Baking Soda Toothpaste Alternatives

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
brookline

Baking Soda Toothpaste Alternatives

Post by brookline »

Hi,
I'm seeking alternatives to baking soda as a toothpaste. I'm not looking to switch to Crest or Tom's. Rather, I'm thinking of trying stuff like calcium carbonate or other out of the box options. Recommendations?

7Wannabe5

Re: Baking Soda Toothpaste Alternatives

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Maybe ground eggshells and mint leaves?

mferson

Post by mferson »

How about the food-grade, activated charcoal?

Chris

Post by Chris »

The Dirt uses fine bentonite clay. If you'd consider a drier paste, maybe find a supply of the stuff and create your own mix, sans baking soda?

Jason

Post by Jason »

I'm genuinely curious as to why people look for alternatives to tooth paste. Is it just savings?

The maintenance of my teeth is high priority. If I don't treat them with great care, I will incur great cost down the line. So to me its a health issue and it seems that over time, mankind has improved its health care in certain areas, dental being one of them. The alternatives mentioned seem like things you'd find in a Medieval apothecary and my understanding is that people from that time weren't exactly Tom Cruise when they cracked a smile.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Jason wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:56 am
I'm genuinely curious as to why people look for alternatives to tooth paste. Is it just savings?

The maintenance of my teeth is high priority. If I don't treat them with great care, I will incur great cost down the line. So to me its a health issue and it seems that over time, mankind has improved its health care in certain areas, dental being one of them. The alternatives mentioned seem like things you'd find in a Medieval apothecary and my understanding is that people from that time weren't exactly Tom Cruise when they cracked a smile.
I have allergies and/or sensitivities to the ingredients in Crest, Aim, etc. Baking soda has been great for me over the past couple years. However, it is starting to become an irritant (I think) to my cheek tissue and I want to try something else.

brookline

Post by brookline »

mferson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 am
Charcoal is interesting. However, might it stain my teeth?

brookline

Post by brookline »

Chris wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:51 am
The Dirt uses fine bentonite clay. If you'd consider a drier paste, maybe find a supply of the stuff and create your own mix, sans baking soda?
Thanks, this looks like a possibility. Have you tried the "Dirt"? How well does it work?

Jason

Post by Jason »

(@) Brookline

Sensodyne?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

brookline wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 pm
mferson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 am
Charcoal is interesting. However, might it stain my teeth?
I think activated charcoal is actually used to whiten teeth.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

brookline wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 pm
I have allergies and/or sensitivities to the ingredients in Crest, Aim, etc. Baking soda has been great for me over the past couple years. However, it is starting to become an irritant (I think) to my cheek tissue and I want to try something else.
I have bad sensitivities to some toothpaste brands too. I have found that the "Pepsodent" brand doesn't bother me though. Most stores don't seem to sell it anymore. The only place I can find it is at Family Dollar.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I have heard that toothpaste is not actually necessary for a healthy mouth. Apparently just the act of brushing for a sufficient length of time (2 minutes) is sufficient to disturb bacteria that cause tooth decay, etc.

https://www.dentalplans.com/dental-info ... e-my-teeth

https://michaelsinkindds.com/is-toothpaste-necessary/

https://www.dentalbuzz.com/2014/12/30/t ... than-good/

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't use anything on my toothbrush. My hygienist once recommended what she called "dry brushing" but of course it doesn't stay dry for long.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Thanks everybody!