Re: Bodyweight exercises

Post by chenda »

So I'm now on the following:

3 X 10 half press ups (knees on ground)
3 X 30 seconds planks
3 X 10 Bridges
3 X 10 squats
3 X 10 doorframe pulls

3 times a week...I was doing 4 times but I found I needed more muscle recovery. Some of the gains I initially thought I had have disappeared, though I think that may have been some kind of preliminary muscle swelling. Overall though I am getting stronger and feel better about my body than I have every felt, not that it looks very different but I am heading in the right direction and seeing achievable gains.

I do need to loose stomach weight though, as my hip to waist ratio is borderline unhealthy and I've been eating too much the past few weeks. I don't want to have exposed abs but just safely within a healthy ratio.

@whitebelt you're definitely right about those models, lots those women look unnaturally top-heavy.

seanconn256

Post by seanconn256 »

Just thought I would add this as a resource:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/

I've found it very useful, it includes a full body basic bodyweight routine, and progressions for a lot of common exercises.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Ok I'll join, my routine is as follows

first section
6xA Dips
6xA Grouped hands pushup
6xA open arm pushup
6xA Pull up
6xA one leged squat on each leg

second section
4xA jumps
120 sit-up (in 2 or three sets)
6xB hanging leg raise
3x15 triceps "curl" against a table

with A being a number that i raise and lower cyclicaly while introducing amplitude variation (for the first section), and B, a number that i raise until it reaches 20

today, A was 8, and B was 17, with a low amplitude around the midle point. I hope to reach 20 for A, and then I'll set A back to 3, and do full amplitude move.
2 to 4 times a week depending on how long the sets are.

It's based on a book called methode Lafay, which i recommend if one want to be able to follow an algorithm for ones programm without thinking to much.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@chenda, a shame that burpees are to complex as they seem to involve most of the muscles and be a pretty complete body movement. I have been doing them for more than 1.5 years and the effects are great.

In any case, I think that what @jacob wrote in the book about pacing exercise progression is just such a simple self regulating system that works so well. It goes roughly like this. Once you have an exercise / set of exercises, then you do this:

Set a goal of x repetitions of the exercise for each session
divide the exercises into x/n sets of repetitions where n is an arbitrary number of repetitions
do these sets in x/n arbitrary time intervals, start at the beginning of the time interval and then rest till the end of it
do it again at the start of the next interval
as time passes, when you get too comfortable, change the number of exercises in a set to n+1.
do it regularly every 2/3/4 days.

For example, this is how it went for me with burpees:
I set a goal of 200 burpees for each session
I divided the repetitions into 200/5=40 sets, 5 repetitions in each set
I set the time interval at 1min and did 5 repetitions, then rested until the end of the minute
I did it then again 39 more times
When I got too comfortable I changed the number of repetitions in a set from 5 to 6
I did it every second day

It is a clever self regulating mechanism because when you increase the number of exercises in a set, the resting time gets shorter too. So it becomes pretty high intensity pretty quickly, and also then takes little time.

Now I am in a bit of an exercise limbo but maintain my form that I gained from that system. The maintenance is just 20min/day.

chenda

Post by chenda »

seanconn256 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:07 pm
Just thought I would add this as a resource:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/

I've found it very useful, it includes a full body basic bodyweight routine, and progressions for a lot of common exercises.
Thanks that's a really useful blog.

@guiterplayer - you've lost me in all that algebra! I just gradually increase the number of repetitions, keep it simple.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

yup, simple is always preferable for me also. In practice that system is pretty simple, but now that I think about it since it can get pretty intense rather quickly, maybe it is better to keep it for later. But really, it only requires a timer and most importantly for me there is no need to write things down or refer to a source such as a book or the internet.

Anyway, good luck with getting fitter!

Jean

Post by Jean »

I found your system and explanations to be quite simple.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

It's described even better under 'High-intensity interval training' in the ERE book.

chenda

Post by chenda »

guitarplayer wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:11 am
Anyway, good luck with getting fitter!
Thanks you too :)