How to make the next 5 years of hardcore accumulation really good ones?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
FrugalFred

Re: How to make the next 5 years of hardcore accumulation really good ones?

Post by FrugalFred »

I too am trying to figure out how to stay sane during the accumulation phase. I've hated every minute of my life since I started working. Here's my routine:

- 1 hr and 10 min commute to work
- *fake stupid smile* "Hello Bob, hello Jim"
- 8 hours of being on fight-or-flight mode, struggling to get everything done, knowing that any misstep could result in my termination
- 1 hr and 10 min commute home
- read retirement blogs / dread the next day for 2-3 hours, then go to bed
- repeat

Weekends are spent in bed reflecting, planning, and trying to recover from the previous work week to some degree. I don't go out. I don't date.I don't spend on luxury items. To me, not having an ERE stash is an emergency situation.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

that sounds depressing. just because humans plan to ERE doesn't mean they have to hate every minute of their life until then. brute thinks this "death march to FIRE" is a terrible idea. why doesn't FrugalFred find a job that's fun?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 pm
There is something about being in ones 20's that makes jobs/careers more tolerable. I believe it has to do with comradery and youthful optimism.
You can tough out a lot more when you're young. Do your struggling when you're young.

When I look at some of my first good gigs I would have killed for them at the time. Now I wonder how I subjected myself to that crap. Youth is great. So work with your best tools.

As for supercharging your money getting, come up with a profitable and efficient side gig. Preferably scalable. whatEver profit you make invest.