SOS: 3 hours to decide whether to quit career or "improve"? / :

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
FBeyer

Re: SOS: 3 hours to decide whether to quit career or "improve"? / :

Post by FBeyer »

distracted_at_work wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 pm
...I had a summer student use earphones in our open floor plan and it was enraging for all of us in the office. Between that disengagement with the work...
What God awful job do you do, where blocking out the cacophony of an open office is FROWNED upon? I sit in a 6 man office and I get close to zero work done if I'm not wearing headphone.

Does you job involve a lot of calculus, programming and/or topology or do you have one of those jobs where productivity is measured by how fast your lips and arms are moving while seated in a cubicle?

I just want to make 100 percent sure that your current job environment will never 'happen to me'.
TopHatFox wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm
...Also, I think there's a large problem in a lot of the FIRE boards. It's all "let's stick it through for 5-10 years in hell" to be free later. Fuck that....
Being miserable due to your primary source of income is bad systems thinking, that's for sure.
Also: Violation of Proper Response or Pareto thinking.

distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm
That said, I'm looking for a new job now, one that I'm suited better for and that doesn't treat me like shit. "The real world" is big, and there are less-stressful jobs in better places than NYC. I don't give a shit if it may pay less, the better quality of life is worth it.

I'd turn the question around on you both and ask whether your careers are worth having around if they may or may not make you miserable daily?
Good answer. I think you'll find it then. To answer your question, yes, I like what I do. In my last three jobs (counting summers) I was miserable daily so I can relate to what you were going through. I viewed that as necessary sacrifice and I'm glad I did it. It enabled me to get reputation to have this better job fall into my lap.

The reason I got into ERE was due to those original jobs though. That's still the plan, it's just a much more pleasant road.
FBeyer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am
What God awful job do you do, where blocking out the cacophony of an open office is FROWNED upon? I sit in a 6 man office and I get close to zero work done if I'm not wearing headphone.
Engineering + sales. We're a 5-man crew sitting in a corner office; always chatting about projects, new clients etc or maybe just bullshitting if it's a slow afternoon. I'd struggle going back to the isolation of a solo office after this.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

distracted_at_work wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am
FBeyer wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am
Engineering + sales. We're a 5-man crew sitting in a corner office; always chatting about projects, new clients etc or maybe just bullshitting if it's a slow afternoon. I'd struggle going back to the isolation of a solo office after this.
I take that back. That's not awful, you're just so good at your job that you don't need to concentrate as much as I have to. I NEED specially curated music to make the most out of my workday. I'm not talking smooth jazz, rage against the machine or Katy Perry here...

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Don't know exactly where THF worked/s, but it sounds like a typical entry-level position in NY finance. THF didn't have the skillset (power point and excel skills) or the personality (always-on) to do the job. There's literally nothing for THF to take away from this other than that it's a shitty job in a shitty industry full of shitty, insecure people (yes I just indicted an entire industry). They thrive on making you feel like worthless shit if you "can't hack it" doing the bullshit job of perfectly editing excel spreadsheets or power point slide decks as if it's some prerequisite to be a fucking genius. It's so stupid. Chalk this up as an experience not worth repeating and move on.