Advice on starting a new job

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
sl-owl-orris

Advice on starting a new job

Post by sl-owl-orris »

Hi everyone!

I'm starting a new job on Monday and I was wondering if you wise folks have any advice / reading recommendations to make the transition easier for me.

A little background:
For the past year, I've been supporting myself with freelance projects, tutoring, jobeekers benefit and savings. I enjoyed the lifestyle, but not so much the need to touch my savings. Since I didn't find a way to make my side gigs pay me enough so that I can support myself and save, I decided to find a job which I have a potential of not hating. So I'm starting on Monday on an entry level job in a government institution. I like the central location, great health and pension scheme, but most of all, the ethical aspect of the position, which is helping people and environment.

Since it's been a while since I had a 'proper' job, I'm a bit anxious.

Two things that came to my mind:

1) Entering a new environment gives me an opportunity to present myself the way I want to. No one there will know anything about me unless I say or imply it, so they will probably assume I'm 'normal'. The problem is I'm not normal in the meaning of average, and just like with most people on this forum, my lifestyle may be considered extreme (ER oriented, vegan, no kids by choice etc.). I don't want to lie for obvious reasons, but I don't want to be labelled as 'weird girl, stay away' on the very first day. I know there are supporters or 'assuming the mask at work' method, and 'stay true to yourself at all times, and ignore ignorants' method, but both seem a bit extreme. Any tips on finding the middle ground?

2) I find it really difficult to remember names and faces. Obviously, staying focused on that and making the effort on the first day and later on will pay off.

Anything else I should consider or read before starting? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

slowtraveler

Re: Advice on starting a new job

Post by slowtraveler »

On 1)
You're under no obligation to share anything with anyone. How would Er-oriented vegan without kids come out on the first day unless that is all you identify as or you volunteer it? There will be many interests people have in their life so you can find other things to talk about other things if you don't want to share with some one.

Be graceful and there's a good chance people won't bother you, the focus of everyone should be the work not the intimate details of your life.

rfgh

Post by rfgh »

2) Shake their hand, look them in the eyes, and repeat their name to them (“Nice to meet you, John”). Then at the end say “Good bye, John”.

subgard

Post by subgard »

http://www.google.com/search?q=improv+c ... nversation

Practicing this kind of conversation helps you to focus on others and not worry so much about their judgements of you. And, people will enjoy interacting with you, even if they think you're weird.

sl-owl-orris

Post by sl-owl-orris »

@Felipe @rfgh @subgard

Thank you, folks, for your valuable advice. Thanks to you I had a quite successful first day at work.