Buying a Government Job?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
tradfgh

Buying a Government Job?

Post by tradfgh »

I want to work for the government again, but I can't find anyone who is willing to hire me for any work.

A lot of government jobs are kind of "given" to family members, for example in the last office I was in about 1/2 the people had a spouse, inlaw, brother or sister working at the same county.

Is it legal for me to offer government workers about $20,000 usd for a $20 an hour janitor job?

Or would I be breaking the law for making an offer to a government worker?

Salathor

Re: Buying a Government Job?

Post by Salathor »

LOL. Don't do it.

If you really want to get hired, don't be a weirdo during interviews and learn to ace the civil service exam.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

If I had a government job for sale, I'd sell it to you for half that. Never met anyone who was satisfied with one.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

That's usually called "bribery". Illegal in most places. Very common in most places.

Nepotism, on the other hand, is not necessarily illegal. Sometimes its just frowned upon.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Legalities aside, I am surprised you would even consider it. Such a waste of money.

Surely you dont need to grovel to obtain a job. Sounds like you should be more confident than you are. You are rich you can do whatever you want. Just start doing something. Some kind of job and then segue into something else as the opportunity arises or connection becomes apparent.

Do you live in a sparsely populated area or something? The hiring of relatives seems to be a pretty slack and dysfunctional recruitment process. Dont think I would want to work somewhere that follows such practices.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

In 30 years I've never seen any nepotism in my part of the USDA. I don't even know how it would work. I'd sell my job if I could!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Even if you don't get immediately slapped down, entering a relationship based on a bribe is the antithesis of the solid working foundation you should be looking for. The best case is that you work for a corrupt boss who knows you're desperate. Surely there are better options.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Why would you waste your life as a janitor if you have enough money to be FI?