Oxford versus Karolinska

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
C40

Re: Oxford versus Karolinska

Post by C40 »

If it's very important to you personally to be able to say "I went to Oxford" to impress people, go to Oxford.

Otherwise, go to Karolinska.

In either place, rent out a room somewhere. Put off the van thing until you can travel in it. Don't buy a Vanagon or Kombi. They look really cool, but they are old now and have nearly all gone to shit mechanically. If you try to drive one, you'll probably be fixing CV joints left and right and probably have to rebuild the engine a few times.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

you can always get a six month lease i
No- unless you are willing to pay lots, or find someone who is willing to rent you a room. The rental housing market in Stockholm is broken.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

EMJ wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 12:16 am
you can always get a six month lease i
No- unless you are willing to pay lots, or find someone who is willing to rent you a room. The rental housing market in Stockholm is broken.
Ah okay. Not sure exactly the rooming situation in Stockholm is.

Sorry about that.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Are you a social person? Or an introvert?

As an introvert, my opportunity to use the Prestige of Oxford would be very limited. So, if you are wired like me, I would say avoid Oxford.

However, most people are not like me. Most people would have use for te brand name.

You talk about going into politics/ working for NGOs. Is this because you have no ideas about how you want to spend time in the real world, and that answer works among your peers, or do you think you are a good fit for those? I don't ask because I care. I ask because you need to know to make a good decision.

So, my advice is if you are going careerist, go Oxford, skip the van, and network. If not, don't.

As to van living, that gets exponentially harder as population density and prosperity go up. Oxfordshire seems to score high on both counts. Go down the streets in Google maps, and try spotting free parking. If you choose to do this anyway, use Google maps to look for a greenhouse big enough to park in, thru the winter...

Either way, good luck.

Disclaimer: I didn't go to college. My advice is based on observation. Jacob's would be the opinion I would weigh most heavily, here.

Fiddle

Post by Fiddle »

Regarding living in a van in Oxford while studying. I would say it is possible but possibly not worth the it while studying at Oxford.

You might miss out on some of the social life of university and importantly you will have another factor to constantly be aware of - your van life, while your peers don't.

This is a good link for everything Oxford. https://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/

I lived in Oxford and the surrounds for several years some years ago and during that time I lived in a van for a few months. Oxford is a great place to live and to be able to say you went to Oxford Uni for the rest of your life, lucky person.

While in the van, I had a great time and found golden spots to park in, lots of places to go in the evenings and excellent free wash facilities. For what its worth I was there from February to April so I had some splendid weather and dark evenings to deal with.

The locals were generally friendly and I always moved about a bit while parked in residential streets.

I really know nothing about the other Uni, but Sweden looks a great place too.

PsAi

Post by PsAi »

I hadn't realized that there were more responses to this.

Quick update on the van front:

I've been fixing it up over the last few months and after all the work I put in it, will definitely go for living in it - no matter the place. It passed the warranty of fitness and is good to go for two years. Certainly, something will break down on the way, but I feel prepared for that.

Quick update on the #chooseauniversityfront:

I did a lot of reading and thought about some of the comments here and also gathered feedback from friends, family, and supervisors. By now, I am quite determined to go Oxford.

Why?
Short answer: Because it's Oxford.
Long answer: After diving into the realm of Oxbridge, weighing the university life, quality of teaching and its clout in virtually all fields off against the Karolinska Institute, I have come to the conclusion that going to Oxford is the better choice. The most important thing for me at this point is that I will have more optionality with a degree from Oxford than from Karolinska. Lastly, the possibilities that come with having gone to "Oxford" are a convincing argument for me as much as the impression that one makes on others when saying "I went to Oxford". Certainly, something that I will enjoy.

The drawback is the tuition, but I hope to work that out soon.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@PsAi

Have you read the book 'status anxiety''?

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

James_0011 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 pm
@PsAi

Have you read the book 'status anxiety''?
Written by an oxbridge graduate.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Isn't that the point of the book? The author has high status but realizes it isn't that great...

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

There is real value to be derived from a good education, going to Oxford will open doors for PsAi. That is quite different to splashing out on shiny baubles to impress your friends which is what the book is about.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@ducknalddon

Karolinska is ranked higher than several ivy league schools...

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry »

I guess you've already decided and I don't have any suggestions to give but I have been working at Karolinska Institutet and I live quite close to the university, if you have any specific question feel free to ask.

PsAi

Post by PsAi »

Yup I'm decided to go to Oxford. Just bought the ferry ticket for the van. If I get around, I'll add some of the story to the journal. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys.

pukingRainbows

Post by pukingRainbows »

I don't think you'll regret it.
All the best! I'm looking forward to hearing about how it goes.