) Art.
5) Get laid.

Not necessarily in that order.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

https://blog.rescuetime.com/work-life-b ... tudy-2019/

from other of their articles
As former Google Design Ethicist, Tristan Harris, explains: “The more choices technology gives us,  the more we assume our phone is always the most empowering and useful menu to pick from.” However, there is always another option we forget about: Not using our phone. Next time you reach for your phone take a second and ask if you really need it.
Well...

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

leecalvin

Post by leecalvin »

Mindfulness isn't just about "concentration" but can solve various issues, it's about slowing down and being present enough to make deliberate rather than mindless/automatic choices. It can help steer you away from not just bad choices, but bad habits. Other than that I think a quiet environment with less distractions makes concentrating much easier. That article has some other good ideas I never thought of before.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I just read Bored and Brilliant which address this topic.

Swerty

Post by Swerty »

And how as it? worth the read? 3.8 @goodreads isn't a very good rating...