Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
Seppia

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by Seppia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:16 pm

In today's society people don't like to pay too much attention, so it's obviously the lowest common denominator that gets the most attention.

I truly believe social media has had an incedibily negative net effect on humanity (see Scott Galloway), and trump/other populists across the planet have benefited immensely from their power.
It doesn't matter any more if something is true/applicable/lawful because all it matters is "will it generate coverage?"

Truth cannot win when spreading an inflammatory lie costs zero effort and little promotion while a deep and thoughtful study takes 1000x the time and generates 1/10th of the clicks.

Pair all this with the (imho absurd) American ideal that
regulation = bad by definition
And you have a recipe for disaster.

A friend of mine said "people have the government they deserve": current politicians across the planet are very telling of the overall health of society.

Sorry for the rant, I had a bad day :)

tonyedgecombe

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by tonyedgecombe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:42 am

Riggerjack wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:56 pm
Ignoring the news doesn't feel brilliant, but consuming it feels nauseating. I have never looked forward to a midterm election this much.
Meanwhile in the UK we have been having the same debate about the referendum every day for the last two years. I used to feel fairly engaged in politics but I just loathe the whole enterprise now.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:44 am

@ seppia,

Well, that's not quite where I was going, though I certainly recognize the frustration.

Trump gets credit for manipulation of the media, but I don't see it. He does the same blowhard act he's been doing since the 80's. If this changes, I haven't noticed. It's just the same BS. If our media is just as consistent in misrepresentation of how that relates to actions, that doesn't seem like manipulation. Or at least not by Trump.

Compare this to Eisenhower. Sometimes he was clear and concise, and other times, when he didn't want to answer, he was chopped, contradictory, and still portrayed the body language that he had been clear and concise. His press secretary years later related a story about a morning briefing. Mr President, they are going to ask about X. If you answer Y, they will say this bad thing. If you answer Z, they will say this bad thing. "Oh, don't worry. I'll just confuse them." And he did.

That seems like manipulation of the media. Brazen disregard of reality coupled to bold and contradictory claims, as the Cheeto does, just seems like politics. It's been years, and still we pretend this is a trump issue, rather than a media issue.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Trump and the press seem more like two chemical compounds reacting with each other than manipulation in the conscious sense that word evokes.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sat May 04, 2019 3:55 pm

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Mon May 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Remember "why can't we get immigrants from good countries"? Back at the time of the "shithole countries" quote? Yeah, turns out Trump isn't interested in the good countries either. He continues to push for limiting ALL immigration, not just eliminating illegal immigration.