Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
IlliniDave

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by IlliniDave » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:30 pm

George the original one wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm
He has already tried to circumvent due process and he will continue to do so. Look at the current case where he tried shutting down the legal way to seek asylum and is now railing against the judge who declared his action illegal.
That's an interesting case, because if someone is passing through other country(ies) that offer them asylum (which I believe Mexico has generally), then what immediate danger are they in that would substantiate an asylum claim to further enter the US from the third country? Sadly, a ruling from a federal district/circuit judge no longer impresses me on the surface as something that is consistent with federal law (disclaimer: I haven't read that decision and probably never will). It was a such a ruling against the Obama admin that created the current mess, and inadvertently led to both the trafficking of children and parents exposing their children to danger while breaking US law.

The frustrating thing is that it could be fixed relatively easily if the so-called leaders in our legislature were not so interested in replaying the 2016 election and more interested in doing what is right. This shouldn't be something that should be played out as a executive order vs select district/circuit courts game. Obama (aka the Deporter in Chief) was left in that predicament, and now Trump is stuck there too.

FIRE 2018

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by FIRE 2018 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 am

I wish it was that easy for leaders in Washington who we elected to Congress to do what's right. However most of if not all elected officials will support party lines if they want to seek reelection.

Campitor

Post by Campitor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Judge Tigar's ruling: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1je6-S5 ... 0MZ-m/view

It appears that his denial is based off US Immigration Law that requires that a 3rd country provide a fair system for asylum petitions. Judge Tigar said that since this 3rd country would most likely be Mexico, which in his opinion treats asylum seekers unfairly/violently, denies many asylum petitions ,and practices forced repatriation, it doesn't satisfy US legal requirements hence the restraining order barring Trump from deporting asylum seekers back to Mexico who have entered the US via Mexico.

Here is a PDF that stipulates why Mexico should not be considered a safe place for refugees: https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/sites/ ... ET_PDF.pdf

An excerpt from the PDF: As detailed in Human Rights First’s 2017 report and updated in a 2018 fact sheet, refugees and migrants face acute risks of kidnapping, disappearance, sexual assault, trafficking, and other grave harms in Mexico. Refugees in Mexico are targeted due to their inherent vulnerabilities as refugees but also on account of their race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other reasons. Certain groups—“including the LGBTQ community, people with indigenous heritage, and foreigners in general”—face consistent persecution in Mexico and are often forced to seek protection outside of the country. Gay men and transgender women, for example, flee discrimination, beatings, attacks, and a lack of protection by police in Mexico. Some refugees have been trafficked into forced labor, while women and girls have been trafficked to Mexico’s southern border where they have been exploited in bars and night clubs that cater to police, military, and other forces.

The rulings seems to be pretty strong and I don't see it being overturned because the law is pretty clear on the matter. Other human rights and international organization corroborate bad treatment of refugees in Mexico. Mexico sounds like a pretty bad place. Thank God we're screening those bad people out with strong border enforcement and stringent asylum reviews. :roll:

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 pm

I think Obama did something good to limit migrants coming to the USA illegally. The ridiculous and racist "Wet foot dry foot" policy. He stopped the program. It allowed Cubans to gain entry however if Haitians tried to enter the same way they were turned away.

Campitor

Post by Campitor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 pm

FIRE 2018 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:47 pm
I think Obama did something good to limit migrants coming to the USA illegally. The ridiculous and racist "Wet foot dry foot" policy. He stopped the program. It allowed Cubans to gain entry however if Haitians tried to enter the same way they were turned away.
Before the policy was ended but interdiction at sea was a high priority, I know a few Cubans who came in via the Mexican border. They told me that Mexico is the place to go to sneak into the US. Canada was too expensive to fly to and harder to get permission for. Ending the policy saved a lot of lives - too many people drowned at sea from over capacity boats or makeshift rafts.

But I have to applaud Alex Morales. The guy windsurfed from Cuba to the USA like a boss and was picked up by the Florida governor's boat returning from a fishing trip. Morales had to complete 18+ hours of windsurfing to get to the US. https://boards.co.uk/features/alex-mora ... urfer.html.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Campitor, I did not realize Mexico was so bad. It's a shame we leave the loopholes in the system that incentivize vulnerable ones to put themselves in so much danger. I knew the area adjacent to the US border was bad/controlled by cartels, guess I had a naive perception that the rest of Mexico was in good shape.

Campitor

Post by Campitor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 pm

@IlliniDave

Mexico is a Narco government. The Country is controlled by 5 cartels with specific territorial boundaries; each have their own style of justice and business/political rules. The entire Mexican government is so overrun by cartel cronies that you have police stations where cops never take of their masks for fear of cartel reprisals - you have different police departments working for rival cartels and sometimes they get into firefights with one another.

The cartels are so bold they have even attacked the Mexican military (https://www.cleveland.com/world/2010/04 ... an_ar.html). There are a lot of bad actors and many of them are setting up narco funded business in the USA as well as human trafficking rings. It so sad that our southern border is so porous and has become a political widget to toss about and to use for virtue signalling. And mexican cartels have even kidnapped US citizens on US soil: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexi ... feedType=R. None of this is secret and is widely known. I started reading up on Mexico's issues about 5 years ago when I stumbled upon a State Department warning about cartel kidnappings in US border states.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 pm

The flow of migrants and drugs go North to USA , the flow of guns and money profits go South to Mexico. It is a vicious cycle. With the exception of New Jersey I believe (only allowed to buy 1 firearm every 30 days) , one who passes the very easy background check in other states, the person can buy an unlimited amount of assault rifles, handguns, shotguns etc etc. It is a fact that the cartels even pay commissions for American citizens to buy and transport the items to Mexico. I saw when I went to the local gun range for target practice, many homeowners were buying assault rifles that have incredible stopping power.

