Commiting to a Year vs Flying Free

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
slowtraveler

Commiting to a Year vs Flying Free

Post by slowtraveler »

I am wanting to take language classes in my town and realizing there is a nice discount for signing up for a year of classes ($850), instead of 6 months ($550).

I have found a home in the area for ~$100/ month that I can move into once my current lease expires and I will take a trial class first. Visa extension runs add ~$100/ 3 months. Materials add ~$30 in costs.

I highly value freedom but I couldn't imagine leaving this country. I love it more than any other so far and I have been to around a dozen at this point. I really want to learn the language to better communicate with and understand the locals/culture.

If I decide to move, there are 2 other branches in the country I could go to, one by the beach and one in the big city.

My new home would be a 5-10 minute walk from my classes. Classes are twice a week for 2 hours and include speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

Does anyone have experience with committing for a longer period of time vs taking the lighter commitment and later paying a higher price but having more freedom?

I have had mixed results in the past with these decisions.

SavingWithBabies

Re: Commiting to a Year vs Flying Free

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Have you approached the school and tried to negotiate? Perhaps you could commit to 6 months and negotiate the option to add on the additional 6 months at say the 5 month mark at the discounted price. If they are resistant, perhaps you might offer to pay a small penalty if you don't decide to go forward. It might help to share what country as it seems like some cultures welcome negotiation and others do not (I personally don't know much about that but I would guess others here do).

You might also consider negotiating assisting in some way in exchange for lower or even free tuition if that is of interest to you.

taemoo

Post by taemoo »

I went abroad to learn a language for a year. Instead of a yearly financial commitment, I paid per quarter. It was more but it gave me more freedom. I ended up taking one of the quarters off so it worked out better for me.

But if I got a ~22% discount, I would probably go for the year. Especially if they can give special considerations for a longer visa. Is an education visa in play?

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Have you considered finding a more intensive language course? Like 15 or 20 hours/week. 4 hours/week will not take you very far very quickly and even after 12 months you will still be a beginner.

If you go full in, you will achieve much higher skills in much sorter time - and don't need to commit to such a long period of time.

What do you intend to do the remaining 164 hours per week? And will this be enough to keep you happy where you are for a full year?

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@SavingwithBabies
I attempted negotiating to no avail, negotiating is socially accepted here. If I did a 6 month course, then added the next 6 months, they said it would be the same rate to add the next 6 months. I asked a receptionist though and they tend to have the least leverage/motivation to make sales so I will try again.

@taemoo
I get ~29% discount.

An education visa is a large factor in this decision. All administrative fees for the visa are includes but I have to pay at the immigration office for the visa itself. They will hand me all the required documents and prepare them for me.

@Eureka
I had not considered that. All the schools I have looked at tend to offer 4 hours per week for an education visa program. There are some more intensive programs available but they are more expensive. The remaining hours will be covered by walking around town, dating, getting massages, eating good food. I practice when I can but with the elementary capacity I currently have, I can't hold a long conversation yet. I will ask more about that at the trial class today.

The University here sadly has the worst reputation among the schools for taking payment for the full program but not refunding if Visas don't go through so they are off the table. Another school offers classes 5 days a week for 2 hours a day for 6 weeks but this feels too intensive for me. It takes away a lot of the freedom I love here. I was planning on studying and practicing outside class and potentially taking the other class as well for a short time to build up to conversation and reading at a passable level sooner. Plus, back up plan of heading to the beach and keep taking classes from there if I get bored here or the aqi drops too much in a few months for agricultural reasons.

The area I want to stay right now with my $100/month home is near one school but the other school also has some decent cheap homes. The current school is further from my ex so I value the distance right now.

You inspired me to do some math, which made me realize, the school I am looking more into charges a 50% premium per hour but requires less hours for visa. The other school appears to have less consistent quality in their teachers but charges less per hour. ~$660 for 180 hours in a 3 month visa. So it is more expensive for a long term visa but offers more hours of learning. I will visit them again to see if they offer other visa programs, but I may just see if the teacher there for a specific term is good and take that to supplement my main choice until I feel up to par. ~$150 for a 60 hour, 6 week course.