Simple and Sinister Kettlebell Group

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Simple and Sinister Kettlebell Group

Post by jacob »

Ponderosa wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Warmup
10 sets of 10 reps 1 handed kettlebell swings
10 sets of 10 reps Turkish Get Ups (TGU)
Alright, that's fine ... but what do you do for the actual workout? ;-) :D

I sold off my 32kg's a few years ago so all I got left is one 24kg. However, I need some inspiration and competition motivates me, so if there's enough buy-in I'll reacquire a 32kg.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

jacob wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm
I sold off my 32kg's a few years ago so all I got left is one 24kg.
This is one of the benefits of still having a job is that they provide a great gym facility with all the equipment I could wish for right onsite where I can go on my lunch to also save time at a great price.

I'll have to build up somewhat of a home gym by finding good deals on some equipment before I finally FIRE.

This is my current workout regiment:

Monday(Back):
Exercise Sets Reps Notes
Pullups 5 20/15/12/10/10 Superset
Pushups 5 20 each Superset
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 4 12 each
Hammer Strength Row 4 12 each
One-Arm Row 4 12 each
Back Hyperextensions 4 25/20/15/15 Weighted If You Can
Plank 3 60 secs
Hanging Leg Raises 3 12
Side Plank 3 60 secs

Tuesday(Chest):
Exercise Sets Reps Notes
Bench Press 4 12-10-8-6 Go Up In Weight Each Set
Bench Press 4 4 Heavy Weight
Incline Bench Press 4 12
Hammer Strength Bench Press 4 15
Weighted Dips 4 10 Superset
Standing Cable Flys 4 12 Superset

Wednesday(Legs):
Exercise Sets Reps Notes
Leg Presses 1 Failure Strip Set
Leg Extensions 3 20 Superset
Leg Curls 3 20 Superset
Standing Calf Raise 3 20 Superset
Plank 3 60 secs
Hanging Leg Raises 3 12
Side Plank 3 60 secs

Thursday(Shoulders):
Exercise Sets Reps Notes
Military Press 7 10-8-6-5-4-3-3
Arnold Press 4 12
Barbell Shrugs 4 12
Lateral Raise 3 12 Superset
Front Raises 3 12 Superset
Rear Delt Flys 3 12 Superset

Friday(Arms):
Exercise Sets Reps Notes
Barbell Curl 3 10
Skull Crushers 3 10
Preacher Curls 3 10 Superset A
French Curls 3 10 Superset A
Hammer Curls 3 10 Superset B
Triceps Rope Pressdown 3 10 Superset B
Wrist Curls 3 20 Superset C
Reverse Wrist Curls 3 20 Superset C
Plank 3 60 secs
Hanging Leg Raises 3 12
Side Plank 3 60 secs

I add cardio as time permits, generally since Tuesday and Thursday are quicker I manage to get at least 30 minutes of cardio in on these days. The other days I manage to maybe get 15 minutes in on a good day. I do walk during my work breaks so thats about 30 minutes of vigorous walking Monday through Friday. I try to use free weights over machines whenever possible to lower my reliance on expensive equipment I wouldn't want to have to buy when no longer enjoying the work amenities.

The whole program takes me about 1.5 hours a day for those days. If I weren't already on a pretty serious regiment I would love to join the challenge, but I'm going to keep trucking.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is in.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

That is a lot of get ups - 300 a week! I wish you luck. I am not man enough to suffer through that sort of volume.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I would enjoy video where you know the execution to be correct. In addition, do you know if there is any danger in doing the move with a sandbag? Because i cannot get myself to buy a bulk of cast iron.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is more familiar with the American (CrossFit) style swing. those are more out of a squat than hip extension, and they go overhead. so a video with Pavel's style would be appreciated. brute has done TGUs before, but not a lot. he will probably do them with a barbell plate that has a grip, because he only owns a 24kg KB and that's a bit much for starting TGUs.

and yea, 100 TGUs in a workout sounds pretty advanced.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

10 get ups a workout is much more feasible.

In my experience, doing TGU with a kettlebell opens the chest and lats a little better, since the weight is behind your arm. When my forearms were feeling tender, I'd do them with dumbbells. It's not what I preferred, since I tend to be tight, but still a challenge.

I think you could do them with a lighter sandbag, but would want to make it more of a "from the ground up" style get up, where every step of the movement is an exercise in itself. And make sure the bag isn't leaking at all :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute thanks Ponderosa for the videos.

brute has done 5x10 with the 24kg to get warmed up again and it wasn't particularly challenging. getting twice that volume in under 5 minutes in - maybe more challenging. brute will see how it goes.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I got interested in kettlebells last winter but swings or goblet squats made my knees hurt. As far as I know there was nothing wrong with my knees and my form was OK. I did ramp up the weight relatively quickly and was doing more weight than you guys are talking about (I wasn't doing the same workout as you, 3 sets of 10, no particular program, just trying out a few kettlebell exercises between other things). For comparison, I can 3x10 back squat my body weight or more with no knee pain. Maybe I needed to ramp up more slowly? Any thoughts?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

yea, swings shouldn't hit the knees for Russian style swings. it's more of a hip hinge pull, the legs are barely involved.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

How far are you going down?
It's been awhile, but probably just above having thighs parallel with the floor. The size of the kb can make it impossible to get any lower as far as I can tell. I go lower if I squat with a bar.
Swings generally don't cause knee pain unless you are "squat-swinging" which probably would be hurting your lower back anyway.
yea, swings shouldn't hit the knees for Russian style swings. it's more of a hip hinge pull, the legs are barely involved.
I was definitely using my legs for the swings. Maybe that's why I could use a lot more weight too.

If I get interested again I will stay with lighter weight and make sure my form is good. I tried kettlebells because they were the only weights available to me at the time but my current gym has the usual freeweights so I have been using those and haven't been interested in the kettlebells.

I do like the simplicity of the kettlebells and that I could buy just a few of them and work out at home. If I get to the point where I no longer need a gym membership for other things I will consider them for that purpose. Thanks for your responses.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

is this happening? brute has been doing swings regularly (not TGUs) and has already markedly improved, although he still takes over 5 minutes to complete the 100 swings.

the kettlebell is interesting in how the bottleneck keeps moving despite tool (kettlebell) and volume (100 swings) staying the same, just by varying the intensity, rest periods, and set size.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has stopped because he was gaining too much fat doing the workouts. weight stable since stopping.

it is too bad, because it was really fun, and brute was making good improvements.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

no. no exercise before.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

How did you know you were gaining fat rather than muscle? Were you tracking body-fat?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

waist circumference, and clearly visible.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Strange, were you increasing your calories in order to put on muscle?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

no. brute's main goals were relieving a sore neck (that one worked out) and losing fat (that one didn't).