Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
Alphaville

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by Alphaville »

oh, the setup for that x3 band is $600

https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/products/x3-bar/

maybe some day, ha ha ha.

meanwhile yeah please hook me up on any info on bands. i’m new to this type of gear and i know nothing, so i’d be most grateful. i’ll go look for elite fts in the meantime.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Hey, if he can get $600 for a band system, good for him. Personally, I'd rather have each hand move freely.

I have found holding the bands directly becomes limiting. They tear up the skin or grip holds me back. I'll wear cotton gloves if holding them, but also make use of these handles for face pulls, rotator cuff work, triceps and curls:

I've been able to do seated leg curls at home with a low anchor and this attachment:

https://www.spud-inc-straps.com/hamstinger-deluxe.html

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm
brilliant, thanks. i have the semi-beginner version of all that, which i bought for rehab/covid

i’m quickly getting to the limit of their resistance so these things you’re sharing show me a path forward.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Here are the handles DW made out of webbing, a tri-slide buckle, and some existing handles (could also use PVC tubing). The rubber is blue theraband. This design mimics the replaceable band handles. Useful for when the rubber eventually wears out. I don't know if one can double/triple/... the rubber and still have it hold. She bought enough material to make a few more, but I'd guesstimate the total cost to be $7 for the blue rubber and $3 for the handle set.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@jacob

i think if the buckle is on the tube itself, it could be made to clip on the handles, with a clip attached, like the commercial versions, where the handle has a metal ring, that way 1 pair of handles holds any possible combination of tubes (the one i bought it advertised to go up to 440lb—would be a messy octopus at that point)

the versions i bought have snap control (an inner rope core) to prevent flinging of metallic ends onto eyeballs etc.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

If anyone wants webbing, rope, carabiners, etc. for free for making exercise gear you may be able to get it from a climber or caver if you know one. When things get older many people replace them just to be super safe.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm
Personally, I'd rather have each hand move freely.
i watched one of the guy’s videos and he explains/shows that the bar is there because free bands will tend to yank the wrists sideways and crush the cartilage, and by stabilizing the wrists with the bar you can work with heavier loads—or so he claims.

resistance bands are different than free weights in this regard—yes, the force vector of the weight may change direction relative to the joint with both kinds of equipment, but with bands the vector magnitude also increases, sometimes a lot, especially in full extension.

i do have a damaged wrist, so i’ll have to pay close attention to form, bar or no bar...

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 pm
Bands on sale now:

https://www.elitefts.com/shop/bands-1.html
you’re a prince. thanks so much.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I like running. I know that now because I've been doing it more or less consistently for a little over 10 years. Distances 5-42 km. I know realistically that even a plateau of results after the initial getting in shape phase is sort of an achievement (because ageing), but I still feel like some more progress would be satisfying.

So a few weeks ago I got started on a training schedule. A local former professional runner puts it together for me 4 weeks at a time based on the previous 4 weeks' results and data. Data is very easy to gather and present nowadays, so I don't even need to meet the guy. So far so good, I've enjoyed the variety and intensity. Here's what I'm questioning though.. if you have any thoughts or experience, please share.

1) Can there be a "wheaton level" type gap between a consultant and a trainee? As a specific example, if someone can do 10K in under 30 minutes, are his advice and methods relevant and applicable to the newbie whose realistic goal that would make him proud of himself is 43 minutes?
2) Structured training is very easy. Follow the plan, just go do it, no need to think for yourself. Will the structure and external motivation eventually take the fun out of being active and staying in good shape?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I forgot to post an update here but I finished the 10,000 swings about 2 weeks ago. My time steadily improved throughout and for the latter half I just did 10 sets of 50 reps. I was never able to do all 10 sets without taking a break. The closest I got was 7, otherwise I'd have to stop somewhere between 30-40. My working time was about 1:25 and I just tried to get my rest periods down. At the end I was trying to do 1:50 per set (includes rest period). The limiting factor was the forearms. I used the 60 lb kb for the whole process. I'm glad I did it. I dropped nearly 10 minutes in time. I feel stronger for it and stand taller, even with having good posture prior to this challenge. If anything, it seems to have inspired other people and I know of more than a handful of people that have started the same challenge as a result, including my gf. That's cool.

One of my friends who started afterwards was wondering how long it'd take to get to 500 consecutive swings. I was tempted by the idea for a little but haven't really pursued it in the past week. I found my max was 203 reps with the 60lb. I was able to do 500 consecutive with 35 lb pretty easily but I don't have anything in between the 2 weights to try out anything else. Maybe sometime in the future.

Anyways, here are my final numbers:

Day 1:27:32
2: 28:24
3: 25:22
4: 27:05
5: 22:42
6: 21:37
7: 20:05
8: 19:49
9: 20:39
10: Moose hunting. Completed but not timed. 1 working period of 200 and 1 of 300 broken up in sets of 50.
11: 19:34
12: 19:03
13: 19:27
14: 20:37
15: 18:50
16:18:49
17: 18:42
18: 18:16
19:18:32
20: 18:50

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

I'd suggest trying the density protocol again. If the goal is to 1x500, then the volume should be 1000 (always 2x the target). Always 1 minute per set but make them longer and fewer as you get better. If you can't complete the whole deal, use fewer reps per set until you can even it it takes an hour or more. Once you're down to ~10 sec breaks per set and completing the whole deal, you can attempt the 1x500 and expect a high probability of success.

(This is/was the recommended training method for clubbell sports. Similar to KBs (long cycle) it also has no breaks for putting the weight down allowed.)

Flurry

Post by Flurry »

As the current Covid lockdown keeps me from going to the gym, I started some bodyweight stuff to stay sane without access to barbells.

Every day I do 5 sets of

12 Chin Ups
15 Dips
50 Rope Jumps
30 Air Squats
20 Band Pull Aparts
10 Burpees
1 minute planks

I could do more reps but the last time trying to do 100 chin ups every day lead to overtraining so I won't do that this time.

These exercises are perfectly done while working, doing planks while being in conference calls with the webcam and microphone turned off for example. :D

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

sssssssso there was an article in the washington post the other day. some bar bouncer is looking for a pandemic workout. tries a bunch of stuff. settles on this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkLauren2

full article about the how and why etc: (paywall) https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html (but only if you’re curious)

i’ve tried some of the stuff and it’s good!