Campitor

Post by Campitor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 pm

@ FIRE 2018

US citizens are funnelling illegal guns to Mexico but that only accounts for civilian caliber armaments. The likely source of the military grade weapons is the Mexican government and corrupt foreign officials which gets the munitions and arms from the US and other countries via legal channels. The military grade arms are then funnelled to the cartels by corrupt officials.

US military weaponry being used by drug cartels in Mexico

Narco News presents convincing evidence based on Wikileaks cables and their own investigations that seriously heavy weaponry used by the US military is finding its way, sometimes legally sometimes otherwise, to Mexico and the cartels. This is military-grade weaponry and is not available in gun stores. (That semi-auto AK you can buy in some US gun shores is comparatively, a pea shooter. Full auto AKs, while legal in some areas, are strictly controlled by the federal government and require a special license. They are also very expensive, like $15,000 vs. $100 in Somalia. Thus, they aren’t trafficked in the States.)

The State Department cables recently made public by WikiLeaks do seem to confirm that the U.S. government is very aware that much of the heavy firepower now in the hands of Mexican criminal organizations isn’t linked to mom-and-pop gun stores, but rather the result of blowback from U.S. arms-trading policies (both current and dating back to the Iran/Contra era) that put billions of dollars of deadly munitions into global trade stream annually.

Two U.S. Army Soldiers Allegedly Tried to Sell Stolen Weapons and Explosives to Mexican Drug Cartel

Former U.S. Army soldier Tyler J. Sumlin and Sergeant First Class Jason W. Jarvis were charged with eight felony counts after trying to sell multiple firearms, military grade equipment, and C-4 plastic explosives and detonators to undercover agents with Homeland Security Investigations, an investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security, in El Paso, Texas, according to a criminal complaint reviewed by Newsweek

Army Recruiter Slapped With 17 Years For Selling Guns To Mexican Drug Cartels

According to the federal indictment filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas in January 2016, the firearms trafficked by Prezas included a dozen N-PAP M70 rifles, a dozen PAP M92 PV pistols; four HG pistols manufactured by Serbian arms company Zavasta; four Anderson AR-15 lower receivers; and a dozen Del-Ton DTI-15 rifles.

The complex picture behind the military arms behind many violent crimes in Mexico (Charts)

In Mexico, military-style arms are frequently diverted and leaked from official arsenals. In some cases weapons are sent to the wrong customers altogether. For example, a recent high-profile case involved 9,000 firearms shipped illegally to Mexico by a German firm.

Honduran Military Supplied Weaponry to Cartels

...according to a 2008 U.S. diplomatic cable first obtained by WikiLeaks and recently released by McClatchy, the Honduran military has “lost” several U.S.-supplied military weapons in recent years.

The cable, available below, cites a Defense Intelligence Agency report entitled “Honduras: Military Weapons Fuel Black Arms Market,” which noted that the serial numbers on light anti-tank weapons recovered in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and San Andres Island, Colombia, matched the numbers on guns that had previously been sold to Honduras. In addition to the guns, U.S. authorities seized a number of M433 grenades from criminal groups in Mexico, which were also traced back to the Honduran army.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:37 pm

The more stranglehold experiences that the immigrants in the USA have to go through, the Dems registered voters are going to rise up and take back the White House in 2020.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:08 pm

Campitor, I did not realize Mexico was so bad.
No, it's worse.

We only deport to a few places on the Mexican border.

The local gangs know that there is a fresh crop of victims arriving every weekday. People who might have cash or valuables, because they came from the North. People who can be turned out. People with no local ties, people who can safely disappear. People who may have friends or relatives who would pay a ransom. People who only have a few ways out of town.

We call this Deportation. This is our current policy. We did this today, and plan to do it again tomorrow.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am

The 837 page regulation has been posted. It's my understanding that if it has not been challenged [in court] over the next 60 days, it goes into law. As far as I understand from my cursory reading of the summary, it has been toned down a lot and looks entirely more reasonable now that in its first reported versions.

Fox News reports: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... immigrants
Politico reports: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... ts-1413690
CNN reports: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/politics ... ic-charge/
WSJ reports: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-admi ... 1565618625
NYT reports: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/us/p ... olicy.html

I'm not entirely sure which government services to avoid. Hopefully, there will be a list published soon.

sky

Post by sky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 am

Will they extend this policy to green card renewals?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 pm

@sky - The way I'm reading it is that it just applies to status conversions, and since a greencard renewal doesn't change one's status as a legal permanent resident, I think not.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am

The voters in November 2020 presidential election will voice their support or non support in limiting immigrants into the USA. The guy in the White House pipe dream is selective wishing to have higher income and more educated immigrants come to the USA. It's going to be a hard sell since our country is so divided in very many issues. I'm still waiting for that border wall that Mexico will pay for as promised. 😄

CS

Post by CS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 am

I tried to read it for the main points and was shocked that hundreds and hundreds of pages of it were comments and response - seemingly most of it.

Ego

Post by Ego » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

The reverse brain drain is here. This is a website for long term green card holders who expected to stay in the US but now have decided to return to India and need help navigating the many hurdles.

https://backtoindia.com/

Got kids with US citizenship, no problem! Not sure whether to transfer your cash to rupees or what to do with your 401k? They've got answers.

This does not bode well for the US.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:51 pm

The White House seems to ignore what is written at the Statue of Liberty site.

" Give us your tired, your poor, huddled masses yearning to be free "

November 2020, the voters will not be silent.

CS

Post by CS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 pm

I personally know of one accomplished professor who went back to India this year to head up a film school.